Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Seeing JailBlazer's thread about Lupe Fiasco being underrated and unheard of by fans of "rappers" like Soulja Boy and what not, it made me realize just how weak hip-hop has become. (I put "rapper" in quotation marks because Soulja Boy is farrrr from a rapper. Just a teenage who invented a dance that I could have come up with in an hour, that's it). So hip-hop fans, I ask you this: How do you feel hip hop is doing right now?

I personally think it's dying. Not fully dead, because there are still many great rappers out there, you just have to find them. They're overshadowed by the Soulja Boys and 50 Cents and Rick Ross'. What I think is wrong with hip hop is the fact that nowadays, money sells. May sound weird, but it's true - the more you brag about your money, the more money you make. Either that, or the more women you have shaking their booties in your videos, or the more champagne you're pouring on the floor, or the more bullets you've taken. All that stuff is what sells in today's world of hip hop, and it's sad.

Popular yet rappers like Common, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, they're looked at as "boring" by a large portion of hip-hop listeners. Nobody cares about the lyrics anymore, it's all about the dough and the women and the violence, and rappers like 50 Cent promote this, which is why I don't like him. He sells records, but not the right way. Teaching 13 year olds to live the life of a gangster and listen to music about "bustin' a cap in a mofo" or hustling by any means? It's a disgrace. It almost seems like the more times you get shot, the more records you'll sell. There's hardly any true talent in hip-hop anymore, just people who can talk about how much money and women they have and make it rhyme.

"I Get Money" and "Straight to the Bank" and "Like Money", these are the kinds of songs that are killing hip-hop, yet people look at it as good because money is good, and the songs have good beats. Ever heard the lyrics to those songs? "They call me the cakeman, the strawberry shake man." "When I made 50 mil, Em got paid. When I made 60 mil, Dre got paid. When I made 80 mil, Jimmy got paid. I ain't even got to rap now, life is made. I ain't even got to rap, I'm filthy rich mayne." You ain't even got to? Of course not, you're rich, why rap? Just talk about your bank rolls and women and make it rhyme - bam, you'll go platinum. That's half the reason I like Kanye so much - he's real. He raps about real things, things that matter, not just money or women, it's rare for him to rap about that to the point where the song is garbage. His lyrics actually mean something.

You even don't have to do much nowadays to get signed. What did Soulja Boy have to do? Make up a silly dance and bam he's produced the most popular song on the planet? If he tried that 10 years ago I'm pretty sure it would have been MUCH harder to get a record deal with stuff like that. What did Rich Boy have to do? Just make a song about rims and bam he's the BET Rookie of the Year? What did Hurricane Chris do? Make a song called "Ay Bay Bay" and he's suddenly a popular "rapper"? For God's sake, he claims he runs the South. It's pathetic. Wtf is an Ay Bay Bay, some type of mating call? "Ay Bay Bay, come give me some head." Oh yeah, that's really helping hip hop.

At the 2007 BET Hip Hop Awards, David Banner said "If somebody asked me what's wrong with hip-hop today, I'd say there ain't a damn thing wrong with hip-hop but bootleggers and Limewire." Agree, or disagree? I disagree highly. There's much more wrong with hip-hop than that, and thank God Nas addressed that by calling his album "Hip Hop Is Dead".

Is Hip-Hop dead? I wouldn't exactly say it's dead. Is it dying and in need of rejuvination and real rapping talent? Hell yes.

Thoughts?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

hip hop is here to stay. no genre has more diversity than hip hop.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
hip hop is here to stay. no genre has more diversity than hip hop.
Agreed. I don't think it will ever die, it's been around forever, and is extremely popular. I just don't think it's in a good position right now.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7heuhnkhGM

Not as long as the man is still alive... Hip Hop survives.

RZA Interview..The Heart Gently Weeps..(NEW WU TRACK)

Corporate America is the only reason pure Hip-Hop artistry is dying.
I'm not gonna name the guilty people in the industry.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
melvinthompson
I hit open 5-footers

melvinthompson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas

Not as long as the man is still alive... Hip Hop survives.

RZA Interview..The Heart Gently Weeps..(NEW WU TRACK)

Corporate America is the only reason pure Hip-Hop artistry is dying.
I'm not gonna name the guilty people in the industry.

Did you hear about him winning a recent celebrity chess tournament? I thought that was pretty cool. Anyways, Hip-Hop isn't in good shape at the moment, but it's become like any other genre where the great artists are underground--with the exception of a few--and the crap artists are what's played on top 40 radio.
melvinthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinthompson
Did you hear about him winning a recent celebrity chess tournament? I thought that was pretty cool. Anyways, Hip-Hop isn't in good shape at the moment, but it's become like any other genre where the great artists are underground--with the exception of a few--and the crap artists are what's played on top 40 radio.

So bad I can't even listen to the radio anymore... It hurts my ears.....

Seriously.

Remedy for Hip-Hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzEBJRKDHQ
Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Radio Stations and MTV killed it. They stabbed it in the back, and shot at 10 times.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation

Soulja Boy Tell'em Hip Hop Is here to stay. Now watch me UUUUUUUUAAAAA..

Anyways, I think its here to stay. Its a lifestyle and usually music that becomes a lifestyle stays.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
melvinthompson
I hit open 5-footers

melvinthompson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastaMaverick
Radio Stations and MTV killed it. They stabbed it in the back, and shot at 10 times.

Like they've done with every other genre of music.
melvinthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber
Soulja Boy Tell'em Hip Hop Is here to stay. Now watch me UUUUUUUUAAAAA..

Is this a Joke? Soulja Boy has made millions of people look stupid.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

Soulja Boy songs suck, but after hearing them a million times I'm starting to like them. He is still overrated as a rapper though.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #12
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Damn. Come one people, get over the fact that hip hop is going to make shit songs. Every year its the same, "WTF is this Shoulda Lean?", How Do I Lean and rock wit it?", "Soulja Tell Who?" and every year people complain. Try looking on the upside of rap, and praise people like Lupe, Nas, and Common for doing their thing. Ever think that people complaining about how rap is these days is whats tearing it down?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

The media is tearing it down.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #14
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

no matter how the commercial stuff sound hip-hop will never be dead to me. nas isnt dead to me, rakim isnt dead to me, talib kweli isnt dead to me, a tribe called quest isnt dead to me, i can go on and on and on. but man tho these guys thats out are just terrible tho. the problem is that these artist are prostitutes, they are just in it for the money. they dont do it for the love of hip-hop. but my thing is this u cant blame the artist for how hip hop/rap is. i blame the record executives. i blame the people who owns mtv, bet, and all the radio people around the country. lets keep it real u know these people who are actually running hip hop they know this stuff is trash, but they go after these artist because thats what sell.

when u think about it nothing have changed. its kinda been like this for the last 7-8 years. artist was always talkin about how hip hop is getting trash from the dead prez track "hip hop" and even as far back as common's "i use to love her". theres been alot of artist that was saying this but it took one of the best hip hop artist of all time in nas for people to take notice and really take a look at the game. theres so much youtube stuff on this issue. but in my mind hip-hop will never be dead but i cant blame people for sayin hip-hop is dead tho.

Last edited by brooklynchild155 : 10-27-2007 at 11:20 PM.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #15
NastaMaverick
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
The media is tearing it down.
Know, the media is just playing what the majority of people want to listen to, which is catchy choruses and beats. They want to be able to dance along with the song at a club. They dont care about lyrics or substance.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: