Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 07-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #121
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I think the media should take this new theory very seriously and incorporate it into their next top 10 list so you can have a list of "top 10 power forwards" followed by another list of " top 10 power forward players".

Difference is PG is the only meaningful position and has an important duty on the floor.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #122
hardfoul
I brick open layups

hardfoul has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
So thats why I am saying...

Stockton never even finished Top 6 in NBA MVP Voting...That is what everybody that of his value to the team...

And it really was Malone doing the scoring...Stockton was only giving it to him...It wasn't like Nash, give everybody the ball through Nash...It was always going to Malone and he was scoring, all Stockton had to do is to give it to Malone and he'd finish...

And remember

Payton beat Stockton, when both were in primes

Payton was the no.1 leader of his team

While Stockton was a no.2 guy

But Payton won, by DESTROYING Stockton...

(Look at stats at page 2)

You keep saying Stockton is the #2 guy, but I really don't agree. Stockton was CRITICAL to Malone's success (and the Jazz' success). He wasn't the #1 scoring option, but he touched the ball EVERY play and you can't even say that for Malone.

Payton is/was an awesome point guard and I think he's among the top 10 of all time (so far), but I still think Stockton made other players better while Gary led more by position/example/scoring. I think Stockton would have made Kemp DOMINANT (similar to Malone) if Kemp was willing to work like Malone was. GP couldn't even make Kemp dominant.
hardfoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #123
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfoul
You keep saying Stockton is the #2 guy, but I really don't agree. Stockton was CRITICAL to Malone's success (and the Jazz' success). He wasn't the #1 scoring option, but he touched the ball EVERY play and you can't even say that for Malone.

Payton is/was an awesome point guard and I think he's among the top 10 of all time (so far), but I still think Stockton made other players better while Gary led more by position/example/scoring. I think Stockton would have made Kemp DOMINANT (similar to Malone) if Kemp was willing to work like Malone was. GP couldn't even make Kemp dominant.
Well come on...

Almost every important PG gets the gets the ball each play...HE IS THE PG...

Payton hadn't even reached his prime offensively/Passing when Kemp quit...

Can't blame it on Payton...How would Stockton do if Kemp quit at like 1988 before anything big happens...

And Payton to Kemp combo was pretty good...

But like I said...There is a reason why he never finished Top 6 in MVP Voting (Payton once finished 3rd)...

Me, and other knew that Malone was the man in Utah...

Stockton Usually only gave it to Malone, no one else...Why? If Stockton was the no.1 guy, like Nash in Phoenix, everybody would have points, as Nash shhared the ball...But in Utah, Stockton to Malone...
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #124
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Stockton IMO was better than Payton in almost everything except defense.
Wow, do you know how stupid you sound?

Payton was better than Stockton at everything but passing and shooting

Payton was better than Stockton at

Rebounding
Defense
Driving
Posting
Overall Scoring

and more

Stockton really was only better at passing, because shooting is just a part of scoring, where Payton had the advantage...
Old 07-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #125
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

lebron_zoom has an OK reputation so far

Stockton was also better at stealing, and I would say Stockton was a better scorer, you cant take only points into consideration in this factor because of FG%.
lebron_zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #126
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Can't blame it on Payton...How would Stockton do if Kemp quit at like 1988 before anything big happens...

And Payton to Kemp combo was pretty good...

No you can't blame Kemp's implosion on GP that's 4 sure...but you can say that he wasn't beneficial to Kemp's growth in Seattle and he did stifle him at times......He never wanted to be out shone and that showed when he played with Kemp. At times when Kemp was dominating he'd go away from him without reason. George Karl and whoever signed Jim McIlvaine did the rest plus Kemp's a little off kilter...

Ah well.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #127
Niquesports
Good college starter

Niquesports has decent reputationNiquesports has decent reputation

this is the best way to put it. stock the much better pg the glove the much better player.depends on what the team needs to choice
Niquesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #128
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebron_zoom
Stockton was also better at stealing, and I would say Stockton was a better scorer, you cant take only points into consideration in this factor because of FG%.
Yes you have to factor in both...And Stockton had good FG%s...But so did Payton...

And you have to factor points more than FG%, otherwise, Curry > Duncan in scoring
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #129
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquesports
this is the best way to put it. stock the much better pg the glove the much better player.depends on what the team needs to choice
It is I guess...

We should just sum it off like that...

Payton is the better PG because he is the better player that plays PG...

Stockton is the better "Pure PG" because he has more PG Skills...

End of Discussion
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: