Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #16
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I believe that the #1 pick will definately be better then Samuel Dalembert, if we were to pick LaMarcus Aldridge, I would expect him to get better then the 7 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks that Dalembert currently gets while earning over 10 million dollars a year. And it's not the fact that our #1 pick won't earn that eventually, it's that his 10 million dollars basically costs us all of our cap space, so basically your saying Dalembert is worth the #1 pick plus another maximum contract free agent signing we could be getting which clearly he is not. Doing this, would take away all the positives we have right now and leave us with Samuel Dalembert.

After 3 years, Aldridge will still demand a contract as good as Dalembert's and when that happens, your cap space will be eaten up too. Dalembert is a sure thing, Aldridge?...We don't know. This is basically the same situation the Clippers were in when they traded for Elton Brand and gave Chicago the #2 pick. They were basically saying, give me the sure thing because I'm tired of this draft game. What are the chances either of this guys will be changing the face of the Raptor?...Not huge. We have enough offense, a solid defensive centre will be good for us.

Lots of yapping on my side but I just don't feel Aldridge can be any better than Dalembert. Dalembert is just as talented as the guy with some experience in the L already and he's definitely still improving. If Philly gave him more playing time, they would have made the playoffs.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
#1 + large FA signing(s) for Dalembert?

In theory, that is what we would be giving up by trading our #1 pick to Philidelphia Samuel Dalembert.

We would be left with about 5-6 million dollars in cap room and no first round pick. We would have sacrificed about 9-10 million dollars of our cap space in order to trade for Dalembert. So in theory, you are trading the #1 overall pick and you are trading basically what could have been a key signing at 9-10 million per year for Samuel Dalembert.

If this is hard to follow, I apologize, it makes sense in my head when I read it back to myself.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
After 3 years, Aldridge will still demand a contract as good as Dalembert's and when that happens, your cap space will be eaten up too. Dalembert is a sure thing, Aldridge?...We don't know. This is basically the same situation the Clippers were in when they traded for Elton Brand and gave Chicago the #2 pick. They were basically saying, give me the sure thing because I'm tired of this draft game. What are the chances either of this guys will be changing the face of the Raptor?...Not huge. We have enough offense, a solid defensive centre will be good for us.

Lots of yapping on my side but I just don't feel Aldridge can be any better than Dalembert. Dalembert is just as talented as the guy with some experience in the L already and he's definitely still improving. If Philly gave him more playing time, they would have made the playoffs.

You are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I'll try and use an example to make it more clear.

If we draft Aldridge, we still have about 15 million dollars in cap room, we then go and sign a star point guard. He signs for 10 million per year, then we sign another player at 5 million dollars per year and then three years goes buy and we sign Aldridge, the then all-star, to a maximum deal which puts us over the cap. We now have a lineup of:

Huge Contract Point Guard
Peterson
Villaneuva
Bosh
Aldridge

6th man: 5 million per year signing

Now if we trade for Dalembert, we eat away 10 million of that 15 million dollars in cap space, we can no longer sign that premiere point guard because we can only offer 5 million dollars, and now we don't even have a nice first round pick. We still are basically over the cap because 5 million dollars doesn't get us anything that the MLE can get teams whom are over the cap. Now our team looks like:

5 million per year point guard (in last scenario, was our 6th man)
Peterson
Villaneuva
Bosh
Dalembert

6th Man: Calderon

As you can hopefully see, the second team is significantly weaker because they chose to eat away at 2/3rds of 15 million in cap on a 7/8/2 center when they could have kept the #1 pick, got an equal talent and still signed a marquee talent to fill another need, in this case a point guard.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

I understand what you're saying...Dalembert+average point guard through FA will be a better option for me though than Aldridge+$10million PG. I don't trust any of these bigs anymore, alot of busts have come through the ranks and it's not even funny anymore.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #20
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
I understand what you're saying...Dalembert+average point guard through FA will be a better option for me though than Aldridge+$10million PG. I don't trust any of these bigs anymore, alot of busts have come through the ranks and it's not even funny anymore.

I guess it's a personal opinion, but for me I take LaMarcus Aldridge + $10,000,000 Point Guard + $5,000,000 Sixth Man over Samuel Dalembert and a $5,000,000 Point Guard any day of the week. It doesn't even seem like a decision to me, but you are entitled to your own opinion. I guess that kills the discussion, we each go our own way.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #21
lollol604
I airball my layups

lollol604 has an OK reputation so far

dalembert is like a tyson chandler, overated, overpaid and should be a bench player only
lollol604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #22
Unregistered

Toronto fans: I can accept your belief that Dalembert sucks, and that he's overpaid for what he brung last year. However a couple of facts. First, Dalembert, if any of you have watched any 76er games last year, and years past, would know that Cheeks used Dalembert alot of times outside of the paint in what was called a 3-2 switch. This was done because our other Big man, Webber is woefully slow and crippled, and unable to switch out. This was why Webber averaged over 10 rebounds a game cause he was constently under the basket, as where alot of times Dalembert was forced away from the hoop in Cheeks rather screwed up defense.

However if you go back to the short time that Chris Ford was coaching us, he was the ONLY head coach we had that actually used, and kept Dalembert under the hoop, and utilized his Rebounding and shot-blocking skills. In that stretch, Dalembert believe it or not averaged 14 Pts, 12.3 rebounds, and 5 blocks a game in 31 minutes per game. If you also remember the playoff series with Detroit a year ago, you will remember how Dalembert absolutely killed Ben Wallace all over the boards, and swated over 4 shots a game. This more than anything was why Billy King gave Dalembert that contract. Also, there were several other teams willing to give him that much, and more. Jerry Colangelo while in Phoenix loved him. He believed that he already had enough scoring, and wanted a strictly rebounding and D Center. Of course the Suns didn't have the Cap space, and a deal couldn't be made. Now he's in Toronto, so don't toss out the idea of a deal for him. I as a 76er fan don't want Dalembert to be just given away. However, your own Super star in Bosh has apparently let it be known that he wants a true Center who can help him board, and one who will force a lower shooting percentage from the other teams, and believe me fans, Aldridge is in NO WAY even close to that player. He's a soft Inside player at Texas. In fact he's more of a PF than a Center. Now I know Dalembert is not an offensive player in the inside paint. However, with Bosh, and CV, the Raps don't need that.

I have no idea what the deal would be, but I have HEARD that if Philly was willing to take back BOTH Williams in a trade...Eric's last year, and the two remaining years on Alvin's deal, that they would send the # 1 pick for Dalembert. That would offset the money that Toronto would pay next season. In fact, they would actually LOWER their team payroll since Eric & Alvin will combine for more money than Dalembert is gonna make. There for the Raps could get their defensive-minded Center, and STILL have the Cap space to sign a free agent. And STILL have the full MLE to use after that.

Like I said fans, Dalembert by himself for # 1...doubtful I agree. However, Dalembert for # 1, AND taking two stiff players of your payroll, well fans, you may not like it, but a team, and a owner like the Raps owner believe me, would have to consider it.

Just some food for thought.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #23
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Arrow

You have a great point there. I never took that into consideration. Alvin Williams is making around $6.8 Million per the next 2 seasons and Eric Williams is making around $4-5 Million this season. If you think about it, it is a fair trade. BUT you also have to remember that the person who is coming out of this draft at #1 could be a potential all-star. I am not saying that right now off the bat, but in a couple seasons. I am not saying this draft is an all-star draft but it has a few players that have "potential" so still, I wouldn't take it.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #24
albertpujols
High School Varsity 6th Man

albertpujols has no real reputation yet.

10+ million a year for Dalembart? What were they thinking? That is worse than the Aroujo signing.
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #25
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

23jordan23 has an OK reputation so far

Lamarcus would b a better pick than Dalembert...Dalebert would b more Defense ...lamarcus is more all around
23jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #26
Unregistered

Dalembert is worth the #1 easily. He is exactly what all you guys are saying in these posts, when you look at the general ideas. He's a legit Centre who is very young and already gets clost to a double double and can lead the NBA in blocks!?! What more are we asking for? I like him a lot and his numbers last year were so out of wack. If you followed him, he was crazy good for the first half of the year and then Cheeks (one of the leagues worst coaches) decided to bench him and proceeded to watch Philly lose most of the games and miss the playoffs.

Considering we may pay $8M +for ass like Pryz, Dalembert would be amazing.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #27
Orealius
Great young streetballer

Orealius has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Considering we may pay $8M +for ass like Pryz, Dalembert would be amazing.

Slammy and Billa are about the same and their potential levels are about the same. I wouldnt pay 8 mill + for Billa but if we could get him for around 6, i'd take that and keep the #1 rather than just having Slammy. Trading the #1 and a not so bad contract (AWilliams) for Dalembert would be a HUGE mistake.
Orealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #28
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Thumbs down

dalambert isn't worth the #1 overall pick, don't make me laugh.

if he was worth HALF of what the #1 pick is worth, Philly would have been fourth seed.

toronto is still a young team needs more than 1 player to bring us to the next level. dalambert and his underwelming numbers don't cut it. the guy pulled a jerome james, he had 1 good playoff series and cashed in, and he followed that up by proving he wasn't worth his large contract all season. with centers being rare and hard to come by, you think philly would give him up? nope. the guy is just flat out overrated... and i don't care how many blocks he gets, he still sucks on offense and man2man defense.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #29
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
dalambert isn't worth the #1 overall pick, don't make me laugh.

if he was worth HALF of what the #1 pick is worth, Philly would have been fourth seed.

toronto is still a young team needs more than 1 player to bring us to the next level. dalambert and his underwelming numbers don't cut it. the guy pulled a jerome james, he had 1 good playoff series and cashed in, and he followed that up by proving he wasn't worth his large contract all season. with centers being rare and hard to come by, you think philly would give him up? nope. the guy is just flat out overrated... and i don't care how many blocks he gets, he still sucks on offense and man2man defense.

This is pretty closed minded. Dal is exactly what Raps fans on this forum say we need. A legit, defensive C. Now, we are dumping on Dal for his offensive game? If you ever watched him play, when Cheeks actually played him, he does have reasonably advanced post moves, a solid jumper and can attack the rim with his hops. Great shot blocker....not sure why you wouldn't care about blocks, who intimidates the other team.

In terms of Pryz, he won't sign for $6 million, some team, hopefully not us, will give him a huge deal. He is so behind not just Dalembert, but almost every other Center in terms of offensive talent it isn't even funny.

Finally, I am not sure who this $10million PG is that we are looking to sign.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #30
mattyp4
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mattyp4 has an OK reputation so far

Unless you plan to pay Jason Terry, Speedy Claxton or Mike James a $10 million dollar point guard doesn't exist. I guess unless your Isiah Thomas
mattyp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: