Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Default who's the odd PG out?

top 3 guards (other than Kobe) are:
Evans
S Williams
Smush
not necessarily in any order. Seems to me we didn't bring Evans and Shammond in to ride the bench. If we believe Farmar is legit, then we need to give him some playing time. In front of who...Smush? If so, then we should consider trading Smush (as much as I like him) while he has real value. Perhaps pair him with Mihm to get someone valuable.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
top 3 guards (other than Kobe) are:
Evans
S Williams
Smush
not necessarily in any order. Seems to me we didn't bring Evans and Shammond in to ride the bench. If we believe Farmar is legit, then we need to give him some playing time. In front of who...Smush? If so, then we should consider trading Smush (as much as I like him) while he has real value. Perhaps pair him with Mihm to get someone valuable.

evans isnt a pg..hes more of a smallforward who can play some 2...i say keep smush unless we trade him for a better pg...becasue i dont think williams farmar and sasha can handle the point...farmar shouldnt be playin in front of smush...hes the only proven pg we got...he should play in front of sasha and maybe split time w williams... if we can package mihm and smush for a better pg..then we should go 4 it
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Evans is 6-5" and will be used much like Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, and a long list of other tweeners Phil likes for the triangle. He will swing between playing PG and backing up Kobe.
For the 1 & 2 positions we typically play a total of 4 players. So, it would be
Kobe
Evans
Shammond
then ???
Smush splitting with Farmar?
Sasha won't see the light of day. If there's a deal to be made for a solid 6th or 7th man, then Smush is expendable (better trade bait than Sasha).
Old 07-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
qwerty
(o_0)

Quote:
Sasha won't see the light of day. If there's a deal to be made for a solid 6th or 7th man, then Smush is expendable (better trade bait than Sasha).

Sasha will probably be playing behind Kobe and playing agaisnt teams with bigger PG's that need to be closely guarded. He's also probably the best defender that we have against point guards too(i don't know how good Shammond is at defending).
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I don't see Williams playing that much...
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

then why would they give him $1.7mm? more than any other guard? other than Kobe. And hype him? And take a precious roster spot. They must think Shammond can help them more than the others.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
SoCalMike

Ask the same question about McKee? When he was not injured, he really did not play much. He cost even more than Williams.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Ask the same question about McKee? When he was not injured, he really did not play much. He cost even more than Williams.

the year before he was injured too so even when he wasnt injured..he still wasnt in NBA condidition...they were hoping hed provide veteran leadership in hte back court but his age and injuries have slowed him...he was still a factor a few seasons ago but now hes done...williams isnt injured and is comming off a good season in europe...they are hoping his experience in europe is enough for him to make somewhat of an impact...i havnt seen him play but i heard hes a pure point and he did put up nice stats in europe
Old 07-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Evans is 6-5" and will be used much like Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, and a long list of other tweeners Phil likes for the triangle. He will swing between playing PG and backing up Kobe.
For the 1 & 2 positions we typically play a total of 4 players. So, it would be
Kobe
Evans
Shammond
then ???
Smush splitting with Farmar?

evans doesnt have the ball handling skills to be be playing the point...he can back up kobe but is a swingman (playing the 2 and 3)...i dont think hes trustworthy enough to be playing the point...hes better suited at the 2 and 3 becasue he is quick enough to keep up with 2 guards and strongenough to hang with smallforwards...he hasnt ever played point so what makes you think they are just going to put him in thta line up when they have point guards to play?

Against Big Teams:
Pg:Smush,Williams,Farmar
Sg:Kobe, evans
Sf:Lamar, Radmon, Luke
Pf:Mihm, Turiaf, Cook
C:Brown, Mihm(on defense), Bynum

Against small Teams:
Pg:Smush,Williams,Farmar
Sg:Kobe, evans
Sf:Radmon, Luke
PF:Lamar, Turiaf, Cook
C:Brown, Mihm, Bynum

Mihm and Brown will be played together against bigger teams like spurs, heat and mihm will be benched against quicker teams like suns, mavs

And we are not getting anything 4 sasha...he has no value whatsoever...if he is traded he would be just a throw in

Last edited by ihatetimthomas : 07-23-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
the year before he was injured too so even when he wasnt injured..he still wasnt in NBA condidition...they were hoping hed provide veteran leadership in hte back court but his age and injuries have slowed him...he was still a factor a few seasons ago but now hes done...williams isnt injured and is comming off a good season in europe...they are hoping his experience in europe is enough for him to make somewhat of an impact...i havnt seen him play but i heard hes a pure point and he did put up nice stats in europe

Sorry, I just don't agree. They had much greater expectations for McKee at $2.5M per year. Williams is a step down. I think you all have been sold a bill of goods that this guy is better than he is. He already has an NBA record, and its not been impressive.

He's going to have to be magnificent as far as I am concerned to get any real playing minutes.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #11
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Sorry, I just don't agree. They had much greater expectations for McKee at $2.5M per year. Williams is a step down. I think you all have been sold a bill of goods that this guy is better than he is. He already has an NBA record, and its not been impressive.

He's going to have to be magnificent as far as I am concerned to get any real playing minutes.

I have no real expectations for this guy but i believe if the lakers management was willing to give up their bi-annual exception to get him, then he must have some skills...his nba record shouldnt really be considered since he hasnt really played much...did anyone expect anything from smush? Im not going to say hes gonna be good bc i havnt seen himi play but you cant judge him on his short nba record bc hes never really had a chance in the NBA and im sure you havnt seen him play either...if he can provide anything i will be happy but i trust that the lakers management picked him up becasue he can contribute...not to just ride the bench
Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 AM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I think Sasha is the odd PG out. Smush averaged in double figures and started every game, hes also a better dribbler than sasha but sasha seems to be a better passer.

But i would trade sasha
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 AM   #13
SoCalMike

I wonder if Sasha actually bulked up over the off-season. Imagine if he could actually take it to the hole consistently and play some real defense!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #14
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I think Sasha is the odd PG out. Smush averaged in double figures and started every game, hes also a better dribbler than sasha but sasha seems to be a better passer.

But i would trade sasha

I agree. I think Smush gets his same 30mpg... He was healthy all year so Shammond is pretty much an insurance policy in case Smush gets injured, Evans is Kobe insurance etc... u c all the teams trying to be 3 point guards deep...
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

We actually do have plenty of consistent shooters now.

Something we lacked last year. lets see what we can do with em.

GO LAKKKEEERRRSSSS!!!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: