Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,816
Default Debunking the Nutrition Industry

I've been working for GNC for 6 years now and have gained quite a bit of knowledge about this industry. Along wiht getting certified as a nutritionist, I've worked with the brand manager to develop new products and have intimate relations with many of the sports nutrition companies out there. I've hung out and done business with the makers of sports nutrtion companies like Xyience, BSN, Muscletech, PVL, Bio-X.....So I know personally how this stuff is made and the quality of their product.

My position with this company right now is as a district manager. Although I'm in chanrge of a cluster of stores, I still work on the retail level, so I'm in a store working on the sales floor from time to time. I love my job but what irks me is some of the ignoramouses that come into the store and make some of the most absurd comments I've ever heard. Then they automatically discredit me for reasons such as I'm a store worker and I'm not as big as them. Their egos get so big because they've amassed all their knowledge from a magazine or sites like bodybuilding.com. These so called "Magazine Graduates" don't know half of what the stuff they put in their bodies come from and how they really differ from other products out there. Even discrediting the GNC name brand cause they don't see it in the magazines .
I'm about to debunk all those theories and comments that the "Magazine graduates" believe so dearly and are literally fooled into their train of thought.


1. This protein works better than that protein

There is a particual variance that needs to be measured to make this claim. It all depends on what category of protien you're looking at. There's weight gainers, meal replacements, and just straight protien. But if you're comparing a product that is is the same category guess what, you are taking the exact same protein! There is only a couple of companies that actually make the raw material for protein. They do the filtering and sell it in bulk form. 95% of nutrition companies buy the raw material from the same company to put in their packaging. The only difference is what type of flavoring they use and the little bells and whistles they put in that really have little impact. So when somebody says, " I use Optimum Nutrition because that's the only one that works for me." Well that person doesn't realize that he's taking the exact same protien as every nutrition company on our shelves.

2. Product A really works, product B is bogus

I'll agree with some people that some may work a little better than others but the bottom line is that they all work. Take for example pre-workout powders. Products like Superpump 250, NO-Explode, Fast Twitch.... The reality of these products is that their ingredient profile's are very similar. But as the same reason for example A, the material they put in their products come from the same pharmecutical company. So if the ingredients say caffiene anhydrous, creatine such and such, tyrosine etc. etc. they all come from the same place! As a matter of fact one company may make two different guys products in the same factory. Not all nutrition companies have their own facility to make products, so they give their ingredient profile to a manufacterer and they make the products for them. So the same ingredients for two different companies may be coming out of the exact same container. Heck, we make some of the products for some of the largest Sports nutrition companies out there. I won't reveal which one, but be carful which products you knock.

3. I get my info from a magazine or a website
Magazine articles are great at pumping us up, but they only reveal the half truth and ignorantly knock other companies products, even if the products are the exact same. Because of this i'm a firm believer that advertising is such a powerful tool in how we go out and get things for ourselves. With these chumps that come into the store and regurgitate everything they read in the magazines I just roll my eyes and say, "lemme guess, FLEX?" I tell them usually that these aren't real articles, only self promoting advertisments. Don't believe everything you read in a magazine because the magazine has to get their funding somewhere. These are the same people that pollute bodybuilding message boards. They are so programed that they knock other brands in favor of their own not realize the facts of what I've stated about point 1 and 2.

Everything in this industry works, but know this, supplements don't do the work for you, diet and exercise is your foundation. Supplements only help accelerate the results. Also supplements only work if you use them consitantly for a prolonged period of time. Hope this helps you guys that work out and have a tough time finding product to use.

edit: spelling

Last edited by hateraid : 11-25-2007 at 10:07 PM.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Hawker
Banned
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,940
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Seems like some useful information. I dont really have time to work out but maybe next summer. Of course I said that this summer too. Working out can be addicting but once other things start filling up your time, its hard to get back into it.

Just thought I would comment since you wrote a long post and nobody else commented.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
PK3434
Good Golly!
 
PK3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,628
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Thanks for the post....bodybuilders and people in gyms in general love to give out advise, when most of the time, they really don't know what they are talking about. Just because you weigh 250 and I weigh 170 doesn't mean you have more expertise than me....maybe I just don't want to be that big...
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 29,178
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

wow cool info..ok a question... i want to maintain my stamina levels but i don't try and build muscle or "bulk up" as they say, i cant's afford to get any bigger. i do lots of reps with lighter weight, plus running..what nutritional supplement would i use that would help stamina training but not actually bulking up?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,816
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
wow cool info..ok a question... i want to maintain my stamina levels but i don't try and build muscle or "bulk up" as they say, i cant's afford to get any bigger. i do lots of reps with lighter weight, plus running..what nutritional supplement would i use that would help stamina training but not actually bulking up?


Go with something that will hypersaturate your muscles and maintain blood glucose levels. Look for products that have glycerine in them (same thing they use in IV drips for people that are severely dehydrated). There's a product called Evolution by Star Chem Labs that really helps and it gives your muscles some BCAA's to prevent muscle breakdown. Otherwise I'd suggest Cytomax by Cytosport for something basic and designed for endurance purposes.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star
 
TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,818
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

I have a question.

I HATE eating vegetables, hate, hate, hate it. But I need them.

Is drinking a couple bottles of V8 a daya good substitute? Or is it pointless?
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 29,178
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I have a question.

I HATE eating vegetables, hate, hate, hate it. But I need them.

Is drinking a couple bottles of V8 a daya good substitute? Or is it pointless?
lol i hate v-8, makes me gag... but love vegetables..lol
thanks for the info hateraid..i'll look for the stuff at my local GNC!
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star
 
TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,818
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
lol i hate v-8, makes me gag... but love vegetables..lol
thanks for the info hateraid..i'll look for the stuff at my local GNC!

I hate V8 too. But I can plug my nose and chug one with the quickness. It's alot easier than forcing myself to eat and chew vegetables.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
thenextgreatbigman
Banned
 
thenextgreatbigman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

dat dere cell tech?
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #10
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,816
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I have a question.

I HATE eating vegetables, hate, hate, hate it. But I need them.

Is drinking a couple bottles of V8 a daya good substitute? Or is it pointless?


It is for the fact that you are addressing the lack of vegetables in your diet.
Not so good in the fact the alot of V8 is sodium and sugar. Plus the processing of the vegetables strips away lot's of the nutrients that are in whole foods. Your best bet is to start with a good multi as a base of nutrition. This will at least fill the nutritional gaps from you lack of veggies. Something that is in supplemental form that can be a better replacement is Acai berry powder by Sambazon. Throw it in some juice and it covers 6 servings of fruits in one tablespoon.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

NOX-CG3>>>NO-Xplode

REFUTE ME NOW!
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
artificial
:-P
 
artificial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: alone with everyone
Posts: 4,471
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Great information. And it's pretty useful for me. Probably would've gone with the info on mags had I not read this.

Got a couple of questions, good hateraid: I'm trying to get a little in shape (bulk up a little to be honest, I'm a little skinny) but do not wanted to put too much time in it. So I got a 1 hour exercise routine with dumbbells, every day. Now I don't know sht about diets, but I try to eat vegetables and meat every day. As for fruits I only get bananas, and that's to ease muscle pain. I was advised to get tuna cans for protein supply, so I eat one after my routine.

Now the questions:
1. Is the tuna doing any good?
2. If I was to buy anything at a GNC store, in my situation, what would it be? Protein supplies? Vitamins?

And just another question: did you just misspelled protein, or there's actually something called protien that I don't know about?

Last edited by artificial : 11-25-2007 at 08:44 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,816
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Great information. And it's pretty useful for me. Probably would've gone with the info on mags had I not read this.

Got a couple of questions, good hateraid: I'm trying to get a little in shape (bulk up a little to be honest, I'm a little skinny) but do not wanted to put too much time in it. So I got a 1 hour exercise routine with dumbbells, every day. Now I don't know sht about diets, but I try to eat vegetables and meat every day. As for fruits I only get bananas, and that's to ease muscle pain. I was advised to get tuna cans for protein supply, so I eat one after my routine.

Now the questions:
1. Is the tuna doing any good?
2. If I was to buy anything at a GNC store, in my situation, what would it be? Protein supplies? Vitamins?

And just another question: did you just misspelled protein, or there's actually something called protien that I don't know about?

Lol, I can't believe I misspelled that. I always have a problem with I's and E's. Just like I always misspell Micheal Jordan. I'll get on it and fix that pronto.

1. Any form of protein is good for post workout. Problem with daily consumption of tuna though is that it puts you at risk of mercury poisoning. Plus most cans of tuna only contain 14 grams of protein in it. Supplemental form protein is alot more efficient due to the fact that it's already filtered so your body will proccess it much quicker. If you think about it, training actually tears down muscle, so your best bet is to use a protein that can reach the muscle system at a faster rate to prevent further catabolism. Reccommended intake of protein is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight daily.

2. Protein and multis are the foundation of any results. Kinda like if muscle building was equivelant to building a house, they'd be like the bricks (protein) and the foundation (multis). Look for a protein that's higher in carbs if you're looking to increase muscle volume. Carbs are required to increase muscle volume and replenish glycogen levels.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,816
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
NOX-CG3>>>NO-Xplode

REFUTE ME NOW!


To tell you the truth I agree with you. But as a preworkout supplement NO-Xplode gets immediate impact. What people don't know is that the product has alot of stimulants which constrict blood vessels. The end result is that your bodies nitric oxide levels are lower than what your body started out with.

NOX-CG3 is a technically better product to get ATP levels up, problem is that people are in the mindset that they want the product to work now.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
artificial
:-P
 
artificial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: alone with everyone
Posts: 4,471
Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Lol, I can't believe I misspelled that. I always have a problem with I's and E's. Just like I always misspell Micheal Jordan. I'll get on it and fix that pronto.

1. Any form of protein is good for post workout. Problem with daily consumption of tuna though is that it puts you at risk of mercury poisoning. Plus most cans of tuna only contain 14 grams of protein in it. Supplemental form protein is alot more efficient due to the fact that it's already filtered so your body will proccess it much quicker. If you think about it, training actually tears down muscle, so your best bet is to use a protein that can reach the muscle system at a faster rate to prevent further catabolism. Reccommended intake of protein is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight daily.

2. Protein and multis are the foundation of any results. Kinda like if muscle building was equivelant to building a house, they'd be like the bricks (protein) and the foundation (multis). Look for a protein that's higher in carbs if you're looking to increase muscle volume. Carbs are required to increase muscle volume and replenish glycogen levels.
Thanks a lot hateraid. I honestly appreciate it, because otherwise I don't know anyone with knowledge on this stuff, and might have ended with a magazine and from there buying an unfairly expensive product.

Might add english isn't my 1st nor 2nd language. Therefore my question about the protiens, and just to be sure: when you say "multis" you are talking about multivitamins, right? And on multivitamins, any specific product recommended? Or is it the same case that you described with proteins, where there is no big difference?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy