Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-28-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
The REAL Next KNICK
Serious playground baller

The REAL Next KNICK has no real reputation yet.
Default Renaldo Balkman

ORLANDO -- A few other players had bigger stats, and many other players have bigger reputations, but South Carolina's Renaldo Balkman generated the most murmurs among NBA player personnel assembled at the NBA Pre-Draft Camp on Thursday.

Where's Balkman? He blocks a drive by elusive UCLA guard Jordan Farmar, throws an outlet pass to a teammate, outruns the pack and ends up finishing the same play with a layup on the other end. Where's Balkman now? He's pushed out-of-bounds by a bigger player, but after the perpetrator snares the ill-gotten rebound, Balkman sneaks back in bounds, snatches the ball out his hands and dunks. Have you seen Balkman? Now he's gotten a long defensive rebound and is dribbling with the dexterity of a point guard, expertly choosing the right wing player for a pass that leads to another basket.

At times during the Thursday-morning game it seemed that a second Renaldo Balkman had checked into the game, since he was involved in twice as many plays as any other player. The mid-sized forward (6-foot-7, 210 pounds) did a little of everything in leading Team Four to a 94-78 victory over Team One. The game was a tight battle in the first half, but when the second half started, so did The Balkman Show.

The man Pre-Draft Camp assistant coach Popeye Jones hilariously dubbed "Humpty" -- for his physical resemblance to a character in the decidedly uncouth 1990 video for the Digital Underground's The Humpty Dance -- took over the game with a torrent of plays at both ends. His numbers (14 points, 11 rebounds, two blocks, two steals) don't capture the unique stamp Balkman put on this game. But Balkman consistently makes plays, including those on the offensive end when no play is called for him. His high-energy, game-altering play has been one of the most surprising developments in this year's camp.

Balkman is one of a handful of players who have big decisions to make in the next 10 days. Players who declared for early entry and who have not signed with an agent can withdraw from the 2006 draft by notifying the NBA in writing by June 18, 10 days before the June 28 draft.
The REAL Next KNICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The REAL Next KNICK
ORLANDO -- A few other players had bigger stats, and many other players have bigger reputations, but South Carolina's Renaldo Balkman generated the most murmurs among NBA player personnel assembled at the NBA Pre-Draft Camp on Thursday.

Where's Balkman? He blocks a drive by elusive UCLA guard Jordan Farmar, throws an outlet pass to a teammate, outruns the pack and ends up finishing the same play with a layup on the other end. Where's Balkman now? He's pushed out-of-bounds by a bigger player, but after the perpetrator snares the ill-gotten rebound, Balkman sneaks back in bounds, snatches the ball out his hands and dunks. Have you seen Balkman? Now he's gotten a long defensive rebound and is dribbling with the dexterity of a point guard, expertly choosing the right wing player for a pass that leads to another basket.

At times during the Thursday-morning game it seemed that a second Renaldo Balkman had checked into the game, since he was involved in twice as many plays as any other player. The mid-sized forward (6-foot-7, 210 pounds) did a little of everything in leading Team Four to a 94-78 victory over Team One. The game was a tight battle in the first half, but when the second half started, so did The Balkman Show.

The man Pre-Draft Camp assistant coach Popeye Jones hilariously dubbed "Humpty" -- for his physical resemblance to a character in the decidedly uncouth 1990 video for the Digital Underground's The Humpty Dance -- took over the game with a torrent of plays at both ends. His numbers (14 points, 11 rebounds, two blocks, two steals) don't capture the unique stamp Balkman put on this game. But Balkman consistently makes plays, including those on the offensive end when no play is called for him. His high-energy, game-altering play has been one of the most surprising developments in this year's camp.

Balkman is one of a handful of players who have big decisions to make in the next 10 days. Players who declared for early entry and who have not signed with an agent can withdraw from the 2006 draft by notifying the NBA in writing by June 18, 10 days before the June 28 draft.

The problem is they took him at 20 when he would still be available at 29.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
The REAL Next KNICK
Serious playground baller

The REAL Next KNICK has no real reputation yet.

if we didnt take him at 20 we would have took mardy collins any way lol
The REAL Next KNICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
bringthetruth
Banned

bringthetruth has no real reputation yet.
Default This Guy Is Gonna Play

Just remember this how many gm's would have picked david Lee earlier in last yrs draft knowing what they know now. LOL

Guys that hustle are hard to find, how many guys on the knicks had many steals last year ? This guy Balkman has me sold !

Ariza was soo young 1 yr at UCLA, Balkman a 21 yr old junior... there is a difference here.

Defense as brown said leads to running, don't think Zeke didn't pick brown's brain before he fired him.

Hit up on this link and click on balkman's name. This guy will be great !

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2503390
bringthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

NYKnicks914 has decent reputation
Default "Renaldo Balkman puts his stamp on games."

As seen on www.dwolin.blogspot.com

I love the fact that the Knicks got an insanely aggressive, defense-first, athletic player with a great work ethicin Renaldo Balkman. The only problem I had was that there was word that Balkman was going to go mid second-round to undrafted. I read from a few different sources, however, that the Suns were planning on grabbing him at 21 (they traded the pick after the Knicks took him at 20). If this is true, then I say excellent job to Isiah. I am very excited to see what Balkman brings from the table. Unfortunately I have not seen him play (unusual for me)... I don't watch the NIT much and I certainly don't make a point to watch South Carolina during the year. Speaking of the NIT, his Gamecocks team is a monster in the (second tier) post-season tournament. From what I hear, he is the reason for it, as he "puts his stamp on any game he plays in."

Mardy Collins is definitely a solid pick at 29. He (deservedly) was viewed as a possible lottery pick because of his excellent play-making ability, experience, and size. I have seen him play and I love the way he competes. My only reservation concerning Mardy is that his speed is a bit sub-par. This could definitely hinder his ability to play point; I think people often overvalue size at the PG position and undervalue speed/quickness. That being said, there will always be a spot for a playmaker like Collins on the floor, especially on a team like the Knicks where the PG's aren't really PG's. I think that is the most important thing to consider when talking aboutMardy Collins' value on the Knicks... The Knick PG's are excellent scorers, but their playmaking abilities and selflessness leave something to be desired. With Mardy on the floor, he helps neutralize the negative impacts of a scoring point guard (there are also positives to scoring PG's) as he will not play the traditional scoring role of a 2 guard - rather a playmaking ballplayer.

Last edited by NYKnicks914 : 06-29-2006 at 10:16 AM.
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

No matter what this kat does its a wasted pick. He was not slated to go higher than the mid-30's. The Knicks could have drafted Marcus Williams at 20 and held his draft rights hostage until someone made an offer.

That would have allowed them to get the two guys that wanted, Balkman and Mardy Collins, and some extra pieces.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
blakdes
I airball my layups

blakdes has an OK reputation so far

Ok, its official! You guys are warped!

Renaldo Balkman a good pick @ 20? Are you f@cking kidding me? Not one commentator knew who he was. They didnt even have a highlight reel for money. And this is a good pick? The knicks have offically disappointed me to the point of disgust and pity. Why would you go in the draft with no cap room, a team full of guards, and you use your only 2 picks for.....Guards. Josh Boone was on the table. Atleast dude can play defense and grab boards.

And that david lee comment. I love david lee, but we are talking about the knicks here, they barely gave him any burn, and he has an ass full of splinters dude to all the bench riding he does. The knicks were more concerned with playing the VETs (mind you, vets that no other team wants), instead of just putting the young talent on the floor and letting them gain experience.

I think if renaldo Balkman plays like Ronaldo Blackman, it would be a f@cking blessing.

F@ck the Knicks!

Last edited by blakdes : 06-29-2006 at 11:50 AM.
blakdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdes
Ok, its official! You guys are warped!

Renaldo Balkman a good pick @ 20? Are you f@cking kidding me? Not one commentator knew who he was. They didnt even have a highlight reel for money. And this is a good pick? The knicks have offically disappointed me to the point of disgust and pity. Why would you go in the draft with no cap room, a team full of guards, and you use your only 2 picks for.....Guards. Josh Boone was on the table. Atleast dude can play defense and grab boards.

And that david lee comment. I love david lee, but we are talking about the knicks here, they barely gave him any burn, and he has an ass full of splinters dude to all the bench riding he does. The knicks were more concerned with playing the VETs (mind you, vets that no other team wants), instead of just putting the young talent on the floor and letting them gain experience.

I think if renaldo Balkman plays like Ronaldo Blackman, it would be a f@cking blessing.

F@ck the Knicks!
guess what? thats exactly what balkman does and he does it better. He's a hustle player (just like JYD) while boone is an underachiever who plays with little passion and has motivation problems. Boone won't amout to **** in the nba.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
blakdes
I airball my layups

blakdes has an OK reputation so far

Well lets hopeso, there are alot of mysteries.

There is noway everyone here saw that pick and was like "Good Pick Isiah". I am a college bball watcher and never heard of dude. My immediate reaction was "Oh Shyt, ronaldo blackman has a son..." only to be disappointed to not even that was the case.
blakdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Blakdes - read the first couple of paragraphs of the most recent post on www.dwolin.blogspot.com - I was with you.

BUT

"Not one commentator knew who he was"
Jay bilas knew who he was. He was the only one I would expect to know who he was, since Balkman was a surprise pick. The other two were not there for their ability to evaluate a college player's abilities. Those guys don't have anything to do with college ball. They were there to apply what they were told about college players to NBA teams. It's very simple; they were not told anything about Renaldo Balkman because he was projected as a second rounder. That is also why he had no highlight reel. They only made highlight reels for who they thought were possible first rounders. So really all that happened was the Knicks made a surprise pick... the fact that Stephen A. and Greg Anthony didn't know about him and that he had no highlight reel were direct results of him just being a surprise.

Jay, whose opinions on evaluating college talent should definitely be respected, said he was baffled by the pick. This was largely because he said that he expected Balkman to go mid second round to undrafted (the Knicks took him at 20). Sources, however, have said that the Phoenix Suns were eying him at #21. The Suns traded their pick away after the Knicks took Balkman.

The reasons for why Balkman is a great fit for the Knicks is in my last post (it would be great if you have enough time to read this post and the last post); at the very least he brings a rugged, hard-working attitude to the soft team. Marcus Williams, on the other hand, has a more than questionable attitude (selling stolen laptops, then the whole bit about him being out of shape, though honestly personally I am not a big believer in that) and he would not even see the court on the Knicks. He would be playing behind Marbury and Francis. Although those two are not good leaders and passers, they are certainly not bad players when they play to their strengths and they should be on the court. To help relieve that problem, Mardy Collins can be an off the ball distributer while the "point guards" score.

Referring to the second paragraph - you based what they will do in the future on what they have done in the past. They just fired Larry Brown because they did not like what he had done (in the past)... meaning that there will be changes. That gives me reason to believe that David Lee WILL get playing time, especially since the person who drafted him last year is now coaching him.

To Da KO King About trading Marcus... there are no guarentees, especially for the Knicks, that a trade could have been feasible. It does look worse that they helped their cross-town rivals out dramatically, as he is an absolutely perfect fit for the Nets, but the Knicks made two great decisions. People focus on what they passed up, but in reality they took two players that fit. The players they passed up would not have helped the Knicks the way the team is currently, or will be for at least a year.

Last edited by NYKnicks914 : 06-29-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Another thing is - referring to thenextgreatbigman second paragraph - you based what they will do in the future on what they had done in the past. They just fired Larry Brown because they did not like what he had done (in the past)... meaning that there will be changes. That gives me reason to believe that David Lee WILL get playing time, especially since the person who drafted him last year is now coaching him.
great but that wasb't my post, i just quoted the other poster.

here's what i have to say about it

Quote:
from what i read, the suns were interested in him and traded away their picks because isiah drafted him before they could.

And as much as i like marcus williams, he would have been horrible in NY, guy has bad rep and would only be a problem (ala marbury/francis). Collins is a way better fit at PG for us because at 6'6 we can let marbury/francis play SG, he'll play point on offense and quard the taller guard on defense.

i also checked out a few articles on balkman and from what i read he's everything we need, got picked high but if thats what we had to do to get him then i'm fine. And even though we suck, we have a deep team and balkman will be fine getting little playing time and almost no shots. Balkman is JYD Jr and even though most knick fans hate it now (i did but i thought about it twice), they'll fall in love with his hustle once they get to see him play.

It wasn't a great draft for us, but some people try to make it look like a disaster when we got the 2 players that we really needed.

but at first i didn't like when he picked ariza and lee either. i wasn't even all that happy when he picked frye, so i'm not saying **** till the season starts and i get to see him play a few games
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

yeah - my mistake bigman - i had fixed it though

It looks like we actually agree on every element of the Knicks' draft - you basically said exactly what I said
Old 06-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

i love the pick of balkman. it doesnt make a difference. lets say u take mardy collins at 20, people would say thats a good pick and if u take balkman at 29 people would say thats a good pick also. it doesnt make a difference. i am a big knicks fan i watched the knicks all season. balkman is exactly what the knicks need. hes not goin to focus on scoring that got plenty of that. hes goin to focus on playin with high energy, playin great defense blockin a couple of shots getting steals and he plays with a lot of love for the game and he plays with a lot of toughness. hes 6'7 but he got a 7'1 wingspan so he plays bigger then what he is. i have been watchin the knicks for years now if he plays his game trust me the knicks fan will like this guy alot. people sayin they should have drafted marcus williams there no point in drafting him. i do like marcus williams a lot and i felt he was the best point gaurd but if u draft him he's never goin to see the court. balkman will make more of an impact then if u drafted williams. people compare balkman to rodman u mean to tell me thats not a good pick i think it is yea u drafted him 20th but f##k it so what. he will pan out. all the negativity he is recieving i hope balkman can use this for motivation to prove people wrong and show y he was pick this high. so this is not a good pick its a great pick.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Default yup

Knick fans with a brain unite!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
HKSVIP
I hit open layups

HKSVIP has an OK reputation so far

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZH3ylwIuh...s%20basketball

It's a video of teh Gamecocks but it has some awesome plays from Balkman in them. towards the end. 2 dunks vs Louisville are awesome. This kid will be somehting but I would still have wanted Marcus...
HKSVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: