Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 11-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Last night's game

I was just looking at the box score from last night's game and I noticed that 5 guys all had atleast 17 points, they were; Navarro - 28, Gay - 27, Pau - 21, Miller - 17 and Lowry - 17. Maybe this is the line up we should go with, get rid of Stoudamire (too old and he sucks now) and replace him with Lowry. What a line up that would be, then you've got Warrick, Swift, Kinsey, Jacobsen and Darko & Conley when they return. Nice.

By the way, this was Navarro's second 28 point game and he's only a rookie and we're only 13 games into the season. ROY candidate!
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Last night's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
I was just looking at the box score from last night's game and I noticed that 5 guys all had atleast 17 points, they were; Navarro - 28, Gay - 27, Pau - 21, Miller - 17 and Lowry - 17. Maybe this is the line up we should go with, get rid of Stoudamire (too old and he sucks now) and replace him with Lowry. What a line up that would be, then you've got Warrick, Swift, Kinsey, Jacobsen and Darko & Conley when they return. Nice.

By the way, this was Navarro's second 28 point game and he's only a rookie and we're only 13 games into the season. ROY candidate!

I think it is clear Lowry should start. For the others, I would be more comfortable having Darko in the lineup. He gives the strengh needed inside, neither Pau nor Rudy do that. However, I really see those five playing together a lot of minutes. Many times the team will have to go small and this is the way, having the two gunners in and Gay playing the PF. I think Gay could struggle in defense with many of the PF in the league, but his speed should help both in defense and mainly offense. He can open a lot of space for the big man (Pau, Darko). But still the Grizz have a big problem in defense and this lineup is extremely soft in this area.

Navarro could be only a rookie for the NBA, but he is probably one of the most experienced players in the Grizzlies. ROY candidate? Could be, but he is still showing some inconsistency, alternating fantastic games as yesterday with some very low scoring days. Give him a month and then we will see if he can be ROY.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wasn't really considering Navarro for ROY, that was just a little sarcasm on my behalf. Anyway, I agree that, that line up would be pretty soft, but I guess I was looking from Coach I's perspective on the basis of a run and gun team. If Coach I still wants to do the run and gun style offense then this should be the line up. But, if he wants to get the team to actually play defense and play in the half court then he should be having guys like Darko, Pau and Swift playing the 4 and 5.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
I think it is clear Lowry should start. For the others, I would be more comfortable having Darko in the lineup. He gives the strengh needed inside, neither Pau nor Rudy do that. However, I really see those five playing together a lot of minutes. Many times the team will have to go small and this is the way, having the two gunners in and Gay playing the PF. I think Gay could struggle in defense with many of the PF in the league, but his speed should help both in defense and mainly offense. He can open a lot of space for the big man (Pau, Darko). But still the Grizz have a big problem in defense and this lineup is extremely soft in this area.

Navarro could be only a rookie for the NBA, but he is probably one of the most experienced players in the Grizzlies. ROY candidate? Could be, but he is still showing some inconsistency, alternating fantastic games as yesterday with some very low scoring days. Give him a month and then we will see if he can be ROY.
I did consider Navarro as ROY candidate when he joined the league as he is very experienced and a great player,however for him to be a candidate he has to play more minutes,when he has played 30+mins he has been consistently good.I think they will trade Gasol and I don't know if Navarro will stay as he is a free agent at the end of the season .
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
I did consider Navarro as ROY candidate when he joined the league as he is very experienced and a great player,however for him to be a candidate he has to play more minutes,when he has played 30+mins he has been consistently good.I think they will trade Gasol and I don't know if Navarro will stay as he is a free agent at the end of the season .

I would wait a couple of months before consider him a true candidate, but he surely will end up in the top 5 if given enough minutes. Getting 30+ minutes regularly will be difficult having Miller there (although I think JC is better, Miller contributes in more game areas than Navarro IMO) unless the team goes really small most of the time, as said above by Kebab.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
berraco
Darko The Ripper

ESPN rookie rankings put JC in front this week.

Rookie rankings

I still have my doubts about the playing time Navarro will get when Darko will be back, but it is pretty clear he deserves the 30+ mins per game.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Seems like Navarro being the ROY isn't as far-fetched as I thought.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Seems like Navarro being the ROY isn't as far-fetched as I thought.
Of coz it wasn't and isn't far fetched, you are talking about one of the best players outside the NBA going into the league and compete against some young guys who have only just started.Yeah Durrant is good,but nowhere near as experienced.lets face it they aren't really rookies,guys like Navarro and Scola.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Nice game, tough loss against Portland. Great play by Rudy on the clutch. Will never understand why Memphis didn't use their last foul to eat the clock.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Wow, all though we lost, Gay, Miller and Pau had pretty damn good games. Though if the cost of these guys getting good statlines is losing, then I'd much rather win the games and have them get crap statlines.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
artificial

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Last night against Houston I don't get why Iavaroni insisted to put Lowry on Bonzi. The way Bonzi was abusing Kyle should be illegal, and Lowry wasn't contributing enough on the other side to balance that.

Players looked lost on the court. Offense seemed improvised, and on defense Pau and Miller looked to be the only ones trying hard (and Miller's defense isn't too good, so go figure out). Injuries to both players who can play C (Donnie and Stro) hurt a lot.

The way the Grizzlies are playing doesn't benefits Pau at all (I know he got good stats last night, but still). I know Iavaroni wants to run, but he should come up with a scheme that uses more Pau's habilities when forced to be in a half-court set, just in case they can't run -which happened a lot last night, ending up in randomly shot 3pters-.

Last edited by artificial : 12-06-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Ivaroni should drop the run and gun, it's not working for us. Play basketball how it should be played and use a half court offense and only break if it's on.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
artificial

On tonight's game against Sacramento. Frustrating to watch towards the end.

Miller is a key player on offense, and tries hard on defense, but he can't defend to save his life. Salmons abused him all night.

Iavaroni is retarded. On a play towards the end, where it was clear that Sacramento would foul, he decided to put the ball in Conley's hands. That seemed like the plan, and even if Conley ended up with the ball because of the defense and not by scheme, why the devil Miller -a 82% FT shooter- was the one putting the ball in? Conley followed to miss a FT that would have given the Grizz a two possession advantage. I don't blame Conley, he's a rook. I blame Iavaroni.

The Grizz had this game in the pocket. Not to take anything from Sacramento, who hit huge clutch shots. But still, if Memphis had hit those FT's or didn't turn the ball over in the crunch, those clutch shots would not have been enough.

Memphis really needs a defensive perimeter player to put in when Miller is getting owned.

Last edited by artificial : 01-11-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Memphis really needs a defensive perimeter player to put in when Miller is getting owned.

Maybe Tarence Kinsey could fit. Oh, wait, they have just waived him
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Wow the grzz got screwed by the refs vs the lakers.There was no foul on Kwame.Then lowry gets hammered and gets no call.Its bad enough the grzz have to play there best to win every game.But when the refs join the other team its impossible.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: