Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

oldknickfan has decent reputation
Question Are the Knicks headed to the lottery?

After seeing both preseason games -- I am very disappointed with the Knicks. A 40-point loss to the Celtics and a 16-point deficit to the Kidd-less Nets.

Last season, the Knicks did not play much D , but they could score.

This season they have trouble playing on offence and on defence.

Now, the guards are not moving the ball well and the Knicks look like they will be a lottery team.

What do you think?
oldknickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
jlawdrummer
Serious playground baller

jlawdrummer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Are the Knicks headed to the lottery?

First of all, don't jump to too many conclusions based on pre-season games. Have you seen the minutes our guys are getting? Almost everyone getting 10 minutes, and I mean everyone, like 15 players. Even though some teams seem to be playing their stars more, or at least some on ISH are claiming they are, overall they're not really. Kobe played just 20 minutes last night, but he had like 20, 5,6 or something like that cuz he's a superstar. Pre-season is usually used to figure out what your depth chart will shape up to be, and a few position battles.

It always stinks to see your team lose, especially like they did to the Celts and to a lesser extent the Nets last night, but I for one am going to wait til we've played a few regular season games to voice my concerns.

On the plus side, at least THE KNICKS own THE KNICKS' 1st round draft pick this year, so if we were to head to the lottery, we'd get a lottery player, not a pick in the 20's.
jlawdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
bigfrank34
I brick open layups

bigfrank34 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawdrummer
First of all, don't jump to too many conclusions based on pre-season games. Have you seen the minutes our guys are getting? Almost everyone getting 10 minutes, and I mean everyone, like 15 players. Even though some teams seem to be playing their stars more, or at least some on ISH are claiming they are, overall they're not really. Kobe played just 20 minutes last night, but he had like 20, 5,6 or something like that cuz he's a superstar. Pre-season is usually used to figure out what your depth chart will shape up to be, and a few position battles.

It always stinks to see your team lose, especially like they did to the Celts and to a lesser extent the Nets last night, but I for one am going to wait til we've played a few regular season games to voice my concerns.

On the plus side, at least THE KNICKS own THE KNICKS' 1st round draft pick this year, so if we were to head to the lottery, we'd get a lottery player, not a pick in the 20's.

He's correct, many of the players are not playing big minutes, it reduces the chances of a player (particularlly a star player) from getting hurt before the season starts. Remember when Mcdyes went down during preseason?...same deal. Also, Marbury didn't play, Balkman was out, just as Houston and others. I think this was a way of tinkering with different pieces and seeing how they fit together. This way if the knicks lose, its alright because its preseason, it doesn't carry the same value as a regular season game. Also Curry had the biggest numbers in terms of time, but I think it was to see how he would do with the shoulder and tangible competition.
bigfrank34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Blue&Orange
MIAfan since Crusades

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Come on, most players are not in good shape, you cleary can see that, they are always slower to react. I don't think it's a bad thing, pre-season is were you lay the foundation of the season, so they should look tired, two weeks to go, let's wait at least a couple of league games.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't a preseason loss counts toward anything except HOW you lose.

Playing zero defense, having more turnovers than assists and inability to hit simple free-throw is not to be accepted.

By the way teams are playing these games a little more meanigful than I have seen in the past.

Stars playing over 20 a game in preseason is and indicator to the fact teams are utilizing these games to gel as a team most of all.

The Knicks should be doing this.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

The Knicks look as interested in these preseason games as most NFL players do.

The only game that you could tell they were the least bit interested was the Maccabi Elite game .
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Pre-season - no bigs.

Knickcity - true, not playing well is an indicator and those two first games looked bad.

Disagree though that all teams should be playing their stars. Its different for each team. Different approach is better different teams. Teams that are set on all positions (spurs) need to work on different things than team's with guys settling in for certain positions (Knicks) or teams with a bunch of new guys (Celtics). Smart people know that Boston are going to go and play a certain kind of season this year, and need to get their starters working as quickly as possible. That's why you see the Celtics playing their big guys 30 minutes a trying to win preseason games. It will take them 30-40 games to be good, and the sooner they go full throttle, the better their chance to not be too far behind in the first half of the season.

The knicks on the other hand have to set their rotation. They have enough bodies, most guys know how Thomas wants them to play. Knicks are not playing to win. They ae playing to improve and just make the plyoffs for once before the franchise starts really tanking. They CAN make the playoffs, but it's a big rusted machine and the gears have to slowly turn, each wheel catching properly before going full throttle.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

i dont think they are headed to the lottery. i think when the season comes they will be just fine. im not worried about the offense. the defense tho will be better when mardy, marbury, and balkman gets healthy.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Knicks as a team right now. Pay more attention to who is putting the effort in and playing well. Who has improved their game or at least is trying to.

These guys won't hit stride until about 1/3 into the season barring any injuries. We still have some injured players, guys coming back from injuries and some real question marks.

Plus a lot of new players.

The difference between us and the Nets last night was they had some crafty veteran players, we don't. They look deep on the bench, much more than anytime in the past.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people

Arn't both teams players out of shape? They are laying the foundation of losing. Setting the expectations soooo low that it even be hard for the Knicks to do worse than the rest of the league expects.
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

oldknickfan has decent reputation

The problem was not short minutes for the Knick starters in the Nets game. Curry, Crawford and Randolph all played over 30 minutes.

New players? Old players -- same story! Most of the Knicks have been together for years. Same lethargy, disinterest, lack of defence, poor chemistry, absence of play making, high turnovers, poor shooting and cluelessness.

So why did the Celtics and Nets outplay the Knicks?

The Celtics have more new players. In, fact they traded much (most?) of their team to get KG.

The Nets have more new players than the Knicks too.

The Knicks need more players who want to compete and play to win rather than those who just go through the motions.

Yes the knicks will get better as the season progresses. But, I do not see a championship contender here now or anytime soon.

Sadly, IMHO, the Knicks are closer to a lottery team than one who will win it all.
oldknickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: