Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Handome
Banned

Handome has an OK reputation so far
Default If you're not a special teenage rookie, you won't win ROY

Rookie of the Year ('97-'07)

2006-07 NBA Brandon Roy - 16.8/4.4/4.0

2005-06 NBA Chris Paul - 16.1/5.1/7.8

2004-05 NBA Emeka Okafor - 15.1/10.9/0.9

2003-04 NBA LeBron James - 20.9/5.5/5.9

2002-03 NBA Amare Stoudemire - 13.5/8.8/1.0

2001-02 NBA Pau Gasol - 17.6/8.9/2.7

2000-01 NBA Mike Miller - 11.9/4.0/1.7

1999-00 NBA Elton Brand - 20.1/10.0/1.9

Steve Francis NBA- 18.0/5.3/6.6

1998-99 NBA Vince Carter - 18.3/5.7/3.0

1997-98 NBA Tim Duncan - 21.1/11.9/2.7

1996-97 NBA Allen Iverson - 23.5/4.1/7.5

As you can see, LeBron is the only teenager to win the award in the last ten years. Amare and Paul were both 20 when they won it. It's basically an upper classman award.

I'm basically writing this to make you aware just how special LeBron is, and secondly, to illustrate exactly why Durant will have so hard of a time duplicating LeBron's rookie success.

I mean, there are peoiple out there throwing 22/6/3 statlines for Durant this season.

Being that Durant will be 19 for the entire season, history PROVES that people that young don't win the award. That's a fact. Due to lack of mental and physical maturity, I can fully understand why this is true. LeBron was the exception, not the rule. And I just feel for people to be so casually mention Durant's as an unquestioned ROY favorite is borderline asinine.

That is all for now.
Handome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: If you're not a special teenage rookie, you won't win ROY

I would prefer to call it "coincidence".
The Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Handome
Banned

Handome has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ownage
I would prefer to call it "coincidence".
"Coincidence" of what?

You're not making any sense. Teenage rookies have been drafted high for ten years now. The stats speak for themselves.
Handome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Before looking into this thread, I thought you (creator of this thread) originally meant that only teenage rookies win this award.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool

Mmm. Its 10:40 over here, so I'm kinda tired. I'll pwn you back tomorrow. Just remind me.
The Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So who do you think is going to win the ROY of Durant won't???

Hey wait a second, I recognize this user name. I have only seen you involved in threads putting Durant down; why the hate? (I could care less about Durant I'm just curious)
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ownage
Mmm. Its 10:40 over here, so I'm kinda tired. I'll pwn you back tomorrow. Just remind me.

10:40?!?!?? Yea, its really late. I guess people "over there" stop thinking at 10:40.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is a very obvious observation. Of course most ROY are not teens. The ones who usually win are ones with more expereince in college and more NBA ready. The diff between Durant is that he was able to play a year of college where in the past, most teens were comming out of high school. One year at college makes a huge difference in mental and physical growth. So in reality, out of all teens in the past, Durant should have the best chance at ROY because hes got a year in college under his belt.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
You're not making any sense. Teenage rookies have been drafted high for ten years now. The stats speak for themselves.

Stats don't tell the whole story of a player. Lebron James did not deserve the 2003-2004 roty award. Carmelo was the real 2003-2004 ROTY and actually led his team to the playoffs in a stronger conference.

There is no excuse for Lebron to have missed the playoffs that season. In other words, he was too hyped to win that award.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
So who do you think is going to win the ROY of Durant won't???

Hey wait a second, I recognize this user name. I have only seen you involved in threads putting Durant down; why the hate? (I could care less about Durant I'm just curious)
Thread starter is a fanatic of anything related to Ohio. Meaning he's a Greg Oden fan.

Since Durant is from Maryland, played ball at Texas, and is recognized as the better ball player than Oden, the thread starter will just keep hammering Durant.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Stats don't tell the whole story of a player. Lebron James did not deserve the 2003-2004 roty award. Carmelo was the real 2003-2004 ROTY and actually led his team to the playoffs in a stronger conference.

There is no excuse for Lebron to have missed the playoffs that season. In other words, he was too hyped to win that award.

some things that aren't connecting here.

I'm pretty sure Carmelo didn't get into the playoffs. You can prove me wrong, but Dwayne Wade was the only rookie of the trio to make it into the playoffs.

So really, Wade should've been the ROY.

And Lebron had no excuse for not making the playoffs? Maybe cause he was a rookie, and his supporting cast wasn't good at all.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz
some things that aren't connecting here.

I'm pretty sure Carmelo didn't get into the playoffs. You can prove me wrong, but Dwayne Wade was the only rookie of the trio to make it into the playoffs.

So really, Wade should've been the ROY.

And Lebron had no excuse for not making the playoffs? Maybe cause he was a rookie, and his supporting cast wasn't good at all.

The Nuggets went from 17-65 to 43-39 in Carmelo's rookie year, and were beaten by the T-wolves 4-1. LeBron James went from 17-65 to 35-47, failing to qualify for the playoffs. Dwyane Wade's Heat went from 25-57 to 42-40 in his rookie year. So overall, it seems that the Nuggets had more regular season success

*note that the Heat got past the first round
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is considered somewhat coolDengness9 is considered somewhat cool

Amare was straight out of HS obviously and despite being 20 had the same amount of basketball experience as Lebron, as in 4 years of Highschool. Everybody knows Lebron is special, but I have never seen a more ridiculous way to hype a player than your argument.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handome

As you can see, LeBron is the only teenager to win the award in the last ten years. Amare and Paul were both 20 when they won it. It's basically an upper classman award.

Guess what, Durant won all of the "upper classman awards" in college. Why won't he be able to do that this year as well?

Btw, I am a Blazer fan and has been a fan of Oden before he became a Blazer, but just because I am an Oden fan, doesn't mean "Durant won't win ROY." Try thinking rather than feeling for once.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: