Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #31
e20dyl4n
Local High School Star

e20dyl4n has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Anyone else having a hard time being excited about the new season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Make this topic when the Suns win 10 straight games. $10 says you won't.

ill bet he will make it when they lose in the playoffs again tho ;)
e20dyl4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #32
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Make this topic when the Suns win 10 straight games. $10 says you won't.
They're still winning now. They had a great second half against the Cavs when they finally showed life.

I was still excited last year when they were 1-5, and Amare was sucking ass. I was posting when the board was flooded with "Amare is DONE!!!!", and the "What's wrong with the Suns?" threads. Don't give me that crap that I am basing this on wins/losses or current perfomance only. Especially this early in the year.

Last edited by Rab : 11-06-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #33
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

As much as I love my Cavs and am excited about the season, I highly doubt I could sit down and watch all 82 games. There are several obstacles that get in the way of that:

--trying to build and maintain a professional life
--the building and maintaining of social contacts and spending time with family
--developing outside interests (because it's bad to only like the NBA and have ZERO other interests)
--running errands, performing menial daily tasks

As you get older, and throw a wife/kids into the mix and add in demanding full time job, it gets even harder. You have to prioritize, as the list of things that I just mentioned continue to grow. There truly may only be one night a week that can become "game night," in the end.

Last edited by mlh1981 : 11-06-2007 at 06:34 PM.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #34
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
As much as I love my Cavs, I highly doubt I could sit down and watch all 82 games. There are several obstacles that get in the way of that:

--trying to build and maintain a professional life
--the building and maintaining of social contacts and spending time with family
--developing outside interests (because it's bad to only like the NBA and have ZERO other interests)
--running errands, performing menial daily tasks

As you get older, and throw a wife/kids into the mix and add in demanding full time job, it gets even harder. You have to prioritize, as the list of things that I just mentioned continue to grow. There truly may only be one night a week that can become "game night," in the end.
Good post. This has become part of the issue. I have a 2 year old girl, and another on the way. I have recently been promoted to a position that is much more time demanding, and school is taking up a good part of my time outside of work. My priorities have shifted a lot to the point where it's become difficult to catch everything I want to catch in the NBA world. It's not that I don't want to watch, but there wasn't really that anticipation this year that I usually have.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #35
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
They're still winning now. They had a great second half against the Cavs when they finally showed life.

I was still excited last year when they were 1-5, and Amare was sucking ass. I was posting when the board was flooded with "Amare is DONE!!!!", and the "What's wrong with the Suns?" threads. Don't give me that crap that I am basing this on wins/losses or current perfomance only. Especially this early in the year.

its really hard for anyone to swallow you or any team fan not being excited so far this year based on the team you follow. theres just too much coincidence between the Sun's start and maybe you starting this thread. I'm not judging you either way, but you really cant expect others not to make that correlation. it looks as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

but hey maybe you have followed all the teams around the NBA, watched various games, knowing the storyline revolving around each team and still not excited...like i said i'm not judging you, just pointing out whats obvious.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #36
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
Opening night in the NBA is one of my favorite days of the year. I don't care who's playing on TV, I'll watch just because the NBA is back.

This year, I've really had to try hard to even be excited about basketball again. I've chalked it up to a few things.

1. I've invested too much time and emotion into a league that I just can't see as that credible anymore.

2. I'm still harboring bitterness about the way the Suns were bounced out of the playoffs.

3. I don't feel any great hope of my team winning the championship, which is hard to get used after the passed 3 years. I have no faith in our front office.

4. I'm just busier than I ever have been. Something has to take a backseat, and in this case, basketball might just be that thing.

I've really had to force myself to watch games. Maybe it will change as the year goes on.
First off, Rab, I would like to say that I'm sorry so many people came into this thread and tried to crap on a legitimate post. Must be frustrating.

I imagine that the officiating thing would be incredibly tough for Suns fans. I think that the scandal coupled with the way the Suns lost in the playoffs would combine to be a HUGE downer for Phoenix fans. People like me aren't as affected by the officiating controversy because my team floundered in obscurity.

I do know, however, what it feels like to have no faith in the front office. Getting Jefferson in the Garnett deal was the one positive for Wolves' fans since 2003-2004. It's really hard to get excited about your team when you know that the guys who are pulling the strings aren't pulling them in a way you feel leads to a high level of success.

And yes, the busy factor definitely comes into play. Old men (by ISH standards) like Rab and me definitely understand that. It's good, though, that the other stuff that's important is remaining important to you and you're not being distracted.

I've had a harder time getting excited about it than I thought I would, too. Lots going on in life. Also, my excitement for watching the Wolves grow has been stifled a bit by Foye's injury. Additionally, I've been getting really excited for what a few Wolves will become in two or three seasons, and watching some of the other players participate in that growing process is frustrating because it feels like our team needs some more leadership in order to really foster the growth of Jefferson and Foye. I'd like to see less of guys like Telfair, even if he has a chance to develop into something good. You can only develop so many young guys effectively at once - after a certain point it creates an unstable environment.

So yeah, I feel for you Rab. Some of it is along different lines, but whatever.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #37
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

I have to admit, I am finding a lackluster approach to this season. The Cavs were humiliated in the Finals last year, and have played poorly so far this season.

I've started a new job, and I find it very difficult to stay up late to watch games.

I also had my cable turned off after last year's Finals because I just don't watch that much t.v. and I have yet to justify having it turned back on. Time Warner's prices are outrageous and like I said, I just don't watch much t.v. I could always buy some good rabbit ears.

I still participate here regularly, but so far I've missed 1/3 games so far on t.v. and will probably miss tonights.

I just hope this isn't the start of a trend where I stop watching altogether like I did for a few years after Jordan's second retirement. (Second time with the Bulls, before his return with the Wizards)

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #38
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Rab, sometimes basketball or something you enjoy takes a backseat to life. Nothing wrong with that. It would be worse if you let your child and work take a backseat to basketball. Moves, or lack of, by the front office can take the shine off of things. But the true fan is always there rooting for his team. And you are a true fan. It will get better and get on the upswing as the season goes on. If I can survive the Mavs of the 90's, you can get through this standing on your head.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #39
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

fair weather fan.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #40
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

I am. Watching the Hawks suck for the 9th str8 season isn't something I'm looking forward to.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #41
Odenorbust
High school junior varsity star

Odenorbust has an OK reputation so far

yes i'm a sixers fan! I'll be watching a ton of college bball. And if anyone can hange the title under my name to now known as roseorbust that be good
Odenorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #42
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
its really hard for anyone to swallow you or any team fan not being excited so far this year based on the team you follow. theres just too much coincidence between the Sun's start and maybe you starting this thread. I'm not judging you either way, but you really cant expect others not to make that correlation. it looks as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

but hey maybe you have followed all the teams around the NBA, watched various games, knowing the storyline revolving around each team and still not excited...like i said i'm not judging you, just pointing out whats obvious.
The first sentence of my original post must have been overlooked. I am not just a Suns fan. I am an NBA fan. I have been for 20 years now. I never really cared who was playing. If a game was on TV, I wanted to watch.

I really don't mind if people have feel like I am a bandwagoner. I feel no need to have to prove myself to anyone as a fan to my team. Those here who know me from the past know what kind of fan I am, so I'm not worried. It's a little irritating that people like to focus on parts of a posts, and not the post as a whole, but I've come to expect that from people here. Nothing new.

And again, it's not like I am not excited at all that basketball is back. I will watch as much I can. It's just taking me a little longer than usual, and that isn't normal for me.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #43
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
The first sentence of my original post must have been overlooked. I am not just a Suns fan. I am an NBA fan. I have been for 20 years now. I never really cared who was playing. If a game was on TV, I wanted to watch.

I really don't mind if people have feel like I am a bandwagoner. I feel no need to have to prove myself to anyone as a fan to my team. Those here who know me from the past know what kind of fan I am, so I'm not worried. It's a little irritating that people like to focus on parts of a posts, and not the post as a whole, but I've come to expect that from people here. Nothing new.

And again, it's not like I am not excited at all that basketball is back. I will watch as much I can. It's just taking me a little longer than usual, and that isn't normal for me.

if you had to watch your team suck year after year you probably wouldn't have as much of a problem.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #44
PhxFanAtBirth
High School JV MVP

PhxFanAtBirth has an OK reputation so far

God damn.... Everyone is on Rab for saying he's just not as excited as he used to be? I agree with Rab, the playoffs last year did leave a bitter taste in my mouth. If that had been any other team in the league its fans would be upset as well. You can't help but not be. I'm extremely excited for this season, my team has started off even better than last year. And with the addition of Grant Hill > James Jones and Brian Skinner who is proving himself to be cheaper and more valuable than KT I truly believe PHX is a better team than last year.

Everybody needs to lay off Rab, he was telling the board how he felt and to see if anyone felt the same. If you don't feel the same way then just say you don't but don't attack a well respected poster on his feelings about the season.
PhxFanAtBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #45
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
First off, Rab, I would like to say that I'm sorry so many people came into this thread and tried to crap on a legitimate post. Must be frustrating.

I've come to expect that. No big surprise.

Quote:
I imagine that the officiating thing would be incredibly tough for Suns fans. I think that the scandal coupled with the way the Suns lost in the playoffs would combine to be a HUGE downer for Phoenix fans. People like me aren't as affected by the officiating controversy because my team floundered in obscurity.

It really has nothing to do with officiating in the Spurs series. The part that's hard to get over is Amare and Diaw leaving the bench.

It's more about Donaghy, and the ENTIRE gambling scandal. When you invest so much of your time/money/emotion into supporting a sport, and then you find out it may have been as credible as professional wrestling, it stings you a bit, or at least it did me. Kudos to those who are unphased by that.

Quote:
I do know, however, what it feels like to have no faith in the front office. Getting Jefferson in the Garnett deal was the one positive for Wolves' fans since 2003-2004. It's really hard to get excited about your team when you know that the guys who are pulling the strings aren't pulling them in a way you feel leads to a high level of success.

Yes, you would know far better than I about the frustrations of a terrible front office. The way they our's tried to sell us on certain moves left me a bit upset, but that's how the NBA is run today. I'm still scratching my head about the Walker deal though. I know you didn't like Ricky Davis, but Walker isn't much better.

Quote:
I've had a harder time getting excited about it than I thought I would, too. Lots going on in life. Also, my excitement for watching the Wolves grow has been stifled a bit by Foye's injury. Additionally, I've been getting really excited for what a few Wolves will become in two or three seasons, and watching some of the other players participate in that growing process is frustrating because it feels like our team needs some more leadership in order to really foster the growth of Jefferson and Foye. I'd like to see less of guys like Telfair, even if he has a chance to develop into something good. You can only develop so many young guys effectively at once - after a certain point it creates an unstable environment.

It's going to be a painful road ahead for the Wolves in terms of wins/losses, but like you said, it will be interesting to see what their new young players will turn into. For the first time in years, the Wolves have choices to make, and new roads to venture down. That alone, must be refreshing, even though the loss of KG is probably tough to swallow. You guys have a lot to look forward to IMHO. It is too bad about Foye. I was curious to see what how he'd do in his second year.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: