Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
jrong
Revolution untelevised

jrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation here
Default Don't get overexcited about LeBron's 29, 8, and 8

First, in '88 - '89, Jordan averaged 33, 8, and 8, and something like seven triple-doubles in a row and 13 out of 14. (yeah, that Jordan guy was a phenomenal passer-- someone forgot to tell the sports media of his day though).

Second, it's ten games into the season. Those averages almost certainly won't hold.

Third, his team is 5 - 5.

Fourth, Dwyane Wade received minimal credit for putting up 30, 5, and 8 (pre-injury) with similar defensive stats and better FG and FT percentages last year while (without Shaq) keeping his team hovering around .500. So, I don't see why LeBron should get serious MVP consideration either.

(Note: before homers call me a *****, I'll out myself: I am one. Now, I'm not the kind of ***** who says LeBron is garbage. Obviously, he is one of the very best players in the world and will certainly be one of the 50 best ever. What makes me a ***** (apparently) is that I believe LeBron is ONE of a HANDFUL of great players (despite what the media and Madison Avenue wants you to think) and I have seen nothing so far that guarantees to me that he belongs in the Michael-Magic-Larry-Wilt (etc.) pantheon. Perhaps he will be one day, but I haven't seen it yet.)
jrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Don't get overexcited about LeBron's 29, 8, and 8

Quote:
First, in '88 - '89, Jordan averaged 33, 8, and 8, and something like seven triple-doubles in a row and 13 out of 14. (yeah, that Jordan guy was a phenomenal passer-- someone forgot to tell the sports media of his day though).

Actually what happened was similar to when a reporter questioned Shaqs defense and he had a 24 point, 28 rebound, 15 block game the next night.

Jordan heard some **** about how he was mostly a scorer and not as well rounded as Magic and Bird. The triple doubles in a row were the result of him stat padding just to get them. Not a knock on him. Have to be crazy talented to just decide to get triple doubles. But he was staying back and calling for rebounds teammates had. Forcing passes late in game and demanding teammates shoot it to get his assist. Keeping up with his own numbers to correct the stats guys. He statpadded his way to those numbers and it was clear as day. Several of them were like 30/10/10 because he got it in the last moments just for the sake of the numbers.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 11-18-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

we're not overexcited... he puts up those kind of numbers every game...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Actually what happened was similar to when a reporter questioned Shaqs defense and he had a 24 point, 28 rebound, 15 block game the next night..

wasnt that in his 2nd or 3rd year as well? amazing. young Shaq always terrorized NJ. i'll never forget how he made the basket collapse......on national TV. you know NBC was pissed. :
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

You do realize just a couple years ago LeBron averaged 31, 7 and 7 for the entire season, these numbers are not out of the ordinary for him.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
What an understatement. LeBron is a mortal lock for top 5 all-time. He will likely go down as the 2nd greatest player to ever play this game, but definitely top 5 at worst.
That's some top notch ish you're smoking over there.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
SpLiTViZiOnZ
Decent playground baller

SpLiTViZiOnZ has an OK reputation so far

did you even think before you created this utterly moronic thread. The dude has already averaged damn near the same numbers before. You think it's impossible for him to improve on those numbers by 1 rebound and 1 assist? Come on man... think.
SpLiTViZiOnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
wasnt that in his 2nd or 3rd year as well? amazing. young Shaq always terrorized NJ. i'll never forget how he made the basket collapse......on national TV. you know NBC was pissed. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6G8t6zsyI
That was payback for derrick coleman, after he got a rare posterization on shaq.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrong
(Note: before homers call me a *****, I'll out myself: I am one. Now, I'm not the kind of ***** who says LeBron is garbage. Obviously, he is one of the very best players in the world and will certainly be one of the 50 best ever. What makes me a ***** (apparently) is that I believe LeBron is ONE of a HANDFUL of great players (despite what the media and Madison Avenue wants you to think) and I have seen nothing so far that guarantees to me that he belongs in the Michael-Magic-Larry-Wilt (etc.) pantheon. Perhaps he will be one day, but I haven't seen it yet.)

Before reading this, I was honestly gonna say Stop hatin' on LeBron. But by no means am I a LeBron homer, I just have him on my fantasy team. I miss the days when LeBron used to score less, and pass more though. I'd prefer a 25-11-8 kind of player to a 30-8-8 player. But hey, I'm not complaining.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
jrong
Revolution untelevised

jrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpLiTViZiOnZ
did you even think before you created this utterly moronic thread. The dude has already averaged damn near the same numbers before. You think it's impossible for him to improve on those numbers by 1 rebound and 1 assist? Come on man... think.

I see the welcome party is out. How about you engage my ideas and find out where I'm coming from before you write off my thread as moronic. I know LeBron averaged 31, 7, and 7, and that was a tremendous effort. And what I thought then is what I thought now-- he maxed out his stats at age 21. Of course, he's physically capable of higher numbers, but within the team concept, he topped out. Think about how much a player has to dominate the ball to score that much and get that many assists at the same time, over the course of an entire year. You can have indidvidual games where you put up triple double lines, but to maintain that kind of average means you are seriously monopolizing the basketball. The Cavs know they're not going to win championships running 1 - 4 sets all the time.

Last edited by jrong : 11-18-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
jrong
Revolution untelevised

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
Anyone who understands the game of basketball would know that LeBron is a lock to go down as top 5 all-time.

And this why I started disliking him and continue to do so more and more. He can't just be great. He has to be (way prematurely) ANOINTED.

Look at your top five. There's a lot of championships on that list. And you're ready to place James among them when there's no guarantee that he'll even get one. Unless the Cavs make some moves, they are definitley not in a position to win one in the next few years in the much-improved East. And if he goes somewhere else-- well, many players change cities to pursue rings but never obtain one their entire career.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I don't get this thread. who is excited? seems you're just making it up. I haven't heard anything about Lebron this season. he's putting up ordinary Lebron numbers, as far as I can tell. there's nothing surprising here.

as for top 5 all time, I'm not sure. he's capable. but he's got some polishing to do. I can't see him not being top 10 though.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrong
Think about how much a player has to dominate the ball to score that much and get that many assists at the same time, over the course of an entire year. You can have indidvidual games where you put up triple double lines, but to maintain that kind of average means you are seriously monopolizing the basketball. The Cavs know they're not going to win championships running 1 - 4 sets all the time.

that's something most people either overlook or just don't pick up on... once he gets a better supporting cast, look for those numbers to go down

that's when we'll see lebron's true character. knowing him though, he won't complain or whine about it
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god

that's something most people either overlook or just don't pick up on... once he gets a better supporting cast, look for those numbers to go down

that's when we'll see lebron's true character. knowing him though, he won't complain or whine about it

I would expect his scoring to go down and his assists and rebounds to go up.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
raid09
Local High School Star

raid09 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god

Scoring down, rebounds (he's already on one of the best rebounding teams in the league) and assists up? Not to mention more energy on defense? With a better team?

That'll be scary.
raid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: