Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 AM   #16
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
Evans is Kobe insurance etc...

Welcome to the forum dblock.....

Actually, I don't see Evans as insurance for Kobe... I think he will get key minutes (10-15 per game) and will offer some defensive intensity when Kobe is out or even alongside Kobe sometimes.

It will be interesting to see no matter what.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #17
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Call me an idiot but in the future I can see devin green as a consistent scorer and lock down defender.

Evans gets about 5 ppg...Not that he isnt good But i think Devin will replace him soon.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #18
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Welcome to the forum dblock.....

Actually, I don't see Evans as insurance for Kobe... I think he will get key minutes (10-15 per game) and will offer some defensive intensity when Kobe is out or even alongside Kobe sometimes.

It will be interesting to see no matter what.
good 2 b here

Evans might get those minutes cuz Phil said Kobe played 2 many minutes last season so if he only plays around 35mpg instead of 40+, I can c Evans goin in there and making an impact.
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:40 AM   #19
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Evans will swing between 1 & 2. nice fit for the triangle.
Smush & Sasha will get squeezed down, esp if they give Farmar any minutes.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #20
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I also noticed phil likes sasha a lot.

He's a tall pg. shoots the three exceptionally well. Plays some dirty D.

But i dont see what other things he does consistently.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
dblockallstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I also noticed phil likes sasha a lot.

He's a tall pg. shoots the three exceptionally well. Plays some dirty D.

But i dont see what other things he does consistently.

I dont kno if he shoots it "exceptionally", I mean Phil always says he's their best shooter or w/e but his percentage doesn't show it... maybe he just needs more time...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
ggnehm
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Farmar

I think we will all be surprised that Farmar will be getting allot of playing time for a rookie in a PJ system. He has suppressed all the Laker brass including Phil and Rambis. This was taken from the LA times about Farmar.

He grasped the triangle offense so quickly that Rambis remarked after the first game that Farmar must have been studying it the last two years at UCLA. But Rambis' most telling comment came when he was asked if he thought Farmar looked 19 on the court.

"I just think he grew up having nothing but dreams and aspirations of playing in the NBA, being a point guard his entire life," Rambis said. "He's got instincts and vision you just can't teach, somebody's had to grow up playing that way.

"He's just got to be able to do that and execute that style of ball with those capabilities against bigger, stronger people. That's going to be his adjustment coming to the NBA."

That is some pretty dam good comments coming from the Lakers management. I just think we are in for a change in the PHILosophy and I have very high hopes for Farmar. Don't get me wrong I love Smush but if this kid can show the same guts and grit on the big stage I would not be at all shocked to see him beat out Smush for the starting spot. I KNOW CRAZY COULD A ROOKIE ACTUALY START FOR PHIL?
ggnehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #23
traditionone

This is complicated. Shammond only got a one year deal, so the only 2 guys with multiple years left is Sasha and Farmar. Smush is a free agent after this season. Shammond, too. I consider Evans a SG/SF at this point. If Sasha improves like I expect he will, then Smush could be the odd man out, especially if he's going to ask for a lot of money (MLE) next summer. Shammond is a shooter who's going to come off the bench. You can never have enough shooters. It's impossible to say what will happen till they all hit the court and we see them play. At the end of the day, I don't expect to see Smush and Shammond on the Lakers after next season.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #24
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

what he said about FARMAR is exactly why I posted this thread. If Farmar is going to minutes, even small minutes, then Smush and Sasha won't see much time. It so, then perhaps it makes sense to trade Smush while he has real value, perhaps in package with Mihm....if we can get someone valuable back.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
dblockallstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
what he said about FARMAR is exactly why I posted this thread. If Farmar is going to minutes, even small minutes, then Smush and Sasha won't see much time. It so, then perhaps it makes sense to trade Smush while he has real value, perhaps in package with Mihm....if we can get someone valuable back.

Again I don't think that Farmar will get minutes b/c he is a rookie that had a couple good games against summer league scrubs... Phil said after we got eliminated that it was all about growth and about building on what they accomplished this year. If Lamar and Kwame play the way they did in the 2nd half and Radman and Smush are decent, we should be a good team, and not have to tamper with our progress, plus everyone has a year w/ the triangle under their belts.... we wont have the $ to sign a max player like we anticipated next year so we might as well resign Smush if he asks for 3-4mil.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #26
ggnehm
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default PG

That is why I say it would be crazy but just might happen. What it will come down to is how they perform in Hawaii during training camp. I still think it is a toss up between Smush and Farmar. I love Smush but he kind of fell apart in his first playoffs and that will either help him this summer to improve or could totally crush his confidence I hope for the former. I would love to see him come in and be the little floor general I think he can be but if this Farmar kid out shines him in training then the whole Phil doesnít play rookies play book would have to be tossed. I really donít think Phil would simply not play Farmar (if he shows more potential then Smush in training) just because he is a rookie you have to put your best talent on the floor but only time will tell. Canít wait till Hawii.
ggnehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #27
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
I dont kno if he shoots it "exceptionally", I mean Phil always says he's their best shooter or w/e but his percentage doesn't show it... maybe he just needs more time...

Its strange how his shooting percentage because he has one of the best forms I have ever seen.

Jordan Farmar on the other hand. Phil will give him a decent amount this season because last season when Ronny turiaf came in he learned it so fast that Phil used him a lot after that.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #28
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

sasha is way overrated. he has been here what, 3 years? he hasn't improved much since he was a rookie(if he has improved at all). i think this should be his make or break season.
magic chiongson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #29
dblockallstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
sasha is way overrated. he has been here what, 3 years? he hasn't improved much since he was a rookie(if he has improved at all). i think this should be his make or break season.

he can make the open 3 and he plays pesky defense. I think if he got the minutes Smush got last season, he could have had similar #'s w/ a decrease in steals and fg% b/c all he shoots is jumpers.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 AM   #30
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

they always talk about how sasha hits shots in practice all the time. we rarely see it in games, and we are shocked when he actually nails a shot. and what about driving to the rim?

well, he's only 21 or 22, so i guess he needs another year or so.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: