Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
PHXsunsROCK1105
SAVE Planet Orange

Unhappy Summer League: Amare...noo!!

I was watching some Summer league clips & I noticed Amare is not getting as high for rebounds, dunks ETC. This is is scaring me, and I'll tell you why. In Summer league, he should be able to get has high as he frickin' wants! Why? There's barely any defense. That's not the worst part, I thought it was just my imagination. But, After reading a few sports articles from ESPN they too said that they noticed him having a harder time getting around defenders, and such.

Take a look for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNoZhakbQWQ

Also, keep in mind if you think these dunks are great....Uhh..don't forget this is summer league.
PHXsunsROCK1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Well, one thing you need to keep in mind is that was Amare's first game action since his "return" if you can call it that last spring. He again took a lot of time off after that for the surgery on his other knee, and then started the re-hab process over again in order to get into the summer league. You should be encouraged that he played big minutes in each game, even playing in back to back games. I don't think it's fair to judge his jumping ability/quickness until he has some more game time under his belt. 3 summer league games isn't going to get him back to vintage Amare form. We may never see that again anyway.

I was reading an internet article about him the other day at the Team USA camp, and the word around there is that he is improving everyday.

It's going to take a lot of time for him:

1. Get his legs under him again
2. Be able to trust his knee again
3. Figure out what limititations or lack therof he will have from the knee
4. Just get back into the basketball mindset again.

I'm not saying he'll ever return into the old Amare that all of us were lucky enough to watch over the last 4 years, well, 3 I guess, but give him some time before you draw conclusions about his game post injury.

Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

He's not the same power player he was. Hopefully he gets back to that, because that was fun to watch. Right now he's playing finesse type game...
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
joseph
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Thanks for the youtube link.
Amare has said that where he is now in the USA Training Camp is "night and day" from where he was in the summer league. Sounds to me like he's rehabilitating far quicker than expected. I read somewhere Jason Kidd said it takes over a year to recover from an injury like this.

If he's still not looking good late in the season or playoff time, then it's time to be concerned, but not yet.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
vagabond
Kids at the park dunk on me

exactly it far too early to decide what he will or won't be as he is still going through the rehabiliation process, lets get into the season then we'll be able to judge more accurately.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
dblockrep2
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Its a shame but most players who have had microfracture surgery like Amare do not come back 100%. Players like Webber, Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway, have had the surgery. Look at the track record, Kidd since the sugery isn't playing like he use to, Kenyon martin isn't getting big time minutes, Webber still isnt 100% other players like Penny Hardway and jamal Mashburn after the surgery totally fell off. Hopefully Amare gets most if his form back.
dblockrep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
vagabond
Kids at the park dunk on me

One can only hope. But at least it sounds like he's taken the time to add to his game to help compensate. But If he does come back to 100% he will be one of the lucky few.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

If you can watch NBA Broadband on nba.com, there is another Knicks-Suns highlight that you can watch. Amare looks better in that one.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

Default ?

so even if Amare is not 100% but more like 80%-90% we will make the playoffs...we did it last year and i don't think anyone would make a decision to hurt the team...

back to the Question though...what if amare only comes back 80%-90%....what are our championship chances?:confused:
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:27 AM   #10
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash4eva!gosuns
back to the Question though...what if amare only comes back 80%-90%....what are our championship chances?:confused:

Terrific.

The team is a lot deeper then when it was the starting 5+JJ, i.e. the last time Amare played. He won't be relied on to carry as much of the offensive load, so he should be able to devote more energy to rebounding and defense. Him coming back at 80-90% is really all we can expect of him. It's about what Jason Kidd is at, and he is the most successful NBA star to come back from microfracture.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
wally_world
M0derator

that Alex kid seems to have done better than STAT!!! damn! lets hope he's just warming up... and hope it does not stay... come playoff time, lets hope he's back to 100%...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: