Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Rafer Alston -vs- Mike James?

Do any of y'all Rocket fans think Skip will keep the starting job or will Mike James take that spot.

While Skip has done alright the first two games, Mike has played better then him, keeping up in the game against the Jazz last night. Skip made some costly turnovers against the Lakers the other night also to almost give the game away.

So what do y'all think.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Q.E.C
нυєy

Q.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Rafer Alston -vs- Mike James?

if this continues to happen, i think mike will be the starter.
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

I think a lot of people are selling Rafer short. For all his faults, he ran the offense quite well the past couple of years. The problem this season is that everyone is out of sync. He hasn't learned where everyone is going to be all the time, as evidenced by some of his turnovers. For example, one pass he threw across the top of the key that almost looked like it was meant for Ronnie Brewer instead of TMac. I'm not sure I've ever seen Rafer throw a pass that horrible.

My point is that no matter how good you are at setting guys up and orchestrating an offense, you have to know the offense first. In contrast, Mike James isn't expected to run the offense. He's expected to come in and shoot, and if he's not open he can pass it as a second option.

Given some time I think Rafer will look much better, just as the offense will look much better. I'd definitely keep James coming off the bench as long as he's effective.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Alston is the more true PG, but with the changes in the offense maybe it'll take time to adjust
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
I think a lot of people are selling Rafer short. For all his faults, he ran the offense quite well the past couple of years. The problem this season is that everyone is out of sync. He hasn't learned where everyone is going to be all the time, as evidenced by some of his turnovers. For example, one pass he threw across the top of the key that almost looked like it was meant for Ronnie Brewer instead of TMac. I'm not sure I've ever seen Rafer throw a pass that horrible.

My point is that no matter how good you are at setting guys up and orchestrating an offense, you have to know the offense first. In contrast, Mike James isn't expected to run the offense. He's expected to come in and shoot, and if he's not open he can pass it as a second option.

Given some time I think Rafer will look much better, just as the offense will look much better. I'd definitely keep James coming off the bench as long as he's effective.
Good post. Co-sign. Everyone needs some time. James looks great, and Alston will look good too after he gets use to the offense.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

Ginobili is one of the Spurs best scorers.........and they asked him to come off the bench, because having a giant spark plug off the bench is VERY valuable to any team that expects to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Having Mike James come off the bench and drop like 15 points is OUTSTANDING!........I wouldn't change one thing. If we had a player like that coming off the bench last year, Houston easily gets passed Utah.

The way I look at it is.....

We've already found our starting PG, he's thowing up all star #s, his name is...... Mike Alston (aka Rafer James) and he's a hellava player.

Right now Mike Alston is thowing up...

20.5 points, 5 reb, 4 stls, and 9 assists per game!

In other words, our PG postion play is more like starting pitching in baseball with Rafer Alston being the trusty right hander and Mike James being the nasty lefthanded reliever that brings a totally different aproach to the game, completely knocking teams off balance.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-03-2007 at 04:05 PM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Whats up with Steve Francis is he injured or something?
fiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
Whats up with Steve Francis is he injured or something?

He's supposedly out of shape and can't break the rotation.........mainly because every time he got time during the preseason he's shown that he can't play without the ball and is totally ineffective unless he dominates the ball, or maybe since the Rockets just repainted the court and if they let Steve pound the hell out of it, they won't feel like painting it again in a couple of months.......so pretty much, same ol' Steve.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-03-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
He's supposedly out of shape and can't break the rotation.........mainly because every time he got time during the preseason he's shown that he can't play without the ball and is totally ineffective unless he dominates the ball, or maybe since the Rockets just repainted the court and if they let Steve pound the hell out of it, they won't feel like painting it again in a couple of months.......so pretty much, same ol' Steve.
So why did the rockets signed him anyway?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

Quote:
So why did the rockets signed him anyway?

Low risk/high reward. Francis is playing for peanuts and isn't tied into anykind of long term contract.

If he plays and becomes productive.......big pay off

If he doesn't, the Rockets can tell him to pack his sh!t and take his azz home.....like they did last year with Bonzi.

Right now, he's a very good insurance policy and only deepens the bench and with his expiring contract after next year, if all else fails we could package him in a deal around the trade deadline to acquire another piece.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-03-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
fiddy
HC4L

Quote:
Low risk/high reward. Francis is playing for peanuts and isn't tied into anykind of long term contract.

If he plays and becomes productive.......big pay off

If he doesn't, the Rockets can tell him to pack his sh!t and take his azz home.....like they did last year with Bonzi.

Right now, he's a very good insurance policy and only deepens the bench and with his expiring contract if all else fails we could package him in a deal around the trade deadline to acquire another piece.
How much do the rockets pay him?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

Quote:
How much do the rockets pay him?

2 year deal for 6 mil.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
fiddy
HC4L

Quote:
2 year deal for 6 mil.
Thats a good deal.

As it comes to mike james or alston i say alston. Because he is more like true PG. There are enough consumers on the team.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

I like Alston with the starting group, because with Yao and McGrady, we already have enough scorers. The PG's job when they are on the floor should be just to bring the ball up, get it into their hands, and hit the occasional open shot......Rafer can do that.

Mike James is great coming off the bench when one of the big 2 are sitting down and we need more scoring ability out of that position.......so far Mike James has been great at doing that.

As long as we keep winning I don't see Adelman changing his formula. A coach's best friend is a great 6th man, Mike James gives Adelman great options and flexibility off the bench.

During one point in the Utah game, Adelman ran a line-up of

James
Head
Wells
Scola
Mutombo

all backups and they were severely outplaying the Jazz starters.......this team is deep.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-03-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #15
giordun
I airball my layups

giordun has an OK reputation so far

Rafer cause Mike James can be a spark off the bench.
giordun is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: