Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far
Default Anyone know about computers?

So I'm trying to buy a laptop mainly for back to school. My computer is old and really slow. Everytime I put my Itunes on, 2 minutes into it the sound goes off...it lags really bad whenever I try to watch videos on it. I know I need a new sound card and video card, but I'd rather have a portable laptop that's good quality. I don't really want to spend 2000 bucks on a laptop, but I've see a Toshiba laptop for 799 CND. The specs impressed me but then again I'm not a computer wiz.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10 089657&catid=
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Anyone know about computers?

Heard of them...I don't know, know them though.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

looks fine for everyday use and listening to music and such, and i can say that my older toshiba lap top has been a really good computer, it has never given me one problem and i abuse it at times... the only thing i have had to do was replace the battery a year ago....
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

This looks like a good laptop for you needs. a 160 GB hard drive with a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor... 1 Gig of Ram, expandable to 4... SVideo... This laptop's a great value.

Let me ask you this... what are you going to use it for primarily?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

The thing is massive, not really a portable machine at 3.3kg 17"
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
The thing is massive, not really a portable machine at 3.3kg 17"

Yeah, that's why I asked him what was the primary use. If it's something he will find himself carrying around often, he'll want something smaller and that runs a little longer on battery power.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Yeah, that's why I asked him what was the primary use. If it's something he will find himself carrying around often, he'll want something smaller and that runs a little longer on battery power.

ya, i love my lappys light and small. Won't get one over 14" now. I found 12" a little small, but great for carrying around. 13.3 is the sweet spot for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
Let me ask you this... what are you going to use it for primarily?

Mainly music, homework, poker and networking...MSN etc.
Not video games, I rarely watch movies on computers...but I just found a 10 month old Toshiba, 1.8 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 120 GB HHD...retail is 1400, it's a better version then the one I found at future shop. The guy said 670 or best offer... I asked if he can sell it for 500, if he accepts...I'll buy it. It looks really nice too.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
kumquat
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
Mainly music, homework, poker and networking...MSN etc.
Not video games, I rarely watch movies on computers...but I just found a 10 month old Toshiba, 1.8 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 120 GB HHD...retail is 1400, it's a better version then the one I found at future shop. The guy said 670 or best offer... I asked if he can sell it for 500, if he accepts...I'll buy it. It looks really nice too.

What model is it?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
TheBluest

MacBook(Apple) Gateway Mseries(Windows)

THE END!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #11
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

this is what i have... http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

works amazing, i havent hadany problems with it ... i dont experience any lagging with any programs..and its really cheap for a laptop
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ23365510

This guy wants 800 dollars for it, he bought it for 3000 dollars 2 years ago.
This machine is ridiculously powerful.

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry and interest in my ad.

I originally had this listed at $1200 or best offer and eventually figured out I was probably asking a bit too much. So I relisted this as best offer, hoping someone would make me a half decent offer. Since doing so, I have had offers mainly around 400-500, which is quite frankly giving this away! I recently bought a used 13" laptop for $350 not even 1/3 as good as the one I'm selling now! Why would I let this go for just a little more than I paid for that?? On top of that I paid about 3-4000 for this a couple years ago. This is a killer machine and just because it doesn't have HP stamped on it, people think it's a cheapo. In fact, it's probably much better than HP made from stock parts cos this is customised and can be upgraded with any parts whereas a lot of HP can only be upgraded/fixed with HP parts. (And same for all the other "brands")

To answer your question, a fair offer to me would be to receive $800 for this.

If no one wants to buy this for a good price, I will give it to my grandparents, or sell it when I go home to Australia in December. People would pay $1000 bottom for this over there.

Thanks again for your interest in my ad.

Him emailing me in regards to my reply...what you guys think?
I'm thinking about offering him 650 or 700...simply because 800 is a little too much for me...the computer is gorgeous though. I'm not sure what he means about the HP label not being on there, is he ripping me off? He seems genuinely nice.
And on his add he says no low ball offers, that kind of tells me it's a damn good computer.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
kumquat
College superstar

He's pretty much talking a lot of ****, Clevo's are budget machines so don't be expecting much on the quality side. and this machine isn't too powerful. The processor is a couple of years old, but should be good for what you use it for.

Numbers aren't everything. Example, the processor in this computer is a couple of generations old, which is a pentium 4 running at 3.2Ghz. It gets whipped by the latest generation of chips, a core2duo running at only 2Ghz. A bit confusing, but yeh it's nothing special like this guy is making it out to be.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

i have one Sony Vaio that's 7 years old........not one single problem. ever.

outdated as hell now but its fine for internet surfing/office docs.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

If you're willing to spend $600 you can get a new Gateway. Some might laugh but I've owned and worked with Gateways for years. The thing I like about them is you can buy anything off the shelf and it will work with them. Here's one from a Best Buy ad.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188558584033
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: