Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #31
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Default Re: Debunking the Nutrition Industry

Addicting is a word as well, and Hawker used it properly.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #32
aycaramba
I airball my layups

Most supplements are overrated. Do steroids,(I'm not joking) they're cheaper in the long run.
aycaramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #33
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
i'm a brokeazz college student who hasn't had a protein shake in years but is bustin azz in the gym three times a week and playin ball on offdadys how can u help by givin me the chpeaest deals on sum whey

1 gram of protein = 4 calories, no matter what the source is. having said that, go to the grocery store and find what's cheapest. IE) Eggs, ground beef.....
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
1 gram of protein = 4 calories, no matter what the source is. having said that, go to the grocery store and find what's cheapest. IE) Eggs, ground beef.....

I'm trying to get rid of my dependence on milk for various reasons. What are other sufficient sourcse of natural calcium?

My arms are only 14" despite being able to properly curl 50's easily and 125 barbell twice. My mom has very skinny arms and I have a feeling it's due to genetics. What are good exercises for max hypertrophy.

My vert is sorely lacking. As a 5'7" 14 year old I was able to dunk tennis balls with one step, and volleyballs. What deadlift/squats do you rcommend, and would creatine assist in my endeavors?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #35
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
I'm trying to get rid of my dependence on milk for various reasons. What are other sufficient sourcse of natural calcium?

My arms are only 14" despite being able to properly curl 50's easily and 125 barbell twice. My mom has very skinny arms and I have a feeling it's due to genetics. What are good exercises for max hypertrophy.

My vert is sorely lacking. As a 5'7" 14 year old I was able to dunk tennis balls with one step, and volleyballs. What deadlift/squats do you rcommend, and would creatine assist in my endeavors?

More calories to increase hypertrophy. Stretching ca induce hyperplasia.

Creatine + Calf raises, jump rope, Shoulder extensions, squats. Take HMB, and Chondroitin as well to help repair twitch muscle fibres.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #36
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
More calories to increase hypertrophy. Stretching ca induce hyperplasia.

Creatine + Calf raises, jump rope, Shoulder extensions, squats. Take HMB, and Chondroitin as well to help repair twitch muscle fibres.

Thanks Buddy. Now go out there and spend money and be happy

I ain't payin for dem weird scientific soundin thangs tho.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #37
Basketball Dirk
High school junior varsity star

When you choose a supplement, you should use a manufacturer with credentials.

Studies found out that only around 30% of all supplements actually meet their label claim. Meaning that when they claim there is 500 mg of calcium, there may in fact be less than that or A LOT less than that.

Imagine, supplement manufacturers order a lot of ingredients from other places. A LOT OF THE POWDERS ARE WHITE! Just imagine how realistic it is that they mix up powders by mistake and you may ingest something you didn't want to ingest.

That's why you should look for things like "manufactuered in an FDA registered drug facility, GMP certified by NSF or something like that.

I do not believe GNC has great quality supplement, honestly. Usually high quality supplements are more expensive because of quality control and the money spend on it. But in the long run you'll get more out of it.
Basketball Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

hateraid for the win. Nice thread
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #39
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball Dirk

I do not believe GNC has great quality supplement, honestly. Usually high quality supplements are more expensive because of quality control and the money spend on it. But in the long run you'll get more out of it.

For somebody who claims to do his research on the manufacterer you know very little about my company. Where did you get your info? Bodybuilding.com? Magazines? Internet? Guess what, they are bias opinions and paid advertising.
GNC is the largest manufacturing facility in NA. As far as quality, we do 150 quality checks to ensure we put out the best products. Down to label claims, containers, we even fully steralize all vats before making a different product. Others 15 quality checks tops. If you read my OP you'd know that the materials all come from the same place, so how does ones other product work better. We also make some of you "more expesive higher quality" products.

I've personally recieved test results from 3rd party testers to see what's in our labels. We exceed 100% potency in all ingredients.

The reason out product is cheaper is because you're not paying a middle man cost. We go direct were as other companies use a distributor.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #40
Hawker
Banned

If my internship happens to fall through, I'll be working out all summer and going to school. I'll actually do it this time.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #41
ElPigto
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
If my internship happens to fall through, I'll be working out all summer and going to school. I'll actually do it this time.

SH!T I just remembered that I don't have a job this summer .
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #42
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
SH!T I just remembered that I don't have a job this summer .

That sucks bro...I assume with a 3.0+ and job experience from last summer you could get one. It's been pretty hard to get a job.

Oil prices need to go back up and probably will this summer.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #43
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
I've been working for GNC for 6 years now and have gained quite a bit of knowledge about this industry. Along wiht getting certified as a nutritionist, I've worked with the brand manager to develop new products and have intimate relations with many of the sports nutrition companies out there. I've hung out and done business with the makers of sports nutrtion companies like Xyience, BSN, Muscletech, PVL, Bio-X.....So I know personally how this stuff is made and the quality of their product.

My position with this company right now is as a district manager. Although I'm in chanrge of a cluster of stores, I still work on the retail level, so I'm in a store working on the sales floor from time to time. I love my job but what irks me is some of the ignoramouses that come into the store and make some of the most absurd comments I've ever heard. Then they automatically discredit me for reasons such as I'm a store worker and I'm not as big as them. Their egos get so big because they've amassed all their knowledge from a magazine or sites like bodybuilding.com. These so called "Magazine Graduates" don't know half of what the stuff they put in their bodies come from and how they really differ from other products out there. Even discrediting the GNC name brand cause they don't see it in the magazines .
I'm about to debunk all those theories and comments that the "Magazine graduates" believe so dearly and are literally fooled into their train of thought.

1. This protein works better than that protein

There is a particual variance that needs to be measured to make this claim. It all depends on what category of protien you're looking at. There's weight gainers, meal replacements, and just straight protien. But if you're comparing a product that is is the same category guess what, you are taking the exact same protein! There is only a couple of companies that actually make the raw material for protein. They do the filtering and sell it in bulk form. 95% of nutrition companies buy the raw material from the same company to put in their packaging. The only difference is what type of flavoring they use and the little bells and whistles they put in that really have little impact. So when somebody says, " I use Optimum Nutrition because that's the only one that works for me." Well that person doesn't realize that he's taking the exact same protien as every nutrition company on our shelves.

2. Product A really works, product B is bogus

I'll agree with some people that some may work a little better than others but the bottom line is that they all work. Take for example pre-workout powders. Products like Superpump 250, NO-Explode, Fast Twitch.... The reality of these products is that their ingredient profile's are very similar. But as the same reason for example A, the material they put in their products come from the same pharmecutical company. So if the ingredients say caffiene anhydrous, creatine such and such, tyrosine etc. etc. they all come from the same place! As a matter of fact one company may make two different guys products in the same factory. Not all nutrition companies have their own facility to make products, so they give their ingredient profile to a manufacterer and they make the products for them. So the same ingredients for two different companies may be coming out of the exact same container. Heck, we make some of the products for some of the largest Sports nutrition companies out there. I won't reveal which one, but be carful which products you knock.

3. I get my info from a magazine or a website
Magazine articles are great at pumping us up, but they only reveal the half truth and ignorantly knock other companies products, even if the products are the exact same. Because of this i'm a firm believer that advertising is such a powerful tool in how we go out and get things for ourselves. With these chumps that come into the store and regurgitate everything they read in the magazines I just roll my eyes and say, "lemme guess, FLEX?" I tell them usually that these aren't real articles, only self promoting advertisments. Don't believe everything you read in a magazine because the magazine has to get their funding somewhere. These are the same people that pollute bodybuilding message boards. They are so programed that they knock other brands in favor of their own not realize the facts of what I've stated about point 1 and 2.

Everything in this industry works, but know this, supplements don't do the work for you, diet and exercise is your foundation. Supplements only help accelerate the results. Also supplements only work if you use them consitantly for a prolonged period of time. Hope this helps you guys that work out and have a tough time finding product to use.

edit: spelling

DING DING DING!

I'm a personal trainer and the amount of bogus **** that I have heard people put into their bodies is rediculous. I try and explain that all supplement companies are buisnesses and they compete in magazines etc to be considered the top dog. Truth is Clean eating of wholesome foods >>>>>>> any supplement out there! PERIOD!

I take vitamin C and zinc nothing else.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: