Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default New Jersey's Continental Arena to Become Izod Center

Quote:
Oct. 4 (Bloomberg) -- New Jersey's Continental Airlines Arena will soon be renamed the Izod Center.

The state's Sports and Exposition Authority today awarded a $1.4 million-a-year contract for arena naming rights to Izod, a unit of Phillips-Van Heusen Corp. Izod beat two other clothing companies, Iconix Brand Group Inc.'s Rocawear and Fort Lee, New Jersey-based Southpole.

New Jersey sought bids from companies interested in the naming rights in August after Continental Airlines Inc. backed out of its $1.3 million annual contract because the facility lost the New Jersey Devils hockey team. The new name will be launched Oct. 31 when the New Jersey Nets basketball team opens its season at home against the Chicago Bulls, said George Zoffinger, the authority's chief executive officer.

``This is a rebirth for this arena,'' Zoffinger said in an interview after the authority's board meeting. ``It gives us an opportunity to show that this arena is very viable.''

New Jersey chose Izod's offer over a $1.4 million bid from Rocawear and a $2.1 million bid from Southpole, Zoffinger said. Izod's bid was selected because the company promised cash as well as a marketing package, said Carl Goldberg, authority chairman.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...IUc&refer=home

We certainly dodged a close one... Could you imagine the arena being called Rocawear Center?

Though I have to say, The "Izod Center" is almost as bad...

Last edited by insidehoops : 10-05-2007 at 01:28 PM.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: New Jersey's Continental Arena to Become Izod Center

Actually the Rocawear center wouldn't be bad.

" Lakers are playing at the Roc"

It doesn't sound as bad. Izod center? When I first read it, I thought you mistyped IPod.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It would've been great if it was called the iPod centre instead.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Izod center.

I actually like the sound of that.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

Have they even broke ground on the new arena in Brooklyn yet? I haven't heard much about it, other than it's still some litigation involving the land.

BTW, I seen some photos of the new Prudential Center in Newark...that place is gonna look real nice. To compare it, the Pru's interior looks almost exactly like the Toyota Center in Houston. The Prudential Center is going to be metro NYC's newest sports facility since the soon-to-be Izod Center opened in 1981. Of course, the Mets and Yankees' new stadiums open in 2009, the Giants and Jets new stadium will open in 2010, and they plan on building a new Madison Square Garden within five years or so.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

You guys do know what Izod is right?

Izod were the clothes dorks and yuppies wore. Little polo shirts with the little alligators on them.

It definitely could be worse though. I had to suppress a chuckle every time Boston played at the FleetCenter. Fleet is the leading manufacturer of enemas. It seemed incredibly fitting that the Celtics home games were hosted by the makers of a product to clean your ass out.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley

Izod were the clothes dorks and yuppies wore. Little polo shirts with the little alligators on them.

It definitely could be worse though. I had to suppress a chuckle every time Boston played at the FleetCenter. Fleet is the leading manufacturer of enemas. It seemed incredibly fitting that the Celtics home games were hosted by the makers of a product to clean your ass out.

No, that Fleet was a locally-based bank that was the title sponsor of what's now the TDBanknorth Garden.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

Wow, I like CAA better.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
RomoSexual

IZOD SUCKS :
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
Wow, I like CAA better.
the Canadian Automobile Association?
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
Wow, I like CAA better.

I always referred to it as the Meadowlands, but why Izod? Brendan Byrne is probably laughing his ass off as we speak.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

You are thinking of Lacoste , but Izod does clothing too.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
You are thinking of Lacoste , but Izod does clothing too.

I found a link on it, because I specifically remember them as Izod shirts, and they were.. Izod and Lacoste were merged until 1993.

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shirts/438

In 1951, Lacoste partnered with Vin Draddy, a garment manufacturer who called his company Izod, after Jack Izod, a London tailor he admired. By the ’60s, the “alligator shirt” had become a de rigueur part of the preppy uniform. Although Lacoste continued a licensing conquest of the world, the shirt (and preppies) drifted out of popularity in the late ’80s. In ’93, Lacoste split with Izod and began a revival of the reptile.

I never heard of Lacoste, the shirts were always branded as "Izod". I couldn't stand the damn things. I'd always get them from my family for Christmas or birthdays, and I'd always just toss 'em :)

And I had no idea that there was a banking company named Fleet. I guess it's not too surprising though, there are tons of local banks with weird names all over the country that end up getting eaten up by bigger banks at some point. I always thought that Boston' Fleet was the pharmaceutical company. Never knew where they were headquartered anyway.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ocean Pacific wouldn't ante up, huh?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Wasn't Izod a private and preppy clothing store?
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: