Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #16
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Ever think that people complaining about how rap is these days is whats tearing it down?
No, because the songs people complain about are the ones that sell 10 million. It's never going to go away especially when it's so easy to hit big. You can pay Lil Wayne 75,000$ to do a feature on your track and guarantee platinum success for example. You can also go the way of just creating a snap snappy dance (look at **** like the Cha Cha Slide, G Slide, Soulja Boy, Shoulda Lean, Lean wit it, HArlem Shake, etc.).

Hip hop consumers are the ones who need to dictate if it smartens up as an artform and the only way to do that is to stop buying the dumb **** and start buying Lupe albums.

It has gotten to the point where artists literally dumb themselves down to appeal to a wider audience. You'd be surprised how many artists are really way smarter than they rap and act, but put on a front because "Na'mean son, we do the thang foo, 7-4-7 all day stand up!" is how rappers are "supposed to" be. Plies, Rich Boy, and even Killa Cam would be some quick examples. Then others like Guerilla Black and Young Jeezy get "exposed" for claiming to be more gangster than they are and GB isn't really from Compton nor does he naturally sound like Biggy.

I agree with KRS though it's time to get back to more positive songs and messages and do another "Stop the violence/we're all in the same gang" type campaign because Hip hop is getting attacked heavily in the media and blamed for things it doesn't even have anything to do with


There's no incentive to put out smart, progressive type music because nobody buys it. Better to just follow the same formula already out now and that's what people are doing, taken the easy road.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #17
NastaMaverick
College superstar
 
NastaMaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 4,263
NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

All I'm saying is as long as people are saying "hip hop is dead and sucks right now" Theres really no hope.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #18
notorious ai3
OTC semi-lurker
 
notorious ai3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 238
notorious ai3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

hip hop is simply going through what rock went through in the 1980s (glam metal vs. thrash and older remaining rock bands). the genre is going to continue to split, and may be ushered out of the top spot (in the corporate eyes) by a different genre (which i don't know what would be it). popular genres have gone through this since the times when jazz and blues ruled the world.
notorious ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
NastaMaverick
College superstar
 
NastaMaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 4,263
NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious ai3
hip hop is simply going through what rock went through in the 1980s (glam metal vs. thrash and older remaining rock bands). the genre is going to continue to split, and may be ushered out of the top spot (in the corporate eyes) by a different genre (which i don't know what would be it). popular genres have gone through this since the times when jazz and blues ruled the world.
Ya I think they should have some kind of Dance-Hiphop Category, and then people might shut up.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #20
Hurlyburly
Banned
 
Hurlyburly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 442
Hurlyburly has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Rap is always dying and it's always thriving.

The reason for that is because it's a teenagers genre. When you're a teenager, you think hip-hop is at it's peak, because you're into it, but when you become an adult, you start maturing out of the genre because the popular rap that the teenagers listen to is silly to you, so you say it's dying, but the teenagers listening to it think hip-hop is at it's best, but in a few years, they too will think hip hop is dying, while the kids younger then them will think it's the best ever. It's an endless cycle. It's like how MTV has been able to stay relevant through generations. They change every 3 or 4 years to cater to what the next generation is into.

If that makes any sense.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
qwerty
(o_0)
 
qwerty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,541
qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Just a teenage who invented a dance that I could have come up with in an hour,


No you couldn't have.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #22
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,906
Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
No you couldn't have.
If I wanted to make a random dance similar to that? Yeah, I could stand here right now and come up with however many steps Crank Dat has, easy. Just make up random sh*t, because that's what it is.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #23
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator
 
FashionIssues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bay Area, Cali. Posts: 47,568
Posts: 4,874
FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

don't rag on mainstream hip hop just on the basis that it lacks substance. it plays an intrical part on keeping the culture above the water. every true head knows that hip hop is just not what's heard on the radio, but what it does for you as a listener. and if you know what that is, then hip hop will never die to you. you will always have your apples and oranges to choose and live by. your type of music will always make their way in store shelves. any lyrical and social conscious artist, including the talibs, mos defs, the roots, commons, and other artists will tell you to support the mainstream because it funds the culture and moves it forward, no matter the sound. it keeps the culture relevant in mass numbers, which is important to all artists. music is not serious. it is nothing to get extreme over.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #24
NastaMaverick
College superstar
 
NastaMaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 4,263
NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
don't rag on mainstream hip hop just on the basis that it lacks substance. it plays an intrical part on keeping the culture above the water. every true head knows that hip hop is just not what's heard on the radio, but what it does for you as a listener. and if you know what that is, then hip hop will never die to you. you will always have your apples and oranges to choose and live by. your type of music will always make their way in store shelves. any lyrical and social conscious artist, including the talibs, mos defs, the roots, commons, and other artists will tell you to support the mainstream because it funds the culture and moves it forward, no matter the sound. it keeps the culture relevant in mass numbers, which is important to all artists. music is not serious. it is nothing to get extreme over.
Amen.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #25
qwerty
(o_0)
 
qwerty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,541
qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
If I wanted to make a random dance similar to that? Yeah, I could stand here right now and come up with however many steps Crank Dat has, easy. Just make up random sh*t, because that's what it is.



But did you? If you did, would you have been able to market his songs like he did? Would you sell like he did? Would anyone even like the song/dance?


No.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #26
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!
 
Doomsday Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MAVS/HEAT finals
Posts: 11,759
Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
don't rag on mainstream hip hop just on the basis that it lacks substance. it plays an intrical part on keeping the culture above the water. every true head knows that hip hop is just not what's heard on the radio, but what it does for you as a listener. and if you know what that is, then hip hop will never die to you. you will always have your apples and oranges to choose and live by. your type of music will always make their way in store shelves. any lyrical and social conscious artist, including the talibs, mos defs, the roots, commons, and other artists will tell you to support the mainstream because it funds the culture and moves it forward, no matter the sound. it keeps the culture relevant in mass numbers, which is important to all artists. music is not serious. it is nothing to get extreme over.

Glorify the hood... Then that's where you will stay.
I'm So Hood???? Then be hood... and stay hood.

That's my problem...

2pac did not do this... He tried to elevate your mind.

But you do make a good point.... I just think it's kinda dumbing down
the music a tad bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItXQTyD_48&NR=1

Bottom line... They don't give a F*ck about us. This song is the $hit.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:55 PM   #27
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 35,511
L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Rap is dying (or has already died) because their is no individuality. You can say the same about R&B and other genres. Everyone sounds the damn same, All the beats sound the same since they are all made the same damn way. And another thing, most of them (in the spotlight) don't rap about jack shit.


-I got more money then you
-I got a big house
-My car sit on 24's
-Check out my ice
-I got more females then you
-My girl got a girlfriend
-I killed a dude yesterday
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #28
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,906
Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
But did you? If you did, would you have been able to market his songs like he did? Would you sell like he did? Would anyone even like the song/dance?


No.
I never said I'd do all that... I said I could come up with as simple of a dance. Never said it would become a world wide phenominon. He basically created a simple dance and advertised it.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #29
Hurlyburly
Banned
 
Hurlyburly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 442
Hurlyburly has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
don't rag on mainstream hip hop just on the basis that it lacks substance. it plays an intrical part on keeping the culture above the water. every true head knows that hip hop is just not what's heard on the radio, but what it does for you as a listener. and if you know what that is, then hip hop will never die to you. you will always have your apples and oranges to choose and live by. your type of music will always make their way in store shelves. any lyrical and social conscious artist, including the talibs, mos defs, the roots, commons, and other artists will tell you to support the mainstream because it funds the culture and moves it forward, no matter the sound. it keeps the culture relevant in mass numbers, which is important to all artists. music is not serious. it is nothing to get extreme over.

I could barely understand what you said. You grammar is awful. I got to "intrical" and stopped reading. I assume you meant integral?

This is a prime example of why mainstream hip-hop is bad. Look at the people who try and defend it.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #30
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator
 
FashionIssues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bay Area, Cali. Posts: 47,568
Posts: 4,874
FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
Glorify the hood... Then that's where you will stay.
I'm So Hood???? Then be hood... and stay hood.

That's my problem...

2pac did not do this... He tried to elevate your mind.

But you do make a good point.... I just think it's kinda dumbing down
the music a tad bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItXQTyD_48&NR=1

Bottom line... They don't give a F*ck about us. This song is the $hit.
i'm not hood. i've been a wu head since 36 chambers. no i am not extensive as you but i have the catalog to back it up.

all i'm saying is you have to open your self to the culture, it's successes and faults.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy