Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #31
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hip-Hop: At full power, slowly dying, or straight up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlyburly
I could barely understand what you said. You grammar is awful. I got to "intrical" and stopped reading. I assume you meant integral?

This is a prime example of why mainstream hip-hop is bad. Look at the people who try and defend it.
integral, that was the word. thank you.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #32
Hurlyburly
Banned

Hurlyburly has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
integral, that was the word. thank you.

You're welcome.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #33
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Rap is dying (or has already died) because their is no individuality. You can say the same about R&B and other genres. Everyone sounds the damn same, All the beats sound the same since they are all made the same damn way. And another thing, most of them (in the spotlight) don't rap about jack shit.

-I got more money then you
-I got a big house
-My car sit on 24's
-Check out my ice
-I got more females then you
-My girl got a girlfriend
-I killed a dude yesterday
Exactly... what makes 50 Cent different from the next guy that raps about his money and guns? Nothing unique, no image. Just "that black guy with the bullet proof vest, bank rolls, hoes and a 9."

Quote:
"In the late '80s, there was such a diversity (in hip-hop)," says Kevin Powell, former Vibe magazine senior writer and editor of "Who Shot Ya? Three Decades of Hip-Hop Photography." "If you were a young black male growing up then, you could aspire to be Chuck D, or Big Daddy Kane, or Too Short, or Doug E. Fresh. You had choices. That doesn't exist anymore."

There's nothing unique anymore. Whose style can you like that on popular music channels and radio stations? Like the style of a certain rapper, there's probably 20 other rappers with almost identical music and images. There's no diversity, everybody on the popular channels and stations that's shown to the public is the same.

Quote:
It's certainly harder to find. And offering it may take courage. When everyone else is talking about violence and riches, it's tough to talk about more cerebral issues without being laughed at by your peers and being called soft. "It is more difficult to try and make the masses buy it," says Common, one of hip-hop's most positive thinkers.

And that really sucks, that's you're no longer respected by the majority of hip-hop fans if your lyrics actually mean something. Go ask a teenager on the street who they think is the best rapper today? "Lil Wayne" or "T.I." or "Young Buck". These aren't the kind of rappers that usually rap about deep and meaningful things for the majority of their songs, and the people who listen to rappers that do rap about that stuff, and looked down upon because they aren't fans of the current hip-hop; the women, money and violence. It's sad that rappers who actually rap about things that matter aren't looked upon very highly anymore. Common won his first every televised award at the BET Hip Hop Awards this year. It took that long? Of course, he's not the type of person who raps about the currently popular style of hip hop, so he hardly gets credit, and that's just not right. Any teenager nowadays would probably laugh at you if you said Nas was the best rapper in the game today, and that's pretty sad.

Quote:
"When you look at the state that (rap) is in, it's very corporate and that's what takes away a lot of the purity of it," says Common. "But I think it's starting to change as people such as myself, The Roots, Talib Kweli and Mos Def are getting more exposure (and) balancing out some of the other hip-hop that lacks the love for the art and the effort of innovation."

Common believes that there are many innovative hip-hop artists out there that just need an opportunity to be heard. "We have to understand that the best stuff is going to be in the underground," he says. "There are people doing independent records right now that are putting out good music, (but) not getting exposure."

And that's exactly my point. You have to look hard to find real, true rap music and it sucks that you can't just turn on the TV and see Common or Mos Def, but instead Rich Boy and Plies. People just aren't hearing the type of hip-hop that actually means something.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #34
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

It's not a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMpOFy7zTQ
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #35
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #36
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #37
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered somewhat coolL.Kizzle is considered somewhat coolL.Kizzle is considered somewhat cool

L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #38
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

Old 10-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #39
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Rap is dying (or has already died) because their is no individuality. You can say the same about R&B and other genres. Everyone sounds the damn same, All the beats sound the same since they are all made the same damn way. And another thing, most of them (in the spotlight) don't rap about jack shit.

-I got more money then you
-I got a big house
-My car sit on 24's
-Check out my ice
-I got more females then you
-My girl got a girlfriend
-I killed a dude yesterday

You are totally right there is no artistic expression or message in rap anymore. Unlike other types of music all rappers have to express themselves is their lyrics(unless they produce). Nowadays it is just like there is a formula for success and all the artists are simply plugging words into it and watching the money role in. I hope this is just a phase that rap is going through and in 5-10 years there will be something of a "Rap Renaissance" where artist return to hip hop's roots and make real music again.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #40
go_blue
High school junior varsity star

go_blue has an OK reputation so far

ist more popular than it has ever been but it is coming out with the worse music it has ever came out with
go_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #41
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Hip-hop is dead, rap is healthy as its ever been.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #42
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Yea,... I know.

This photo says it all.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #43
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Hip-hop is dead, rap is healthy as its ever been.

I disagree. I would categorize the so called "Soulja Boy Tell 'Em" rap as being "Hip-Hop." Nas, Pre G-Unit Mobb Deep, Immortal Technique, Pun, BIG, Pac, and Talib Kweli shouldn't be considered "hip-hop." The aforementioned artists are what rap should be about - rapping about meaningful subjects and (as one poster described) expanding ones mind. Even 50 Cent before he got himself blasted was amazing. If you ask me, the South killed rap. Nelly, Juvenile, Dem Franchize Boys, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Lil Wayne, and this f ucking homo Hurricane Chris are what's wrong with rap. Each region has it's time, I suppose...the early 90s featured West Coast rap, the later 90s featured East Coast rap (definitely a generaliztion, I understand this isn't perfectly true) and now the "Dirty" South is making a statement. Hopefully, it's just a phase, but unfortunately I don't see it changing any time soon.

Is Hip-Hop dead? Not as long as Nas, Meth, Immortal Technique, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli are still alive. But it's definitely dying.

BTW, Richie 2k6, If Kanye wasn't such an ignorant piece of ****, I'd respect him so much more than I do. Graduation wasn't bad at all -- It's a breath of fresh air compared to some of this other mainstream garbage that's out. But when I hear this fool get on TV and start talking about "white people shouldn't use black slang until we're done with it," I think this cat needs to STFU.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #44
dawsey6
/thread

dawsey6 has decent reputationdawsey6 has decent reputation

I've discussd this issue with a few my friends already.

Hip-hop is at a point now where it's become it's own. It not only has it's own style, personality, and identity, but it also has it's own empire. It's probably the most powerful music culture today. Back in the 80's, when it was just coming into it's own, it was mostly sampled from funk beats and diced up in a most creative way to make it what it was: raw and energetic. In the 90's, the hip-hop sound continued to separate itself from other contemporary sounds of the time. Finally today, probably for a little under ten years, it's become a melting pot of ideas, sounds, words, styles, personalities. There's so much inspiration right now that can be tapped into in hip-hop that there are no limits to what it can do. That's why now it can sell better than anything out right now. Hip-hop has consistantly had more songs in the top 10 of the Billboard 100 for years now.

I like where hip-hop is now, because there's unlimited possibilities and routes to go do display your talent. In that regard, the only thing that hip-hop really needs is what rock music already had: It's icon. We need an Elvis Presley figure to be the forefront of this melting-pot culture and carry it to the point where we are not doubting where the hell we're going anymore. Right now, hip-hop doesn't have any icons, man. We have Jay-Z, Nas, and Commen and other veterans who've carried hip-hop as far as they can take it already. While They're still making good music, and can still contribute to the game, they won't carry it out of what it is right now. No icons right now Soulja Boy ain't going to do anything for this culture with his Macarena dance he's got going. Glad he's selling, but he's no icon. Definately not. None of these young cats can pull this sound out of the 13-20 year-old black circuit and take it worldwide. Nobody who's out right now can tap into everything this music can do and say, which is exactly what we need.
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #45
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Well this is how I see it, Hip-Hop is not dead. Reasoning behind this is that there is different kinds of Hip-Hop (Old-School, New-Age, etc.). Perception of Hip-Hop has now changed, it just has been altered....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: