Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here
Default How good was Ralph Sampson and how good could he have been?

A question for those that watched him, I've only seen him through espn classic.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How good was Ralph Sampson and how good could he have been?

sampson was one of the greatest college players in history

ralph was fabulous in the nba too. he was an extremely mobile 7'4" center-- but played more like a 4. especially after hakeem joined the rockets could play center and move ralph to the corner the rockets became a very good team-- and a very young team that did not get intimidated

the twin towers created all sorts of matchup problems. in 86 when the beat the lakers, there was a real fear in los angeles (where i lived in the mid 80s) that the rockets were the new game in the west.

after ralph hurt his knee, he was never the same. he had moments of greatness but it seemed he was tentative with his movement. he never regained his swagger
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

Ralp Sampson was somewhat before my time, but I hear from older people that he was great until injuries totally wrecked his career.

Houston was trying to run a "twin towers" thing with him and Dream, it didn't happen obviously. There's even a tale that floats around the city that Houston could've dealt Sampson to the Trailblazers for their 2nd round pick plus Drexler, since Portland was dying for a big man and Sam Bowie wasn't perceived as the prospect that Sampson was then. Don't know how much of that is true, but a team of Hakeem, Drexler, and Jordan would've been absolutely sick, a truly alltime great legendary team.

Back on topic though, can't really say how great he would've been, I started retaining memory of the NBA when he was a shell of whatever he once was.

Looked up his bio though and 7'4 at 228 pounds is absolute stick figureish.....no wonder the guy had injury problems, he didn't have the frame and mass to support all that hieght.

That's one of the things that scares me with Yao Ming. People don't realize how close his career could've ended with last year's injury. His leg break was at the top of the leg bone, at the knee. If that break in anyway messed with the cartilage in his knee, we're talking career threatening..........Luckily the break in no way shape or form messed with the cartilage.

Houston's football team (The Texans) has a promising young LT that suffured a similar break (more severe though, messed up his cartilage) and the nearest he's going to be cleared to play is next season........two years after the initial injury, still we won't know if we will be able to come back then.

Everytime Yao hits the deck I gasp......once guys go over 7'2 they tend to be not so durable. When Yao falls down he falls down in phases.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 10-22-2007 at 12:51 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This wont be very clear but...

Shareef Abdur Rahim mixed with Kg...but 5 inches taller.

Really well rounded. Even in Golden State his skills were obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNANtr9T-c

Bit of him in there. More Hakeem in the NBA but Ralphs college part is longer.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

One of the most unique players I've ever seen. 7'4" and he actually took the ball up court sometimes. LOL. imagine that. I'll never forget the pain of him hitting that prayer against the Lakers in game 3 to eliminate the Lakers.

The injuries screwed him up though. Ralph was a great player before the injury, very unique game and he could shoot and had range.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

I agree, a KG type with more rounded offensive skills
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

GREAT description. I am only 20 so i didn't get to watch Ralph(started watching the NBA in 1993) but I've studied his game through many old games. Sampson always seemed like a 7'4" KG to me too. He could post up but he could also handle the ball and play on the perimeter. Great passer for a big man too. I wish Sampson had stayed healthy and Sabonis had come to the NBA earier because they would have been the 2 greatest players over 7'3".
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

nice descriptions, thanks!
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Where's the Shareef part come in? he was lefty? can't remember but I don't think so.

Chris Bosh at 7.4.....even down to the build..Difference is BOSH would prefer to post you Ralph really preferred to blow by people face up or in transition. Not as many really strong bruisers around his time so he could still play in the post some what even with no mass.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Where's the Shareef part come in? he was lefty? can't remember but I don't think so.

Chris Bosh at 7.4.....even down to the build..Difference is BOSH would prefer to post you Ralph really preferred to blow by people face up or in transition. Not as many really strong bruisers around his time so he could still play in the post some what even with no mass.

this is true

ralph preferred to stay away from heavy contact and could score on you in different ways facing the basket

a decent mid range jump shooter but not quite as good as ewing in this area
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

From what I saw, Ralph was a 6'8" player in a 7'4" body. Only description I can come up with.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: