Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

Default 2008 Mock Draft

I figured I would at least try to get some talk about the upcoming college and pro seasons. Every day I will try to post a new selection so you can debate how bad these pros teams will be and what they actually need to draft, and also how good these college players will be and how high they will go in the draft.

1. Sacramento-Nicolas Batum-SF-France-This team needs the best player in the draft, and Batum is this years Oden/Durant/LeBron. Ron Artest is not the long term answer for them, and Francisco Garcia and Quincy Douby have given you no reason to pass up Batum for the inside guy in Michael Beasley. This team does have some pieces if they do get the #1 pick as Mike Bibby will probably want out of this situation, and Artest may be gone in the near future. Both would bring some value in a trade. If you can add some more young players to go with Hawes, Martin, and Batum, you have a decent future.

Other possible picks: Michael Beasley to replace Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Kenny Thomas and give them that nasty Amare/Howard type of player
O.J. Mayo as Mike Bibby might be gone by the time this draft rolls around
Derrick Rose for the same reason they would give Mayo a look

Recap of my picks so far:
1. Kings-Nicolas Batum
2. 76ers-Derrick Rose
3. Sonics-O.J. Mayo
4. Pacers-Michael Beasley
5. Clippers-DeAndre Jordan
6. Timberwolves-Kosta Koufos
7. Bobcats-Darrell Arthur
8. Trailblazers-Chase Budinger
9. Suns-Serge Ibaka
10. Bucks-Donte Greene
11. Grizzlies-Roy Hibbert
12. Knicks-Eric Gordon
13. Hornets-Brook Lopez
14. Magic-Darren Collison

Last edited by monthh : 10-23-2007 at 03:26 AM.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
clipps
Good college starter

Default Re: 2008 Mock Draft

1- Sacramento Kings: Derrick Rose
2- Los Angeles Clippers: OJ Mayo
3- Portland Trailblazers: Mike Beasley
4- Seattle Sonics: Roy Hibbert
5- Indiana Pacers: Nic Batum
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Batum is the most talented in my opinion. He reminds me of a smaller Lamar Odom or a bigger T-Mac. He has all the tools to be a 20 point scorer and run the offense as a point forward. Roy Hibbert will be good too. Spending 4 years at college really helps a center..look at Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning and Tim Duncan. He is 7'2", skilled an dhas good fundamentals so he could suprise some people. Derrick Rose also looks like a good player.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

I really like Batum, so I would loved to see him in a pacers uniform.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
clipps
Good college starter

Chase Budinger is also gunna be a good player. He's athletic, had a decent jumpshot, good rebounder, high basketball IQ, he's has great work ethic. Hwe can be an all-purpose 2 guard for an NBA team. I think Budinger can average a solid 24 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists in his prime
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

Not too much going on early in the draft, but I can tell this may bring some debate as it goes on. Anyone disagree that the Kings should take Batum? What about Philly taking Rose?

2. Philadelphia-Derrick Rose-PG-Memphis-This team has built a young nucleus of athletes, and Rose will fit in perfectly. This is a tough pick because this team does have Andre Miller and is grooming Louis Williams, but neither have close to the upside that Rose will bring to this team. He is a natural passer and will be able to run the fast paced offense they will want with recent draft picks Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Rodney Carney, and Jason Smith.

Other possible picks: Michael Beasley would be able to run up and down like they would want, and would give them a big man to go with all the wing players they have
O.J. Mayo would be a lot like Rose with a better jump shot, but without the athleticism or potential leadership abilities
Old 10-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
monthh
Local High School Star

3. Seattle-O.J. Mayo-PG/SG-USC-While they have added some great pieces this offseason, they are still young and will struggle this season. Mayo is the type of potential great backcourt scorer that this team needs. Kevin Durrant and Jeff Green, along with the seemingly endless amount of raw big men they have drafted, are enough in the front court to pick from to be the core frontcourt for the team. Their backcourt is getting older and lacks that big time star they lost in Ray Allen. Mayo seems like a safe pick because if they do decide someone else is a better leader, Mayo can play off the ball.

Other possible picks: Michael Beasley may be a better prospect than Mayo, but really would be somewhat repetitive with Durant, Green, and Chris Wilcox already in place
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
marny_navis
Banned

Great idea for a thread. I don't really like the idea of Sacramento picking #1, although they do have alot of holes. My draft order right now is somewhere around here:
  1. Minnesota
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Seattle
  4. Indiana
  5. Orlando (kinda high, debating alot with myself about them)
I have Derrick Rose going to Minnesota, and I think O.J. Mayo will go to Philly and help them forget that they traded A.I. At 3, the Sonics make a reach and take Roy Hibbert, at 4 Indiana gets Nic Batum, and Mike Beasley (surprisingly) falls to Orlando to play PF alongside Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #9
monthh
Local High School Star

I found some random site that had the Kings ranked last in the league, and with the way the lottery works, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a team like the Kings drafting first.

With your order I could see things going that way except Hibbert going so high. I guess I am just not as high on him as everyone else. I really like the idea of Rose in Minny, Mayo in Philly, and Beasley with the Magic. Orlando's frontcourt would be awsome. I don't think Batum would be a great fit with the Pacers, but he is still a great pick and would be huge in their rebuilding effort. Speaking of the Pacers...

4. Indiana-Michael Beasley-PF/SF-Kansas State-Like the teams in front of them, this team would love to add a young PG, but with this pick they get an exciting beast to possibly replace Jermaine OíNeal if they follow through with the rumors and move him at some point before the draft. If they donít move him, they combine for a nice frontcourt with Danny Granger. They already have a few decent forwards in place, but none look to have the potential that Beasley has.

Other possible picks: Kosta Koufos gets a look, but this is a four player draft
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I found some random site that had the Kings ranked last in the league, and with the way the lottery works, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a team like the Kings drafting first.

With your order I could see things going that way except Hibbert going so high. I guess I am just not as high on him as everyone else. I really like the idea of Rose in Minny, Mayo in Philly, and Beasley with the Magic. Orlando's frontcourt would be awsome. I don't think Batum would be a great fit with the Pacers, but he is still a great pick and would be huge in their rebuilding effort. Speaking of the Pacers...

4. Indiana-Michael Beasley-PF/SF-Kansas State-Like the teams in front of them, this team would love to add a young PG, but with this pick they get an exciting beast to possibly replace Jermaine O’Neal if they follow through with the rumors and move him at some point before the draft. If they don’t move him, they combine for a nice frontcourt with Danny Granger. They already have a few decent forwards in place, but none look to have the potential that Beasley has.

Other possible picks: Kosta Koufos gets a look, but this is a four player draft

Yes I am a little high on Hibbert. I thought if he stayed in the draft, he would be a good pick at 5, so I am very high on the kid. However, I do realize he's not Tim Duncan, and he may become a terrible bust. I feel he'll go around 5-10 this year. I just couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if Seattle had a solid center to go alongside former teammate Jeff Green. The pick's not too realistic. My number two option was Beasley, but I don't think he'd be able to deal with KD on his team taking some of his shots away.

Nice pick with Beasley going to Indiana. He would be able to be the man there, and Granger would be a great sidekick. I'm very high on Beasley but I hate his temper.

Keep posting your picks I enjoy reading them when I get home from school.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

There're already plenty of threads discussing about the 2008 rookies.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
marny_navis
Banned

Yes but it's nice to have a continual one in which I can see a different pick each day. Besides, there aren't many 2008 Mock Drafts here.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
marny_navis
Banned

Since there hasn't been a pick for a couple of days, I figured I would come out with my little lottery. It's still early in the season, so don't judge my rankings/picks too harshly. Also, note that some of my picks have changed, most notable the Seattle Roy Hibbert pick.

1. Minnesota Timberwolves- Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis Fr.

2. Philadelphia 76ers- O.J. Mayo, SG/PG, USC Fr.

3. Seattle Supersonics- Eric Gordon, SG/PG, Indiana Fr.

4. Indiana Pacers- Michael Beasley, SF/PF, Kansas State Fr.

5. Phoenix Suns (ATL)- Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas So.

6. Orlando Magic- Nicolas Batum, SG/SF, France 1988

7. Los Angeles Clippers- Chase Budinger, SG/SF, Arizona So.

8. Sacramento Kings- Darren Collison, PG, UCLA Jr.

9. New York Knicks- Jerryd Bayless, PG, Michigan State Fr. Hard pick for me, they have so many players at each position, and it's hard for me to figure what they're going after. I decided to go point guard here, but don't come down on me too hard on this one.

10. Portland Trail Blazers- Donte Greene, SF, Syracuse Fr.

11. New Orleans Hornets- DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M Fr.

12. Charlotte Bobcats- Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown Sr.

13. Milwaukee Bucks- Joshua Carter, SG/SF, Texas A&M Jr. Again, another tough one seeing as I don't know what positions Yi and Charlie will play. I decided to put in a swingman that could come off the bench and convert for three on Bogut kickouts. This kid probably won't be lottery material, so don't hold me to this one.

14. Memphis Grizzlies- Kosta Koufos, C, Ohio State Fr.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
monthh
Local High School Star

Very nice picks on that draft. I like Arthur going to Phoenix. That would be a great pick. Batum with Orlando would be really nice too. Batum, Lewis, and Howard is a nice frontcourt. I just don't see Atlanta being that bad with some of their guys coming up on contract years.

I agree with your Knicks pick. That is a team that will have to make some changes if they are not doing well by the trading deadline which will make their holes more clear.

Like the Hibbert pick I'm not too high on Gordon either, but Seattle will need some backcourt help with Allen gone so that would be a high reward/risk pick to make. My next pick is a similar kind of pick with a freshman going higher than expected.

5. Los Angeles Clippers-DeAndre Jordan-C-Texas A&M-This team really could use help at any postion. Elton Brand is a star, but is getting older, and will start to get anxious to win soon. Corey Maggette has never taken his game to the next level and Chris Kaman is a decent center at best. The backcourt of Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley has done better than most expected a few years ago, but both are in the twilight of their careers. Jordan may not be the best player available, but his size, potential, and athletic ability make him a good pick.

Other possible picks: Darrell Arthur could help replace Brand, but doesnít have the huge reward Jordan brings
Chase Budinger gets a look to help add some youth to the wing, but it is easier to add an athletic swingman that it is to add a good center
Kosta Koufos is similar to Jordan, but reminds them too much of Kaman
Roy Hibbert also gets a long look if they want to keep the veteran core together, with a healthy Brand, for one last run, but in the end they need to look more toward the future
Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
marny_navis
Banned

I also deliberated whether or not I should put Jordan there as well. What made me make my decision was also similar; they don't stand much of a chance at winning now, so it's better to just start shaping your team a couple years earlier than would be if you went aiming for one last run. I chose Budinger because I like his ballhandling and shooting ability, and I definitely think he won't be Adam Morrison. In the NBA I see him as a better defender with a bit more muscle. I think he will do very well this year and Arizona will surprise, esp. w/ Freshman Jarryd Bayless who I think could end up being a lottery pick this year. What made me pick him over Jordan was, although Chris Kaman is "decent", he provides energy and defensive ability and the Clippers can get three (maybe four if Livingston comes back and does well [that's one huge backcourt with 6'7" Livingston and 6'7" Budinger]) starters, they can get rid of their pieces such as Corey Maggette next offseason, maybe even Brand if it comes to that, and get a top pick in 2009 and get someone like Greg Monroe or whoever is a must-get PF by then.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: