Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #16
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Default Re: Arenas 60pt performance vs. the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
wow, ONLY 15 more points?

That's nothing right?

I guess the difference between a 28 point scorer and 13 point scorer aint that big

Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #17
icewill36
Local High School Star

gilbert scored like 17 points on kobe in the last few minutes of the game and OT... kobe definitely got torched at the end of the game
icewill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 AM   #18
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
He only scored 15 more points that kobe, dished the same amount of assists and kobe grabbed 2 more boards, Gilbert didnt exactly Sh*t on him...
no.

Gilbert completely embarassed Kobe. he got 60/8/8, most of those points in the fourth quarter and OT, in LA.

and if you watched the game you'd know that Kobe's performance wasn't nearly as good as the numbers seem. 40/10/8 or whatever he had looks like one of the great performances of all time. but it just wasn't. Kobe didn't take over- his jumpers just went in early on more than usual.

the reason the Lakers lost that game, as I recall, was that Kobe, and his team were hitting all their 3s early, and they kept shooting them. but they started to miss. and when they started to miss Kobe disappeared completely. but for the first 3 quarters, it was on, Kobe was hitting 3s and passing to guys who hit 3s.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 AM   #19
shadow
Laker fan here

I saw that one live...man that was a heartbreaker. We should've won the game in regulation. My buddies and I left the stadium shaking our heads not knowing if were were lucky to have seen a guy play that insanely well or cry over the fact that the Laker's had squandered away yet another game we should've won.

Well probably more of that latter to look forward to this year so I'll count myself lucky to have seen that. Definitely one of the best games I've seen, even if we lost. It was an intense experience.

Edit: You know I'm not sure if I recall correctly but didn't gilbo score his 15 points on Kobe in OT? I think up till regulation he and Kobe were pretty much even. He just took over OT while Kobe choked on offense. (Gilbo was in a zone, you just can't stop a guy when he's that hot).

Last edited by shadow : 10-06-2007 at 04:55 AM.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #20
JPR
Banned

yeah, that's what ruined Gil. he got so focused on dropping 60 again that he lost all concept of what really mattered. if he stayed within himself and continued to grow off of that, i guarantee he would never have gotten injured because his mind frame would not have allowed it.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #21
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
I guess the difference between a 28 point scorer and 13 point scorer aint that big

Kobe took less shots and shot a higher %, the main reason Gilbert clearly outdid Kobe in that game was because of his remarkable clutch play, that carried his team past the Lakers. Gilbert also took 17 more free throws then Kobe, mainly because he was being aggressive and Kobe wasn't.

Kobe wasn't nearly as aggressive as Gilbert in that game, I thought he actually had one of his best games in a lose, of his career.

Quote:
but for the first 3 quarters, it was on, Kobe was hitting 3s and passing to guys who hit 3s.

Kobe did score 9 points in the 4th quarter, to help LA come back from a 10 point deficit and take it to OT. Unfortunately this was Gilbert's night and he torched LA in OT.

It's Ok though, Kobe did out perform him and their next meeting.
In a 118-102 win for LA.

Kobe: 39 points (14 for 26), 6 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals
Gilbert: 37 points (9 for 29), 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #22
kidachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
Kobe took less shots and shot a higher %, the main reason Gilbert clearly outdid Kobe in that game was because of his remarkable clutch play, that carried his team past the Lakers. Gilbert also took 17 more free throws then Kobe, mainly because he was being aggressive and Kobe wasn't.

Kobe wasn't nearly as aggressive as Gilbert in that game, I thought he actually had one of his best games in a lose, of his career.

Kobe did score 9 points in the 4th quarter, to help LA come back from a 10 point deficit and take it to OT. Unfortunately this was Gilbert's night and he torched LA in OT.

It's Ok though, Kobe did out perform him and their next meeting.
In a 118-102 win for LA.

Kobe: 39 points (14 for 26), 6 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals
Gilbert: 37 points (9 for 29), 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal

a bit homer-ish. hmmmmm. :)
Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #23
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Which part?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #24
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

LA- ignore his dumb point about 28pts vs. 13pts. it has nothing to do with the reality that Gilbert embarassed Kobe and Kobe's performance wasn't as great as his numbers.

again, Laker fans shouldn't see this as a threat- I'm not saying Gilbert's the better player. it's because Kobe's the better player that makes it all the more embarassing that Gilbert scored 30+pts in the 4th quarter and OT on him in his house. to say Kobe wasn't embarassed just lowers the standards for the guy I'd think.

Quote:
yeah, that's what ruined Gil. he got so focused on dropping 60 again that he lost all concept of what really mattered. if he stayed within himself and continued to grow off of that, i guarantee he would never have gotten injured because his mind frame would not have allowed it.
no parts of what you're saying are true, but you're JPR so I'll save myself some time and let your reputation speak for itself.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #25
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

I seriously doubt Kobe with his knee was guarding Gilbert all game long, Gilbert might have scored 30 points but it wasn't all against Kobe.

Even if it was, which I'm 100% it wasn't (to an extent, I'm sure Kobe guarded Gil on numerous plays)...what's so impressive about scoring 60 on Kobe with a bad knee? To me it's like dropping 60 on any other mediocre defender in this league. Kobe all game long was settling for jumpers because he was scared of driving inside with his bad knee.

Plus as hot as Gil was that game, you really think it would have made a big difference of who was guarding him...guy was making everything.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #26
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Gil scorched La. Come on now.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #27
hotsizzle
Superstar

Not sure if this is every FG Gil made that game...I think it is, I remember a lot of FTs.

Made a total of 6 FGs on Kobe...3 threes in Kobe's face, one sick three point play, and 2 layups (one by just burning Kobe to the rim, other was off of a nice cut to the rim). 16 total points on Kobe...did it when it mattered most in 4thQ and OT. Man deserves props...but dont say he dropped 60 ON Kobe. He dropped 60 on the Lakers. He outplayed Kobe. He clearly outdueled him when the game was on the line. And 60 is impressive no matter how you look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2XO28YRYU
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #28
barito
I airball my layups

lol no matter how you put it Gil dominated Kobe that game, Sadly he didnt do that well in the second game I thought gil was gonna bring it again
barito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #29
yeaaaman
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
I seriously doubt Kobe with his knee was guarding Gilbert all game long, Gilbert might have scored 30 points but it wasn't all against Kobe.

Even if it was, which I'm 100% it wasn't (to an extent, I'm sure Kobe guarded Gil on numerous plays)...what's so impressive about scoring 60 on Kobe with a bad knee? To me it's like dropping 60 on any other mediocre defender in this league. Kobe all game long was settling for jumpers because he was scared of driving inside with his bad knee.

Plus as hot as Gil was that game, you really think it would have made a big difference of who was guarding him...guy was making everything.

you realize you just basically said whats so special about scoring 60 points... 60 points in the nba isnt easy, on top of that he had a near triple double... i dont care who thats on, thats impressive
yeaaaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
Loki
Banned

Sizzle, I didn't watch the video you posted, but I remember watching a youtube video of that game and Arenas had like 22-23 points on Kobe in the second half (it was all on one side of the court; I don't think Kobe guarded him the first half from what I saw, which showed all Arenas' makes). It was 7 FG's (three 3's) and 5-6 FT's iirc.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: