Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default 2K8 vs. NBA Live 08 (PS2)

Ok, this is just my review for what it's worth. I rented both from Blockbuster this weekend. I had heard that Live 08 was vastly improved this year, so I wanted to give it another fair shake. It probably is improved, but it's still not as good as 2K8.

Immediately I noticed that Live's menu system is SLOW. They must have so much background animation going on that it just slows down the menus completely. In fact, the first time I tried to start a new Dynasty, it said, "Loading Dynasty", and then locked up. After 10 minutes I had to reset.

I can find nowhere where I can edit my starting lineup, and immediately upon starting a dynasty, I was assaulted by the need to sign an assistant, assistant head coach, trainer, and scout, with a limited budget of 3.4mil (Cavs). After going through all that crap, I had to setup a training camp. After going through that crap, I could finally start my season.

The game play is a bit improved over last year. They seemed to make a conscious effort to improve the game play. I personally thought the game looked quite a bit more like Live '04, which to me was the last time they put out a decent nba live game.

Unfortunately, it's still not up to par with NBA 2k8. I will say this though. Like last year, the commentary is just phenomenal. I don't know how they did it, but they've totally perfected the in game commentary in the Live series.

The only negative I can really say about 2k8 is that they didn't make enough improvements. They updated the rosters, and menus, but the basics are exactly the same. They made ZERO changes to what I consider a HORRID create-a-player system, which is a huge disappointment. Dwayne Jones promises to be a guy who gets 10-20 minutes per game for the Cavs this year and he isn't in the game. I can't create a Dwayne Jones in the game that looks like his real life counterpart, because there are only 8 or so faces to choose from.

I really didn't spend as much time reviewing 2k8, because to be honest, it is basically the same game as last year, wrapped in a better shell. If anyone can point out some improvements that I overlooked, I'd be glad to hear them, but basically I see the same game.

I did notice that they tweaked the colors a bit, and I didn't like that. Last year the Cavs showed as a wine, almost maroon color. This year, they they show as a wine, almost purple color. There is a definite pastel cast to some of the coloring.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Default Re: 2K8 vs. NBA Live 08 (PS2)

Okay which should I buy for PS2? Im waiting closer til Christmas when I will have time to play it.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Is Live 08 still a glitchfest?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
go_blue
High school junior varsity star

i have played 2k for ps2 and i was suprised that they didnt take 2k to a complete different level 2k7 is better than 2k8. So i still have to play live but it isnt hard to beat 2k

Last edited by go_blue : 10-28-2007 at 05:39 PM.
go_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
Okay which should I buy for PS2? Im waiting closer til Christmas when I will have time to play it.

I would say that 2K8 is still your best bet. It's at least $10 cheaper, it still has the same good game play as last year. In other words, it wasn't really broke, and they didn't mess with it too much. My biggest issue with it, is the create-a-player system is horrid, and I just think the commentary on Live, is just fantastic. In all honesty, I didn't play 2k8 as much so far, because I found it to be so close to 2k7, so I can't say how much they improved the commentary at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Is Live 08 still a glitchfest?

If you're looking for the same bugs as the last installment, I'd say no. The game play has been revamped (again). But it seems to me that it is very buggy. Like I said above, the very first time I tried to play a Dynasty, the game locked up on me and I had to reset.

The menus are very slow for some reason (I don't remember this being an issue in Live 07) and I think altogether the whole thing is very clunky to navigate compared to 2K.

I have these games until Sun. the 4th I believe, so I will continue to play and test them, and add anything relevant here.

Mathius
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Mathius

Played 2K8 some more tonight after I got off of work. I'll try to play Live some more tomorrow possibly.

I've come to the conclusion that 2K8 is a virtual clone of 2K7 and isn't worth buying if you have 2K7 unless you REALLY want the new players.

The game is just as good as 2K7, but there just isn't enough new stuff to make me care.

They cut down on the in game commentary by Kenny Smith, which is good, because his comments in 2K7 are often random, and don't make any sense for the play that just happened. A lot of the animations and commentary is word for word, or image for image taken from 2K7, including the pre game intros.

Lastly, there are some notible missing players from the 2K8 rosters. Yi from Milwaukee is not in the game. Neither is Glen "Big Baby" Davis on the Celtics. Dwayne Jones is not on the Cavaliers (I know most of you guys could care less about him, but he will play big minutes with Varejo holding out).

There are some weird players on rosters... i.e. Webber is still on Detroit, not a free agent. The same for Sasha and Varejo on the Cavs.

I half expected to see guys like Allan Houston, Reggie Miller, Scottie Pippen, Kevin Willis, and Tony Massenburg in the free agent pool, after hearing about them all summer, but they are not in the game.

Penny is in the game, on Miami.

Lastly, the track selection on 2K8 is less rap-oriented, and I find it a lot better than the annoying songs that would play over and over again in 2K7.

Mathius
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

you already noticed this, but 2k8 for ps2 really isn't any significant improvement (not that it really needed it anyways) over 2k7, simply due to hardware limitations.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Still can't change player positions and some player's shoes, can you? (2k8)
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Still can't change player positions and some player's shoes, can you? (2k8)

Nope, cant change player positions which bugs me in dynasty mode especially. And this year, they locked the shoes for more players which means you will be able to change shoes on even less players.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
Safety20
I brick open layups

2K8: For more experienced players. Also provides more realistic game play, for example: Your not going to just dunk on someone everytime down just because it's Lebron James.

Live '08: More of an arcade type game, better gameplay than all the other live's but still you can dunk every time down just because it's Lebron james or kobe, etc..
Safety20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

2k8 > NBA Live 08
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

I'm getting 2k8 today.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

I've played 2k8 for quite a bit before I bought a ps3.

The main difference from 2k7 to 2k8 is more for eye candy. Almost all players have signature jumpshots, wherein in 2k7 you only had a handful of star players with signature shots.

Players shoes actually change with the team. So if you traded kobe to the bulls, his shoes will turn red. Also, most teams have the white in their shoes turn to black on away games. Albeit small, the shoe improvements are a lot easier on the eyes. Have you assigned James Posey to the celtics in 2k7? Ugh..

Post ups are a lot easier to do, and hook shots are easier to pull off. Passing out of double teams is a lot easier wherein in 2k7 it almost always results into a turnover. New layup and dunk animations are there too.

The only thing bad about 2k8 is the extraordinary amount of short layups that players miss, even if you set the slider at 100. Its a bit annoying if you want to play like a sim game. In 2k7 I usually I'd jack up blocks and turn down dunks so my friends who like to abuse the lebron james and dirk nowitzkis (yes even him) would not just set a pick and dunk on 1/2 my team. I'd force them to make layups because its much harder to get blocked. Now since layups are pretty hard to come by, its like you're forced to dunk always on each breakaway so it wouldn't miss.

Raps still don't have the white home jersey. Cavs blue and red jersey looks like it was drawn by a kindergarden kid and the Lakers away jersey looks so gay. Its purple and gold dammit! Not violet and gold!!
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #14
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety20
2K8: For more experienced players. Also provides more realistic game play, for example: Your not going to just dunk on someone everytime down just because it's Lebron James.

Live '08: More of an arcade type game, better gameplay than all the other live's but still you can dunk every time down just because it's Lebron james or kobe, etc..

lol. I played 2K8 against my friend and I took 2003 Draft Class. My offense was going like this:dunk from FT line, dunk from FT line, again dunk from FT line, oh **** it's only windmill in heavy traffic, then from FT in heavy traffic and so on and on...
Pretty unrealistic...
jamal99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
v-unit
NBA All-star

I noticed you said Yi Jian Lian isn't in the game and Big Baby, I have NBA 08 and I think both of them arn't in the game either, I know Yi isn't for sure, but Big Baby I have a fealing wasn't in it.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: