Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation
Default Why aren't teams/franchises more upset over poor ft%?

When I started playing fantasy hoops last year, it was alarming to see the horrendous ft% across the league. It would be naive of me to think that teams aren't doing things to work on this, but why isn't it a bigger focus? I remember a few years back reading that teams had special rims installed at practice facilities that were smaller than regulation hoops, and they made their team practice free throws on them, but why isn't it a more pressing issue if it means scoring more points each night and putting yourself closer in more games?

It seems like, in a strictly business sense, that a team would be more demanding of better ft%, especially when it came to individual practice, proper coaching, correct form and technique, if it meant scoring an average of five points more per night at least. While I understand that it isn't an EASY fix, with all of the time and money devoted to scouting, offensive and defensive sets, and all the other things an organization does just to get a step ahead, I can't believe this wouldn't be one of them. I also know that there will always be people who can't shoot ft's well, but if these incredible athletes can learn to hit fadeaways, runners and 27 foot three pointers against the toughest defenders in the world, why can't they sink free throws?

Does it all just come down to a desire to be good at shooting them? Do you attribute the lack of this skill to the attitude of young players today (as in, I'd rather practice my dunks than practice ft's), or is it bigger than that? Like I said, I'm not trying to act naive, but it just seems like a simple way to score more without doing anything different during a game, like playing a more efficient game, getting the most points you can out of your team each night. Thoughts?
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why aren't teams/franchises more upset over poor ft%?

it will get better during the season. it's almost always low during the first weeks
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Hardtop Hero has an OK reputation so far

It really should be unacceptable.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

I've always seen low team ft% as sign of bad coaching.
It generally means they are not staying focused, and practicing poorly.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

I've never really understood it myself. You'd think it would be more of a concern to coaches and the players themselves. It seems that freethrows are often practiced while players are calm and cool... I think players should simulate in-game situations... Run a couple of laps, and then step up to shoot 20 freethows. Yes, you can work on your stroke all day, but you need to train your arms to control the shot when you're breathless and your arms and legs are tired.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
gabeh1018
Good High School Starter

gabeh1018 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
I've never really understood it myself. You'd think it would be more of a concern to coaches and the players themselves. It seems that freethrows are often practiced while players are calm and cool... I think players should simulate in-game situations... Run a couple of laps, and then step up to shoot 20 freethows. Yes, you can work on your stroke all day, but you need to train your arms to control the shot when you're breathless and your arms and legs are tired.

good post..

this is a great thread.. i always wondered this myself... ive never played basketball in high school or college, just grammer school days and i play pick up games now, and usually i can go 27-30 on a consistent basis maybe dropping to 25-30.

being a good free-throw shooter doesnt make you a good basketball player, but free throws are so mechanic and fundamental..... you go through the motions, if someone worked on this for like 2 months you could get them to go 9-10 on a consistent basis.. i proved this to myself with the most unathletic individuals i know who dont care for sports..

i know during a game, fatigue, pressure, and such sets in... but a lot of the percentages in the NBA are around 60%, thats pretty fu cking awful considering i know girls in 8th grade that can go 10-10 whenever they feel like it
gabeh1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeh1018
good post..

i know during a game, fatigue, pressure, and such sets in... but a lot of the percentages in the NBA are around 60%, thats pretty fu cking awful considering i know girls in 8th grade that can go 10-10 whenever they feel like it

Dude, maybe you shouldn't hang out with 8th grade girls. People will talk.....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
clayton
Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

clayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat cool

Lol, I don't know who is training Shaq in freethrows, but he needed serious help on it. How can a guy miss soooo much. Where's the pro. trainer? Or is Shaq ignoring them from day 1.

I say teams should focus on helping players develop their freethrows (forms) just like the Mavericks do. They even have their own personal freethrow trainer. And best of all, they listen to him!
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
I think players should simulate in-game situations... Run a couple of laps, and then step up to shoot 20 freethows.

I'm pretty sure most teams do that. It's a bit different in real life pressure situations, more mental than physical I think.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: