Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
sfpistonfan
I airball my layups

sfpistonfan has an OK reputation so far
Default Who's number one in the east?

what do you think about this?

1. Boston Celtics With three unselfish stars in Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett, the learning curve is shorter than most. They will dominate a conference with only three contenders (the others being Detroit and Miami).

2. Detroit Pistons They are one of the few teams that can only beat themselves. That's why they always believe it's a fluke when they lose. Experience wins, and Detroit's veterans can still get the job done.

3. Miami Heat Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade tasted the sweet smell of success two years ago and have the tools to get back to the NBA finals. With Alonzo Mourning leaving after this season, an aging Shaq gets one last real chance at another title before he's done.
sfpistonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Who's number one in the east?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpistonfan
... 3. Miami Heat – ...

Clearly not Miami. Just MAKING the playoffs is the goal for the Heat this year.

But back to the question. Do you mean best record after the regular season, best team going into the playoffs (not necessarily the same) or team that represents the east in the finals?

Best record: Det or Chi
Hot team going in: ??
East Champ: Boston (if they make the playoffs) else NJ
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far

If Chicago isn't in your top 3, then your not watching enough NBA.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Dirkules
Kids at the park dunk on me

Dirkules has an OK reputation so far

i think good chances have boston, detroit and chicago.

But 'm looking forward how the raptors will do this year.
Dirkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkules
i think good chances have boston, detroit and chicago.

But 'm looking forward how the raptors will do this year.
agreed, boston has high expectations and will be the best if they can live up to them (I am still concerned about their bigman depth and their pg positions- even though I like rondo). Pistons should be right there as one of the best teams in the east. Bulls as well, although their bigman rotation is pretty much a bunch of hustling athletes who can block shots and rebound but very raw offensively, a sf who can play the 4 and joe "im a bust" smith. Cleveland? Can they keep Z on the court enough? who is starting at the 1 or 2 (wherever they dont have larry hughes).

Beyond that, I expect jersey to be solid, toronto as well. Not sure about Orlando or really any of the southeast teams outside of Wash. Wow, so many of the good teams in the east could use one or two more quality bigs (Wash may keep tony massenburg?!?). Makes me appreciate the 4/5 rotation available to detroit since carlise took over. always 3 and generally more quality bigs on the team.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
sfpistonfan
I airball my layups

sfpistonfan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
Clearly not Miami. Just MAKING the playoffs is the goal for the Heat this year.

But back to the question. Do you mean best record after the regular season, best team going into the playoffs (not necessarily the same) or team that represents the east in the finals?

Best record: Det or Chi
Hot team going in: ??
East Champ: Boston (if they make the playoffs) else NJ

Good call. I see the Pistons on top... of the regular season! It will be difficult!!!. Chicago will replace Miami. Cleveland will be no where to be found unless they make some changes in the back.

The battle in the east may very well be the battle of no real big men in the middle. "Alot of 4'S improvising"
sfpistonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

I like Boston as the best team if I needed to win a game right now, but to me the Pistons' experience may get them to the finals again, and Afflalo/Stucky provide help off the bench that they didn't have last year. My #3 in the East is Chicago, although they could certainly be placed 1 or 2. I like all three of these teams, and each would put up a battle against the West in the Finals. If I needed to pick a team that would get all the way and my life depended on it or some crazy kid would come flailing knives at me, I would probably pick Detroit, with Chicago coming in a close second. I'm not quite sure how well the Celtics will do after an exhausting season, with a playoff run that they have to make right after the season. I just don't know if they can handle it.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
I like Boston as the best team if I needed to win a game right now, but to me the Pistons' experience may get them to the finals again, and Afflalo/Stucky provide help off the bench that they didn't have last year. My #3 in the East is Chicago, although they could certainly be placed 1 or 2. I like all three of these teams, and each would put up a battle against the West in the Finals. If I needed to pick a team that would get all the way and my life depended on it or some crazy kid would come flailing knives at me, I would probably pick Detroit, with Chicago coming in a close second. I'm not quite sure how well the Celtics will do after an exhausting season, with a playoff run that they have to make right after the season. I just don't know if they can handle it.

:

After seeing GS beat Dallas and the Cavs make the finals last year, there are probably 10 GM's in east thinking that IF they can just make it to the playoffs, they can go all the way.

Last edited by Good Old Willy : 10-11-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputation

#1: Detroit Pistons

I still think Detroit is tbe Beast in the East until something startling happens to the big starting four. And now that they have so many weapons waiting on the bench, I don't know how you can doubt them.

#2: Cleveland Cavaliers

I know they got issues right now concerning Pavlovic and Verajo, but how can you knock the team that just went to the Finals out of the top 3 in the East. No player in the NBA can cover LeBron James if he put his mind to it and stopped deferring the ball. (Case in point, he manhandled the Pistons singlehandedly.) They are the Eastern conference champions until proven otherwise.

#3: Chicago "Baby" Bulls

People said they weren't the baby bulls anymore after their regular season, but boy did they prove how baby they were once they met the Pistons. Strong young core and Big Ben in the middle to keep things sealed up. They could really make a move this year.

#4: Boston Celtics

This team has the biggest upside of any team in the East, yet they have the biggest downside, too. Ray Allen has had the injury bug nipping at him. Paul Pierce is fragile, as well. Keving Garnett is a TRUE SOLDIER, and there are no doubts in my mind about his game, but his body went through ALOT playing in Minnesota. So if any of their big 3 go down, their firepower drops significantly, especially since their bench migrated to Minnesota. But maybe Tony Allen will pick up where he left off before his knee injury.

And then, there is the rest of the East. LoL.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

Welcome, ZMonkey!

I may be in the minority, but I don't think any team in the NBA is going to let Lebron play 1 vs. 5 and win again. The Pistons need an enforcer willing to lay down a hard foul on him if he tries to take a free trip to the hoop like he did in last year's Eastern Conference Finals. Who has a mean streak? We need that blue collar effort this year, or some team will take that top spot that should be ours...

I expect Cleveland to be in the middle of the pack going into the playoffs this year.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputation

Thank you sir.

Cleveland has major problems this year. Even Damon Jones wants out. (Which I don't understand because he has the perfect penetrate and kick out player beside him in LBJ) But their main guy is still on the floor, and he doesn't have to play 1v5. That's what ISO is for. He can play 1v3 instead. lol.

On paper, it looks like at least 4 other Leastern teams are better than Cleveland, but I just can't kick them out of the top 3, you know?

And I full heartedly agree that the Pistons need someone to thug up the paint. Hopefully Maxiell will get stronger and he can be Ben Wallace light for years to come. That kid is a monster when he is dunking on the hoop.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
go_blue
High school junior varsity star

go_blue has an OK reputation so far

i think it is pretty accurate that the Celtics are going to do better than the pistons and the pistons will do better than the Heat but in the playoffs i believe the Pistons will go to the Confrence finals and the Celtics will go to the finals

Last edited by go_blue : 11-07-2007 at 09:14 PM.
go_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #13
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Celtics are a good team but they don't have the depth. I'm not sold on them yet. They have enough to make it to the second round or possibly the ECF but if they meet the Pistons in the playoffs they don't have enough to beat them in 7.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

Something about the Celtics screams 'built for the regular season' to me. They have to win basketball games, which means their stars will have to play nearly 40 minutes per game. After an 82 season grind, all 3 of them sat the last few weeks of the regular season out (Allen with ankle, Pierce with elbow, Garnett with something but I don't remember - please correct me if I'm wrong)

By the time they've played 90-plus games (including All-Star) and see the Pistons in the 2nd round or ECF, they'll be tired and ready for a nap. The youth on the Pistons (or any other team really) is able to give starters the rest they need to remain relatively fresh for the postseason. Not with Boston, because their team outside of the big 3 would struggle to compete in the D-League. They're not used to shooting first.

As for the rankings now, I'd say:

1 Detroit (good balance of youth and veterans still in prime)
2 Boston (stars will work very hard for this)
3 Washington (because someone has to win that division)
4 New Jersey (may be their last year to make noise)
5 Chicago (once they get Kobe they will start winning more)
6 Toronto (I've heard good things, but I think the jury's still out)
7 Cleveland (Lebron is the only good player here)
8 Atlanta (look very talented and Acie Law is for real)

Sorry New York, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando, Philadelphia, Indiana, Milwaukee - you're lottery bound.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #15
theoriginal14
Can barely lace up my sneakers

theoriginal14 has an OK reputation so far

here is the top 8 at years end

1 celtics
2 pistons
3 magic
4 cavs
5 raptors
6 bulls
7 wizards
8 heat
theoriginal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: