Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #16
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
But because the way the system is run he would probably have a little less assists per game

That is possible, but the triangle is a team oriented system.. so as the "initiator" he could be extremely effective, assist stats or not.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #17
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

nash would've worked when rudy t was the coach
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #18
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansrams
Remember he traded Old Payton for Mihm and Marcus Banks,if that trade would of worked out that would of been a great trade for the lakeshow. Just Mihm himself holds much more value than Payton right now,so it was still a great trade. (I cant remember who else the Lkakers included in that deal.)

We traded Payton, Rick Fox (who ended up retiring...lool) and a 2nd round pick i think

We got mihm, atkins (*****) and jumaine jones in return
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM   #19
hotsizzle
Superstar

heres something thats gonna make laker fans more angry at shaq...when the shaq trade talks were all over the place, i remember steven A smith was reporting on how both the lakers and clippers were down with trading brand/maggette for shaq. shaq however said that he wouldnt play for the clipps and that he would definetly opt out at the end of the yr causing the clipps to think again...
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:20 AM   #20
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
nash would've worked when rudy t was the coach

Thats exactly what I was thinking because we ran the same system as the suns. We even played No Defense like them either. hahaha
Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 AM   #21
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
heres something thats gonna make laker fans more angry at shaq...when the shaq trade talks were all over the place, i remember steven A smith was reporting on how both the lakers and clippers were down with trading brand/maggette for shaq. shaq however said that he wouldnt play for the clipps and that he would definetly opt out at the end of the yr causing the clipps to think again...

Shaq is a hypocrite. I dont know how many of you read his book "Shaq Talks Back"

This was after he won his second title with us. He was mentioning in a part that the NBA is a business and people shouldnt take trades personally.

Well if thats the case Why did he demand a trade and get so angry when he found out we wetre considering trading him???

He honestly thought he was so good at the time that he thought he was the man and Kobe would be the one to leave.

People call Kobe cocky? well Damn If you work so hard and ur the best player in the NBA its ok. But shaq cant even close ggames or Play Defense.
Why wouldnt anyone wanna trade shaq?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #22
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:
Shaq is a hypocrite. I dont know how many of you read his book "Shaq Talks Back"

This was after he won his second title with us. He was mentioning in a part that the NBA is a business and people shouldnt take trades personally.

Well if thats the case Why did he demand a trade and get so angry when he found out we wetre considering trading him???

He honestly thought he was so good at the time that he thought he was the man and Kobe would be the one to leave.

People call Kobe cocky? well Damn If you work so hard and ur the best player in the NBA its ok. But shaq cant even close ggames or Play Defense.

well i agree with most of what you're sayin. but that last line sounds idiotic, no offense. shaq is perhaps the most dominant player ever. he was a complete monster in his prime getting 35/15 on a regular basis, and not to mention how much easier he makes it for his teamates. now if you're making the point of "why wouldnt anyone wanna trade shaq" in the case of the kobe/shaq fiasco, then yes I agree, Lakers made the right decision by keeping Kobe.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #23
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

Quote:

Yeah Snaq alwayz wants to look all jovial and like the nicest guy in the world to the media and stuff but he's a pretty bitter and jealous dude. If he woulda just aknowledged Kobe as the better player like he did Wade, he could still be here, but noo.........
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
well i agree with most of what you're sayin. but that last line sounds idiotic, no offense. shaq is perhaps the most dominant player ever. he was a complete monster in his prime getting 35/15 on a regular basis, and not to mention how much easier he makes it for his teamates. now if you're making the point of "why wouldnt anyone wanna trade shaq" in the case of the kobe/shaq fiasco, then yes I agree, Lakers made the right decision by keeping Kobe.

I don't think Shaq EVER got 35/15 on a "regular basis". Obviously not for an entire season, but I would guess not even for a month...ever. I think he only led the league in rebound once or twice very early in his career. But, yes, he was and still is the best true center active today (though Yao may catch him this year).
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
Yeah Snaq alwayz wants to look all jovial and like the nicest guy in the world to the media and stuff but he's a pretty bitter and jealous dude. If he woulda just aknowledged Kobe as the better player like he did Wade, he could still be here, but noo.........

that's exactly what I've been saying for years! He should have passed the leadership torch like a man! Just like Kareem did for Magic. Shaq was NOT in his prime his last couple years with the Lakers. Always out of shape, missing half the season. Doing just enuf to make sure we got to the playoffs. He did not lead by example. Having said that, I would still want him on my team, but not at $25million/yr
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #26
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

I agree... he's also an emotional big baby. Yes, Shaq is a great player, but he's one of the biggest whining babies in the NBA.... If he would just keep his trap shut, I would respect him a lot more.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #27
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansrams
Kwame is a much better defender when it comes to playing a player one on one in the post. Last year there was times he got caught with Nash off a pick and roll and did a good job considering who he was covering, he moved his feet real well. Kwame matches up defensivley better than Mihm with players like Duncan, Garnett and so on. I do think the depth of Brown,Mihm And Bynum will help a great deal considering injuries and foul trouble. The fact is are team has come along way since the Shaq trade and Kupcapes should be given alot of credit for his fine tuning of the team. Remember he traded Old Payton for Mihm and Marcus Banks,if that trade would of worked out that would of been a great trade for the lakeshow. Just Mihm himself holds much more value than Payton right now,so it was still a great trade. (I cant remember who else the Lkakers included in that deal.)

Kwame is a better defender, but all those guys you stated are pfs. Mihm is a legit center, kwame is more of a center in a pf body. Mihm can block shots not only from the blind side, but w/ straight up 1-1 d. And yeah cupcake did make a good deal w/ boston, and i think he got the best deal for shaq. but he is still below average for laker standards. forget average, we need jerry west like baby, trading divac for a little know guy named kobe bryant. i think he saw somethink similar in rudy gay. Cupcake works well w/ things he already has, which is a good thing because some gms give away talent. I used to hate this guy, but i am starting to think he will turn out to be one of the better gms in the league. Next offseason we will see what he is made of w/ money to spend when b grants max contract is up. dont let us down, or we will have to give you a russian necktie.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #28
Greg Anthony
I airball my layups

This is Why I hate shaq

Before leaving via a trade in 2004, O’Neal had been pushing the Lakers for a contract extension at approximately $30 million per season. He later signed a $20 million per season extension with the Heat, the kind of deal he wouldn’t even discuss with the Lakers.

If O’Neal had only asked $20 million per season from the Lakers (which would have been a pay cut), he and Bryant would likely be teammates today.

The irony, of course, is that Miami coach Pat Riley had come to Los Angeles in 2004 to talk with the Lakers about replacing Jackson. Riley had pitched himself as the ideal candidate to help Shaq and Kobe stay together.

However, Riley came away from his meetings with the Lakers with a key nugget – there was no way Jerry Buss was going to give Shaq the huge extension he wanted.

So Riley returned to Miami, where he was then an executive, and began working out the details of the trade that brought O’Neal to the Heat.

Riley later signed Shaq to the bargain price for four seasons, and in so doing set in motion the drive to the 2006 NBA championship.

Shaq slaps kobe at practice in 98 calls him the boy wonder for years and then when kobe becomes a great player wants to say he got kobe to that level. he is a drama king even this year when he showed us he's declining he is still demanding the ball. it's crazy everytime something happens with shaq it's the other guys fault. penny hardaway,eddie jones,kobe but it's alway the other guys fault.
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

he was actually pushing for 88 million on a 3 year deal. about 30 mill a year.

that right there is ludacris. Noone ever gets offererd that money.

We should have traded shaq to San Antonio for Tim duncan.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #30
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Shaq fu

1 - Dallas did not offer Nash to the Lakers in a deal. Nash was a free agent and it would have taken a sign and trade to make it work. I wouldn't have traded for Walker for anything. Jacks too many treys and would not have fit the system. Lakers were smart by trading him to who they did.

2 - Kupchak had all intentions to make Shaq fulfill his contract - Buss wanted to trade him due to the B.S. he pulled in Hawaii during preseason. Kupchak held firm that he wanted Wade in return for Shaq - Shaq then told Riles that he wouldn't play for the Heat without him - Jim Buss forced Mitches hand and vioala - the trade happened. Kupchak is a smart man from the old school of Jerry West. He skims for talent at the bottom and has the coach to maximize their potential. People make it sound that he writes the checks for these players?

As referenced by the great Magic Johnson "Not one man is bigger than the Lakers organization. Buss pays the checks so he ultimately makes the decisions who goes and who stays. Kobe had nothing to do with the deal, nothing".

I trust in the Lakers organization that has given us playoff teams virtually every year since I've been watching them (1979). They didn't make it once when Magic retired (Sedale Threat and Terry Teagle days) and they didn't make it once (post Shaq days). How many teams out there can provide that quality every year? At least we weren't the Clippers!

We have a coach that can make stars out of nothing and I have confidence that this roster they have now can go deep in the playoffs. Think of this - If Smush wouldn't have disappeared in his first significant playoff action, how far do you think they would have made it?
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: