Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #31
/\bstract
Mind-Raped

/\bstract has decent reputation/\bstract has decent reputation
Default Re: Financially, how are you doing?

Quote:
Wait so you make $28,000 not including OT (cuz you're working 15-20hrs OT a week)? Yeah 2nd job wouldnt be helpful if you're working that many hours.

No, the 28k would include my OT. If I didn't work the OT, it would so much less.

GOBB, I really appreciate your suggestions. I've pondered many of these things, but I really don't know who I can find as a roommate. I'm afraid if I shack up with some random dude or chick even that I'll be taken advantage of like I did my ex. I did nothing but sit around and play Playstation 24/7. What if my roommate does that while I'm busting my ass for Dave Thomas? No roommate of mine will be sitting around playing PS2 (I'm getting a PS3 soon enough) all day while I pay all the bills. I'm sure that would be my luck and happen to me.

Quote:
Huh? I didnt call you a chick...i spoke on a female I knew who wanted to finance a car with bad credit then eventually tried to ask me could I help her since my credit was remarkable. You financing that car really screwed you, just saying someone else I knew was close to being in your shoes until I talked them out of it.

Sorry man. I read into that wrong. Just having a bad day. What time is it where you guys are. It's almost 1:00 here.
/\bstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #32
chuckyboy34
High School Starter

chuckyboy34 has an OK reputation so far

i think alot of poor money mangement might have to do with your car. as everyone on the forum have said already. ditch the ride. I cannot tell you what you are doing is irresponsible or whatever. but if its for ur pride/girls its not worth it. girls u'd attract with a (700 bucks) monthly payment isnt exactly gonna be thrilled knowing you have a -10k bank account. besides that, i think you're right on par. but the -10k man u gotta get that taken care of asap, or else 10 will turn into 20 in a blink of an eye.
chuckyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #33
/\bstract
Mind-Raped

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyboy34
i think alot of poor money mangement might have to do with your car. as everyone on the forum have said already. ditch the ride. I cannot tell you what you are doing is irresponsible or whatever. but if its for ur pride/girls its not worth it. girls u'd attract with a (700 bucks) monthly payment isnt exactly gonna be thrilled knowing you have a -10k bank account. besides that, i think you're right on par. but the -10k man u gotta get that taken care of asap, or else 10 will turn into 20 in a blink of an eye.

That's how all this started! First, I owed 1k... then 3k... then 10k. Holy hell how did I allow this to happen...

Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #34
chuckyboy34
High School Starter

chuckyboy34 has an OK reputation so far

my friend, dun be too depressed. if u want ur car taken care of, you could go to a lesser brand (lets say, saturn, or honda) and tell them about ur situation, i think they could help you out by getting you a car that you can comfortably afford and still shine in. but im not sure about the credit part. my friend who works at saturn dealership says she does that kinda stuff for customers. you'd have to check for details though. but dun be too down. life's a b.. yeah... u get the point
chuckyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #35
Wizardly Cool

You're in a very challenging and complex situation with little to no alternatives. If you want my advice, I'll give it to you.

I'm not sure of your age, but I'd imagine somewhere between 20-25. That said, you're young, so the "tarnishing of your good name" I wouldn't worry so much about.

Instead, file for the b word. Yes, file for bankruptcy. No one wants to do it, and it can be embarrassing, but dude, you live in Montana! You'll be fine. You just need to change your lifestyle.

Stop thinking material things equate to woman without additional effort. Take care of yourself first and foremost, then the ladies will follow.

After you file your bankruptcy, you still keep your job! Start over. Take what little money you have, and make it go a long way. If you have to finance a car, keep your car payment less than 20% of your total income. Your car insurance will be cheaper too.

After 5-7 years, your name will be free and clear, and your credit will / can be built up again. By then, you should have found a decent girl you can marry then buy a house, etc. All that live happily ever after BS.

Right now, you're young. File for bankruptcy.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #36
/\bstract
Mind-Raped

Wizard dude, that's good advice too. Thanks. How would I go about filing for bankruptcy? What steps do I need to take? It seems like you know this stuff very well, so any additional help would be cool (you know, even Wizardly cool!).

I'm just afraid that if I destroy my credit by going bankrupt, that I can't finance a car again, right? How would I get around? I have to drive you know. We not like you city folk. No buses or subways.

Oh, and I'm 24 (I'm a loser baby.... so why don't you kill-me)

:-p
Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #37
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

RIMMER has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Business school?

I dont understand your question, GOBB.
RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIMMER
I dont understand your question, GOBB.

It basically is intended for you to explain why you're going to business school. Where you're going to business school. etc etc etc
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #39
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\bstract
No, the 28k would include my OT. If I didn't work the OT, it would so much less.

GOBB, I really appreciate your suggestions. I've pondered many of these things, but I really don't know who I can find as a roommate. I'm afraid if I shack up with some random dude or chick even that I'll be taken advantage of like I did my ex. I did nothing but sit around and play Playstation 24/7. What if my roommate does that while I'm busting my ass for Dave Thomas? No roommate of mine will be sitting around playing PS2 (I'm getting a PS3 soon enough) all day while I pay all the bills. I'm sure that would be my luck and happen to me.

Sorry man. I read into that wrong. Just having a bad day. What time is it where you guys are. It's almost 1:00 here.
Wait, so you are complaining about how you arent financially stable and need money and you are going to buy a PS3. DONT BUY THE PS3.

Save the money. Sell the PS2. Try and find a better job. Finance that car and start going to a community college and get your life back on track.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #40
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
It basically is intended for you to explain why you're going to business school. Where you're going to business school. etc etc etc

Gotcha. I plan to get an MBA so I can network and gain some management and international relations training. Everybody needs a Masters these days. The ultimate goal is to be making six figures by the time I'm 28. Ideally, I'd like to attend a school in New England, preferably Boston. I love that city. Hopefully somebody will take grant me admission.

BTW, how is Philly? I hear its not too friendly for newcomers.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #41
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
Wait, so you are complaining about how you arent financially stable and need money and you are going to buy a PS3. DONT BUY THE PS3.

Save the money. Sell the PS2. Try and find a better job. Finance that car and start going to a community college and get your life back on track.

He's right, don't buy the PS3. Instead, buy the XBOX 360. In fact, you should run up any credit you have left by buying a crapload of 360 stuff, then file for bankruptcy!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #42
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
He's right, don't buy the PS3. Instead, buy the XBOX 360. In fact, you should run up any credit you have left by buying a crapload of 360 stuff, then file for bankruptcy!

: You're a riot, man. You remind me of Creed from "The Office".
Old 10-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #43
Quickness
High School Starter

Quickness has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Get a job you mooching hippie.

can't till I get my job permit at 16
Quickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #44
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
I am 22 and I make 35,000 per year and another 200 per week at my part time job so overall i make about 45K per year.

I have health insurance for myself and my daughter.
I drive my girl's car (her parents pay for it still)
high utilities...decent rent
lots of groceries and baby expenses
lots of gas expenses

Basically I am struggling a little bit but I am happy and I am not in any debt. Things would be a lot easier if my girl would at least help me out and get a part time job.

You have a kid at 22?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #45
conebone69
Can barely lace up my sneakers

conebone69 has an OK reputation so far

I'd buy the PS3 and while I'm at it I'd get the league pass as well. Put it on credit so you don't spend your cash. Ladies love cash. When your not at work league pass and PS3 will give you something to do.
conebone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: