Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #61
-primetime-

Default Re: I Have A Problem With Bill Cosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
you are perpetuating way more of a stereotype and doing way more damage than Bill Cosby could ever do. Bill Cosby is just old, and old people hate new things.

Calling him a house negro shows the distain you have for anyone who deviates from contemporary black culture.

Why cant black people accept diverse opinions and views in their own community, without challenging someone's 'blackness' everytime they say they are against something.

And lets face it Hip Hop culture is a real beyotch. I am not even refering to gangsta rap either (I think the glorification of violence is the same as an action movie). Where Hip Hop culture fails black people is the idea that people need to aquire material goods and brand name items. This is killing people and messing up priorities.

Also, the idea of the big bad white suit telling the poor lil negro what to rap about is dead and gone. Most rappers have their own label and their own company.

The idea that blacks have to be edgy, urban, fashionistas and contemporary is setting up a false set of morals which is keeping many in the community from persuing other goals. It is the lack of acceptance in the black community of certain ideals (usually positive ones) that maintains the difficulty of the struggle black people have.
nice post sir...well put

very nice
Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #62
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickness
and guess who started calling them ni-ggas? whos to blame the white community but thats not my point. etiquette is overrated. I agree that they shouldn't be cussing at there kids. but there to strict on this ****. if youve seen south park they have this whole ni-gga guy episode where they ban the word ni-gger guy but not the word ni-gger. its just showing how corrupt the whole world is

dood...how the hell does that show how the world is corrupt? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #63
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
you are perpetuating way more of a stereotype and doing way more damage than Bill Cosby could ever do. Bill Cosby is just old, and old people hate new things.

Calling him a house negro shows the distain you have for anyone who deviates from contemporary black culture.

Why cant black people accept diverse opinions and views in their own community, without challenging someone's 'blackness' everytime they say they are against something.

And lets face it Hip Hop culture is a real beyotch. I am not even refering to gangsta rap either (I think the glorification of violence is the same as an action movie). Where Hip Hop culture fails black people is the idea that people need to aquire material goods and brand name items. This is killing people and messing up priorities.

Also, the idea of the big bad white suit telling the poor lil negro what to rap about is dead and gone. Most rappers have their own label and their own company.

The idea that blacks have to be edgy, urban, fashionistas and contemporary is setting up a false set of morals which is keeping many in the community from persuing other goals. It is the lack of acceptance in the black community of certain ideals (usually positive ones) that maintains the difficulty of the struggle black people have.

Nice Izzo, brilliantly put.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #64
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

Quote:

The thing is the people Bill Cosby can't help themselves. It's not like they can suddenly start going to the local library, pursuit higher education and grow up to become a successful and well educated person. Bill Cosby is attacking the problem in a cowardice manner. Instead of proposing solutions, he is stating the obvious. I mean if it was Oprah ripping the state of black America, it'd be alright because at least she is making a considerably bigger effort than Cosby to elevate the race.

No Cosby is just a coward; it'd be like Arnold Swarzenegger returning to Austria and ripping the state of the ghettoes and poor parts. I bet you the standard of living and education level among black Americans has improved over the past X years. Cosby is a radical dude and should be criticized more often for his ridiculous comments.

Lol, did the original poster question Cosby's blackness? "Ghetto passes" and things of that nature are a thing of a few years ago. Cosby's approach to the situation is the problem, not the fact that he wants a change in black America.

Do you know who rappers are? They are for the most part uneducated people who lived off of welfare checks for most of their lives. Rap is a means for considered hopeless people to make it out of the ghetto. The potential-less people... who can't hold a job for more than a week and who are dumber than a sack of potatoes. Hip Hop isn't failing black people. It is fulfilling its purpose; it is giving hope to the otherwise hopeless black folks stuck in the ghettoes. What do you want rappers to do with their money, get a college education? build libraries? ... They aquire material goods to show they have made it in life, not because there is a innate sixth sense inside of them telling them to spend all their money. It's like when a teenager first get a job, you are going to go on a spending spree when your first few paychecks come in.

The real beyotches are the black people who have made it with their brain, the government workers, scientists ... They should do like rappers and promote their lifestyle, ethics... I don't know the name of a single "smart" black person taking strides to elevate the race. So in a way, rappers are more beneficiary to the black culture than "smart" black people are.

The fact that RAPPERS own their own companies shows how far we have come as a country. Seemingly talentless people can become millionaires.

The idea that people expect rappers to set standards for black people is the sad thing. The fact that they are considered leaders in the black community is the sad thing. We need new leaders in the black world instead of looking at rappers to set the example for all of black America ... they can be example setters for those real poor, real dumb, real hood dudes stuck in the ghettoes with no way of getting out.
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #65
JPR
Banned

JPR has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
this is my opinion on bill cosby. personally i think he's a coward, a punk, and a bully. this is y i say this. he goes on white television shows pickin on and talkin bad about poor black people. he goes on this show and talks badly about hip-hop and all that. y doesnt he he go after white corporate america. y doesnt he go after white record labels who tell these artist to talk about these negative things. he have people like FOX NEWS and uncle tom happy niggas agreeing with him.

he thinks he's doing the black community good when picks on them and bully them. its easy to go after the poor black person because they have no voice in america, they cant go on tv and stand up for themselves. so punk ass bill cosby takes advantage of that. how can he go to sleep knowin that he insults and bully his own people. he's nothing but a house negro as far as im concerned.

Why do you think the media chooses to put this weak group you term as "poor black america" to the forefront of the music and entertainment industry?
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #66
JPR
Banned

JPR has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Fact is, there are far more decent hard-working law abiding black people who are making great contributions to America as whole than there are thugs. Problems is that the negative aspect of Black culture is getting more headlines and attention. Look at sports for instance. T.O. only gets mentioned when he says or does something controversial, yet it's a fact that he does all kinds of things for the underpriviledged but you never hear about it. At the same time we are flooded with puff pieces on the likes of Tedy Bruschi to represent "what's good" about our modern day athletes.

it's not just the thugs. it's all those people who have no motivation to better themselves. it could be a person who doesn't do drugs or crime but they still would rather show up to work just to get a check so they can buy some new shoes. there's a whole lotta young people out there like that now.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #67
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
The thing is the people Bill Cosby can't help themselves. It's not like they can suddenly start going to the local library, pursuit higher education and grow up to become a successful and well educated person. Bill Cosby is attacking the problem in a cowardice manner. Instead of proposing solutions, he is stating the obvious. I mean if it was Oprah ripping the state of black America, it'd be alright because at least she is making a considerably bigger effort than Cosby to elevate the race.

No Cosby is just a coward; it'd be like Arnold Swarzenegger returning to Austria and ripping the state of the ghettoes and poor parts. I bet you the standard of living and education level among black Americans has improved over the past X years. Cosby is a radical dude and should be criticized more often for his ridiculous comments.

Lol, did the original poster question Cosby's blackness? "Ghetto passes" and things of that nature are a thing of a few years ago. Cosby's approach to the situation is the problem, not the fact that he wants a change in black America.

Do you know who rappers are? They are for the most part uneducated people who lived off of welfare checks for most of their lives. Rap is a means for considered hopeless people to make it out of the ghetto. The potential-less people... who can't hold a job for more than a week and who are dumber than a sack of potatoes. Hip Hop isn't failing black people. It is fulfilling its purpose; it is giving hope to the otherwise hopeless black folks stuck in the ghettoes. What do you want rappers to do with their money, get a college education? build libraries? ... They aquire material goods to show they have made it in life, not because there is a innate sixth sense inside of them telling them to spend all their money. It's like when a teenager first get a job, you are going to go on a spending spree when your first few paychecks come in.

The real beyotches are the black people who have made it with their brain, the government workers, scientists ... They should do like rappers and promote their lifestyle, ethics... I don't know the name of a single "smart" black person taking strides to elevate the race. So in a way, rappers are more beneficiary to the black culture than "smart" black people are.

The fact that RAPPERS own their own companies shows how far we have come as a country. Seemingly talentless people can become millionaires.

The idea that people expect rappers to set standards for black people is the sad thing. The fact that they are considered leaders in the black community is the sad thing. We need new leaders in the black world instead of looking at rappers to set the example for all of black America ... they can be example setters for those real poor, real dumb, real hood dudes stuck in the ghettoes with no way of getting out.

Poorlilrich...let me ask you this. What do you have a better chance of doing? Going to college or becoming a rapper?

You have better odds of going to college and getting a degree than becoming a rapper. True story.

Why b/c they give false hope to black people who try to make it out of the ghetto by rapping when they are loads of other black people trying to do the same? So Bill Cosby isnt a smart black person trying to elevate the race? Maybe that says something about the black community if you cant name a single smart black person.

Also, Rap is EVERYWHERE. It's on the radio, on the TV, in the papers. So of course you are going to know more about rap. Music is a big part of people's lives. Hell, white people would know more about celebrities than smart white people.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #68
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Yes, but edgy urban/black culture is mainstream. Teens of all races are tuned into that message. Look at album sales, radio airplay, movies, MTV, BET, MySpace, Facebook, they're all tuned into this message but you don't see the same affects on young whites.

Is it family? But then there's a strong sense of family in most black communities, especially religious and socially conservative values but somehow it doesn't translate. It's like you're right back to Cosby and his commentary, but then I don't agree with that.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #69
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Walton_04 has an OK reputation so far

Bill Cosby > Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson

At some point, you have to stop blaming the white man for everything and start being responsible for your own future.

No one, no one sells drugs,records derogatory rap lyrics, or does anything derogatory because the
white man made them do it!

Blaming it all on the white man is an excuse.

How come Asians don't blame white people anymore? They have the right to blame them for the atomic bomb and for discrimination. But you know what? They've moved on and have taken responsibility for their own lives.

Is the white man responsible for Mike Vick as well?
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #70
Back In Shape
Great young streetballer

Back In Shape has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich

And herein lies the problem, ignorant sh!t like this. Rappers - GOOD, smart people - BAD.

Here's a little info for you. Smart, rich people of all races do not overwhelmingly stick a hand out to the poor. And really how much good does it do? If people are going to do better for themselves, they are going to try and do it, plain and simple. Waiting for someone to help them up or do something to benefit them is unrealistic. What DOES hurt someone is when they are told the world is sh!t, and they need society to stand up for them and help them in order to succeed. It creates procrastination and expectation for something that ain't never gonna happen. As long is a person is expecting empowerment to come from anywhere but from within, they are basically phucked.
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #71
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Poorlilrich...let me ask you this. What do you have a better chance of doing? Going to college or becoming a rapper?

You have better odds of going to college and getting a degree than becoming a rapper. True story.

Why b/c they give false hope to black people who try to make it out of the ghetto by rapping when they are loads of other black people trying to do the same? So Bill Cosby isnt a smart black person trying to elevate the race? Maybe that says something about the black community if you cant name a single smart black person.

Also, Rap is EVERYWHERE. It's on the radio, on the TV, in the papers. So of course you are going to know more about rap. Music is a big part of people's lives. Hell, white people would know more about celebrities than smart white people.

Umm, I have a better chance of going to college, but the people who are represented in rap songs have better odds of becoming a rapper than they do of graduating high school.

How is it false hope? What benefits society more? a black person selling dope and killing to stay alive or a black person rapping about doing all those things.
Bill Cosby is smart, and he doesnt like the state of black america right now, but he isn't doing much to solve the problem. Can you name a single black person striving to better the whole race?

Yea of course rap is everywhere; it's entertainment. The people who actually take the songs seriously are people who are experiencing the things said in the songs. Yea some suburban black kids take rap seriously, but it's not like they aspire to become rappers or to live out the ghetto lifestyle.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #72
poorlilrich
woop woop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
And herein lies the problem, ignorant sh!t like this. Rappers - GOOD, smart people - BAD.

Here's a little info for you. Smart, rich people of all races do not overwhelmingly stick a hand out to the poor. And really how much good does it do? If people are going to do better for themselves, they are going to try and do it, plain and simple. Waiting for someone to help them up or do something to benefit them is unrealistic. What DOES hurt someone is when they are told the world is sh!t, and they need society to stand up for them and help them in order to succeed. It creates procrastination and expectation for something that ain't never gonna happen. As long is a person is expecting empowerment to come from anywhere but from within, they are basically phucked.

So is my statement wrong?
You basically confirmed it; rap does more to the black community than the smart black people.

So you want the hopeless black people to do something to elevate themselves? Those are unrealistic expectations; you cant expect someone to pull themselves up when they barely have enough to fulfill their basic needs. It's not like they have money and they are spending it foolishly.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #73
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

u make good points. my thing is this. im not hating on him because he criticize black culture. even for my self i have criticisms on the black community. but my think is that he goes on white tv shows and bully and pick on black people. one thing about me i dont like bullies i think bullies are cowards. i dont have a problem with the hip hop culture. to me the bs that u see one the videos and all that is not the "hip hop culture". when u say thats the hip hop culture then u are saying that hip hop is bad and its most definitely not to me. and for me personally i think the biggest problem in the black community is that black people need to be more conscience and they need to really open there eyes.. i think black people need to understand that curtain people want them to commit crimes, curtain people want them to be in jail and uneducated. i think once black people become more conscience i think the black community will be as strong as ever before.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #74
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Final Wrath said it perfectly...........

Its a god dammed trick... Black people & white people are made to fight against each other on purpose...

Bill Cosby is starting to bring himself to people he talks about and that is a positive....Now he can talk to them and begin to talk about solutions instead of simply going on TV bashin black folk... I could start writing articles in the paper about cosby and all the women he's fondled and how much of bad person he really is... Would I be helping him or the problem? not at all...I'd simply be puttin him on blast for everyone to examine..

So him, changing his approach is a bigtime plus in my eyes.... people who control the media WANT blacks & whites to fight each other... they know very well that blacks are full of excuses and whites are full of denial..... and they use it against us both... In reality niether whites nor blacks are really perpetuating this societial race war... its the media that keeps portraying us as enemies and if they were to STOP doing that today, the problem would lesson because the truth of the matter is that we have alot more in common people think

I work with white folks, I have white people in my family and the interaction is totally different when you have a chance to sit with someone and discuss your hopes and goals with them and they get to talk to you about what they feel.... you realize that they think just like you (for the most part) and all this crap being said through the television and the papers is propaganda....

think about it.... why do people get mad at the mexicans when they come here instead of getting mad at the people who keep letting it happen?

Why do people get mad at the Rappers when Imus uses a slur against some innocent college girls? Because television told you that was the connection to make

Mike Vick? (was the whole circus atmosphere neccesary)

Duke Lacrosse team? (I'll admit I would have put money on the duke boys being guilty, but guess what? I was lied to and suckered in by the media & Nifong who just had to take this story and run with it instead of just doing their job figuring out the truth of all this)

Im telling you..... this stuff will never stop until people understand that the elites have divided our ranks against ourselves and we need to snap out of it... We will all get what we want if we get together and go see the elites about it.....

everyone in the hood knows that the solution to these problems is JOBS... not "stop & search" blacks in the community randomly( which is a real program that helped a black guy get elected mayor here...treating all black folks in the community like crooks).... not "10,000 men in the streets doing the job that the police continue to fail at... the answer is jobs.... jobs and education...

We all know this, but yet it isnt gonna happen.... It isnt gonna happen because the government doesnt honestly care to educate these kids, because if they did...they would see that it gets done... Just like war and money for themselves.... when they want those things (money and war)... they get those things...

people need to start thinking
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: