Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 10-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default Illinois fans (football related)

Explain to me why Mendenhall is a better rb than Ringer.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
mnsully15
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Illinois fans (football related)

Are you saying that he's not better than Ringer?
mnsully15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsully15
Are you saying that he's not better than Ringer?

Oh, I get it now....
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

He's bigger, probably just as fast, if not faster, better short-yardage runner. Plus, he's just one of those guys with a knack for scoring touchdowns- 12 TDs in seven games to I think only six for Ringer- and not just as a goal-line battering ram: he has TDs of 25, 50, 19, and 32 yards just off the top of my head.

I don't think he's a lot better, though. I think they're the two best running backs in the Big Ten, but Rashard is the better pro prospect because he gives you more consistency carry-to-carry with his size and ability to run between the tackles better than Ringer does.

If you're basing your opinion of him after watching the Iowa game, that's silly. The offense was out of sync (though both QBs, for the most part, actually threw the ball fairly well, aside from Juice's overthrow of Gamble in the end zone and Eddie's INT at the goal line) and Rashard didn't get the ball enough. Only 18 touches. He needs to have 25-30.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 10-15-2007 at 02:41 PM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

I totally agree that Mendenhall is a better pro prospect. Can't dispute that in any way, shape or form.

But, Ringer has just been running through teams this year. He had over 160 yards in the first half this week, but didn't run much in the second half. He's not the biggest back, but he still carries tacklers for yards. I'm not going to discount the fact that Caulcrick helps him out, but he does get the majority of the carries. On the other hand, Caulcrick does take away some TD's from Ringer, which could give him 2 or 3 more TD's by now.

By the time Mich and MSU play, Hart and Ringer could have the most rushing yards in the nation (I think they're 1 and 3 right now).

It's a shame MSU and Illinois don't play each other this season.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Even though Rashard is our workhorse, the multifaceted nature of our run game takes a little bit away from his yardage. Our QBs have around 400 rush yards, I think. There's been a few games where Daniel Dufrene or Troy Pollard got a good chunk of carries in relief of Rashard. Arrelious gets involved in the run game.

In a system like Michigan's, he'd probably average a yard per carry more than Hart and easily eclipse 2,000 yards.

I haven't seen MSU enough to know what kind of offense they're playing this year, if Dantonio has changed much, etc. So I can't really comment on Ringer aside from what I already knew about him. No doubt he's fantastic. Say what you want about the Big Ten, but the fact that one of the following five- P.J. Hill, Mike Hart, Javon Ringer, Rashard Mendenhall and Chris Wells- WON'T be even 2nd-team All-Big Ten shows the quality of running backs in this conference. Aside from McFadden and Jones at Arkansas, there aren't any backs in the SEC that I'd put with those guys.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Even though Rashard is our workhorse, the multifaceted nature of our run game takes a little bit away from his yardage. Our QBs have around 400 rush yards, I think. There's been a few games where Daniel Dufrene or Troy Pollard got a good chunk of carries in relief of Rashard. Arrelious gets involved in the run game.

In a system like Michigan's, he'd probably average a yard per carry more than Hart and easily eclipse 2,000 yards.

I haven't seen MSU enough to know what kind of offense they're playing this year, if Dantonio has changed much, etc. So I can't really comment on Ringer aside from what I already knew about him. No doubt he's fantastic. Say what you want about the Big Ten, but the fact that one of the following five- P.J. Hill, Mike Hart, Javon Ringer, Rashard Mendenhall and Chris Wells- WON'T be even 2nd-team All-Big Ten shows the quality of running backs in this conference. Aside from McFadden and Jones at Arkansas, there aren't any backs in the SEC that I'd put with those guys.

MSU is running a lot this year, but not all of those draws from last season. However they do pass more than some assume. It's a more traditional offense compared to what Smith had.

Just so you know Caulcrick has 500 yards rushing as the #2 guy as well as 13 TD's.

You're right about the Big 10 rb's >>>> SEC rb's. Hart is a fan favourite right now and high on Heisman lists, but he's omly been the 3rd or 4th most impressive back in the Big 10 this year.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: