Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.
Default Mav's attemptin to sign george

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...a5.html#george

George on the way: The Mavericks are working on details of a contract that will lock up former Los Angeles Laker Devean George.

The 6-8, free-agent forward was a vital part of the Lakers' championship teams with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. That experience is what has the Mavericks excited about the possibility of landing him with a veteran's minimum contract, about $1.2 million, guaranteed.

The Mavericks on Monday finalized the trade that brings backup point guard Anthony Johnson to the team for Darrell Armstrong, Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall. Even if Powell and Marshall are waived by the Pacers, they will not be returning to Dallas, apparently.

The Mavericks, according to Johnson, believe that a veteran with NBA Finals experience will better serve them at this point than young projects. George would fit that billing.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

LiL Stevie has decent reputation

Mavs have upped their offer to 1 year, $2 million. It's still far from being a done deal. In fact, I don't even think it was that close to begin with. The stupid Dallas Morning News just used bad wording to make it seem like it was 95% done. Apparently, some other teams are still after George too.
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

Id rather go after Jumaine Jones.

Im surprised he hasnt been signed yet and there are absolutely no rumors or talk about him as a UFA. I bet Dallas could snag him for a 3year, 6+ million contract...
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

Yeah I like Jumaine Jones too. He also has NBA Finals experience when he played with the Sixers.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Jones is a better player then George, so I'm pretty sure he can get more then the 2 million Devean is being offered.

He'd be an excellent pick-up, but he's an even less realistic option then George.

Last edited by mavsfan4zindagi : 07-27-2006 at 05:47 PM.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

^^True. He's a better overall player than George, with more offensive skill so he should demand more money. Plus, coming to Dallas to be the 10th-12th man and not a consistant part of the rotation doesn't sound too attractive, especially for a guy who's still relatively young like him.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Pretty much.

But I think the Mavs should make a legit run at both guys, considering that there aren't any veteran options left at the backup SF spot.

Jones may not be possible with what we have left to offer, but I think we can get George if we give him a 2 to 3 year contract.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

George doesnt deserve a 2-3 year contract. Jumaine Jones, however does. I would think he would go fro more than a 3 year, 7 million dollar contract at the beginning of the season too, but I have yet to see many rumors of teams going after him even after guys like Salmon, Bucker, Griffin, Fred Jones, Trevor Ariza, ect are getting signed.

Fred Jones is younger than Jumaine Jones and just signed a 3 year, 11 million dollar contract, averging very similar numbers to Jumaine. I do think he's probably out of our reach if every team had money available, but most dont and if he wants to go to a winning team, he may have to accept less money.

Dallas at least needs to be aquiring about him with his agent and seeing whats up, and I have yet to see that happen...
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i dont see why the Mavs would want DG. he is really not all that good. he shoots a horrible percentage and really only is good for 3's and since the Mavs have added AC Slater, Buckner and Turtle, they really dont need another 3 pt shooter.

and title experiance? please. he was paid to ride the bench and to watch the Kobe and Shaq show. thats about it.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

It's one of those things that sounds good at first. You hear George and you know the name from the Lakers and the championships and it sounds good. But you start thinking about it a little more and realize, it's been a while and he didn't do all that much. And it doesn't sound so good after all.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Realistically speaking, what other FA SF is going to provide us with the same size and range and at the same bargin price of 2 million/year?

I think Jumiane Jones would be better, but I'm thinking he goes for more then what we can offer.

On top of that, what other serviceable player is gonna be willing to come here and be the 12th man with almost no guarantee of consistent playing time?

Not saying that George is gonna come here and tear it up, but I think he's a great insurance policy and addresses some needs at the SF position.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 AM   #12
Milkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard01
Id rather go after Jumaine Jones.

Im surprised he hasnt been signed yet and there are absolutely no rumors or talk about him as a UFA. I bet Dallas could snag him for a 3year, 6+ million contract...
yeah id like Jumaine Jones much also but he'll prolly want more court time
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: