Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Winnipeg Jets, Hartford Whalers, or Quebec Nordiques?

-17 seasons(1979-80 through 1995-96)
-5 winning seasons
-11 playoff appearances
-506-660-172
-Most games played: Thomas Steen(950)
-Most goals scored: Dale Hawerchuk(379)
-Most assists recorded: Thomas Steen(553)
-Most points scored: Dale Hawerchuk(929)
-Most penalty minutes recorded: Laurie Boschman(1,335)

-18 seasons(1979-80 through 1996-97)
-3 winning seasons
-8 playoff appearances
-534-709-177
Most games played: Ron Francis(714)
Most goals scored: Ron Francis(264)
Most assists recorded: Ron Francis(557)
Most points scored: Ron Francis(821)
Most penalty minutes recorded: Torrie Robertson(1,368)

-16 seasons(1979-80 through 1994-95)
-6 winning seasons
-9 playoff appearances
-497-599-160
Most games played: Michel Goulet(813)
Most goals scored: Michel Goulet(456)
Most assists recorded: Peter Stastny(668)
Most points scored: Peter Stastny(1,048)

Although none of the three were that great, the Nordiques were the best of the three. The Quebec Nordiques were my favorite of the three(mainly because my Rangers upset them in 1995), but the final team that finished #1 East had some great players like Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Owen Nolan, Mike Ricci, Adam Deadmarsh, and Curtis Leschyshyn. For those of you that watched hockey and are old enough to remember when they played, who did you like best?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Winnipeg Jets, Hartford Whalers, or Quebec Nordiques?

yes, and I loved the Whalers even though they almost always sucked ass. I wish they would move back.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

The Jets used to be my favourite NHL team, with the Nordiques a close 2nd (they were the closest team to me as a kid).

Now I have neither, and my life feels incomplete.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
yes, and I loved the Whalers even though they almost always sucked ass. I wish they would move back.

There were rumors not too long ago that Nashville might fold and move back to Canada. They were talking about either Hamilton or Quebec City. That Nordiques team from 1994-95 was a sick team. Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, and Owen Nolan all in their mid 20s or younger. They were #1 in the East in 1995 too.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

actually, I did benefit from one team moving. I already liked the North Stars and used them on NHL games b/c of them meeting Modano on the Mighty Ducks. When they moved to Dallas I was thrilled. Sucks for Sota though. At least they got an expansion team I guess.

If the Whalers would return my NHL life would be complete though.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
actually, I did benefit from one team moving. I already liked the North Stars and used them on NHL games b/c of them meeting Modano on the Mighty Ducks. When they moved to Dallas I was thrilled. Sucks for Sota though. At least they got an expansion team I guess.

If the Whalers would return my NHL life would be complete though.

On the bright side, they became good once they moved to Dallas. I would rather see Canada with another team, but I'll take Hartford. Hartford is only an hour and a half drive for me.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Nordiques, definitely. They had some ridiculous talent on that roster for a while.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

FireMcFailPlease has an OK reputation so far

I remember goin to a North Stars/ Jets game back in the early 90s

god how bad ass it was.
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
I remember goin to a North Stars/ Jets game back in the early 90s

god how bad ass it was.

Hockey belongs in Canada. It's a shame the markets are so small. The Nordiques should have at least made the Conference Finals in 1995.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

I will argue until the day I die that Whalers was one of the best team names ever. Also Hockey should've never expanded into the south (and really into California).
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I will argue until the day I die that Whalers was one of the best team names ever. Also Hockey should've never expanded into the south (and really into California).

California wasn't so bad. At least they have somewhat of a market. Raleigh, NC, Nashville, TN, Tampa, FL, and Sunrise, FL are not meant for hockey and they struggle enough with football.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
California wasn't so bad. At least they have somewhat of a market. Raleigh, NC, Nashville, TN, Tampa, FL, and Sunrise, FL are not meant for hockey and they struggle enough with football.
I know that LA has drawn well at times, how well as San Jose done? And I'm not convinced that professional sports outside of football should exist in Florida (especially not baseball). Funny thing about the Hurricanes, I heard a lot of old Hartford fans still root for them.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #13
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I know that LA has drawn well at times, how well as San Jose done? And I'm not convinced that professional sports outside of football should exist in Florida (especially not baseball). Funny thing about the Hurricanes, I heard a lot of old Hartford fans still root for them.

The Sharks have been good for a long time. They've only missed the playoffs once since 1998, and since they're not far from the Bay Area, people go to the games. It's only a matter of time before they win it all.

As far as Florida, baseball shouldn't be there. Marlins and Devil Rays max out at about 15,000. My cousins frequently go to Marlins games and they can't believe they didn't bolt after 2005.

For football, the Jaguars literally have the lowest fan base of any team. The Buccaneers aren't much better and with the Dolphins at 0-8, why anyone would want to waste their time there is beyond me.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: