Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
nkjordan23
Great young streetballer

Default Josh Smith for Baron??

My team looks like this:

Baron
Mo Will
Dirk
Ben Wallace
Turkoglu
Hamilton
Maggette
Gasol
Horford
Thornton
Gomes
Kapono
Maxiel

I am being offered Josh Smith for Baron. This guy is dying in assists and my rebounding is kind of hurting with Wallace and Gasol being weak on the boards so far. My only worry is this is Baron Davis's contract year and when he plays, he plays very good. He has the triple double ability, but Smith can get you 5 blocks and 5 steals any night. What would you do?
nkjordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
warriorsfan623
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Josh Smith for Baron??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjordan23
My team looks like this:

Baron
Mo Will
Dirk
Ben Wallace
Turkoglu
Hamilton
Maggette
Gasol
Horford
Thornton
Gomes
Kapono
Maxiel

I am being offered Josh Smith for Baron. This guy is dying in assists and my rebounding is kind of hurting with Wallace and Gasol being weak on the boards so far. My only worry is this is Baron Davis's contract year and when he plays, he plays very good. He has the triple double ability, but Smith can get you 5 blocks and 5 steals any night. What would you do?

well i have both on my team. theres also a injury risk with baron and josh smith is a beast right now. but it is barons contract year and he is playing really well right now. he will explode more later on when sjax comes back. i would hold on right now and find an alternative for rebounds.
warriorsfan623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
SRZ66
Local High School Star

josh smith is honestly as elite as they come in fantasy, id trade baron in a heartbeat. j smoov is averaging 4 blocks, 3.5 steals right now. that is unheard of
SRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

The thing to think about in this trade is the major loss in dimes that you'll suffer. While Smith would improve your rebounding, I wouldn't want to count on Mo as my assist leader, especially with the way his season has started. Without seeing his roster, I would guess that this trade works better for him than you. Smith would be an incredible asset, but you're punting one category completely to improve in categories you're already competitive in.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRZ66
josh smith is honestly as elite as they come in fantasy, id trade baron in a heartbeat. j smoov is averaging 4 blocks, 3.5 steals right now. that is unheard of
I agree. I have Baron on my fantasy team also, and he's great, but if someone offered me Josh Smith for Baron, it'd be a no brainer. However, given your current team, it looks like you don't have a lot in the assists department, so if I were you i'd either hold on to Baron for now, or try to swing a deal for a pg before you make this move.

Last edited by haterofhaters : 11-08-2007 at 05:52 PM.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
chuckyboy34
High School Starter

chug chug chug chug...oh wait...DO it Do it Do it
chuckyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
monkierojer
Decent playground baller

value wise i would do it in a heart beat but if you are hurting in ast i would make the trade and try to trade again to gain ast. Baron is probably a 1st round pick when he stays injured but he is so injury prone i didn't draft him in any of my leagues. Look at his track record for the last few years...its really disgusting. I say get Jsmith and use that upgraded value to trade something else away for another pg.
monkierojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjordan23
My team looks like this:

Baron
Mo Will
Dirk
Ben Wallace
Turkoglu
Hamilton
Maggette
Gasol
Horford
Thornton
Gomes
Kapono
Maxiel

STOP!

NORMALLY THIS IS A NO BRAINER AND I'D SAY DO IT

WHERE'S YOUR ASSIST?!
YOU ONLY HAVE ONE PT GUARD
AND I HAVE MO WILLIAMS MYSELF AND HE'S NOT ENOUGH TO CARRY THAT STATISTIC.

FORCE HIM TO COME OFF A PT GUARD TOO THEN DO IT!
OR MAKE SURE THERE'S IN YOU FREE AGENT POOL
otherwise you killing yourself in one category.
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
LakersFO
High School Varsity 6th Man

Screw the assists...Take josh Smith. Find assists(3's and assists are easy to find) on the wire or make another trade

Accept the trade. accept the trade. accept the trade.

Diddy avg between 6-9 assists a game. So does Jose calderon. Done.
LakersFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
LakersFO

And he isn't dead in the assits category

Dirk, Gasol, Hedo, Mau and Mags all have 5 assists in them.

Do the damn deal already. If you want maybe he has a throwin pg...

But i would just accept. How many times have i said that?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersFO
Screw the assists...Take josh Smith. Find assists(3's and assists are easy to find) on the wire or make another trade

Accept the trade. accept the trade. accept the trade.

Diddy avg between 6-9 assists a game. So does Jose calderon. Done.
6-9 is a wide gap. just to clarify what you are saying Jose averages 6 and Baron averages 9.8 to be exact. And, assists are not easy to find. Sure, you find many who average about 5 a game but given that he only has one good pg on his team, it'd be a big hit to trade Baron who is probably the only thing keeping him alive in the assist category. However, I suppose if you are ok with sacrificing the assist category then go ahead and do it, i'm sure this deal won't be on the table forever.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
LakersFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
6-9 is a wide gap. just to clarify what you are saying Jose averages 6 and Baron averages 9.8 to be exact. And, assists are not easy to find. Sure, you find many who average about 5 a game but given that he only has one good pg on his team, it'd be a big hit to trade Baron who is probably the only thing keeping him alive in the assist category. However, I suppose if you are ok with sacrificing the assist category then go ahead and do it, i'm sure this deal won't be on the table forever.

HOHtrs, You make a good point. But saying its a "big hit" isn't wrong. Baron is the only true point guard in the positional sense. Fantasy wise, He smartly or accidently drafted great assist support players. Allowing him to take on a lesser point guard should he choose. In this case, he has the perfect team balance to absorb trading diddy and his 9.8 assits. Josh Smith assist average is 4. Technically he loses 5.8 assists a game. And with the free agent 5 assists a game you mentioned...its a wash or loss of 4 assists at worst.

Great deal...actually its perfect for him. DO THE DAMN THING!!!

Josh Smith improves his blks, stls and rebs.Two of the 3 hardest cats to gain.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
LakersFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters

The gap is wide because assists vary as a margin between the +/- of their assists

calderons assists by game 4-8-4-8-6 coming off the bench.

Diddy apg 10-11-8-10.

My gap of 4 is semi-accurate when you look at the avg and actual game log.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
RapsFan
Great college starter

There shouldn't be much of a discussion. Do the deal.

Make subsequent deals for dimes if you need it, or tank dimes. Either way, you are getting the far superior player.

Did you forget that Josh Smith is as much in a contract year as Baron? Sure Baron can be unrestricted, but Smith is still playing for a MAX extension from the Hawks, or any other team.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
LakersFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
There shouldn't be much of a discussion. Do the deal.

Make subsequent deals for dimes if you need it, or tank dimes. Either way, you are getting the far superior player.

Did you forget that Josh Smith is as much in a contract year as Baron? Sure Baron can be unrestricted, but Smith is still playing for a MAX extension from the Hawks, or any other team.

Everything is open to discussion. And getting the superior player alone and ignoring your overall team balance is poor strategy 9-10 times.

The fantasy rule that stats...the team getting the biggest name is winning usually works in package deals not one-one. But i don't but into that fantasy guidline half the time.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: