Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
HardTattooedThug
Serious playground baller

HardTattooedThug has decent reputation
Default Why is the NFL more popular than the NBA?

I feel that objectively the NBA provides more entertainment, but I realize this is my own interpretation. Prehaps a 16-game season limits saturation and makes each NFL game a big event?
HardTattooedThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Homeslice
I hit open layups

Homeslice has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why is the NFL more popular than the NBA?

Greatest sport ever invented, hands down...end of story. Nothing beats football...nothing.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

I don't know. I never was a fan of football, too much dead time to me.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTattooedThug
I feel that objectively the NBA provides more entertainment, but I realize this is my own interpretation. Prehaps a 16-game season limits saturation and makes each NFL game a big event?

You have 22 massive bodies pounding each other at the same time. That's good stuff.

Big field, hard hits, each play has tremendous movement and excitement.

Basketball? If I watch the last two minutes, I'm good....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice
Greatest sport ever invented, hands down...end of story. Nothing beats football...nothing.
I don't know about greatest. If it was so great, they'd play it across the world instead of little ol' US of A.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Yup, nothing beats real football, you know, the real world's greatest game since it is the ONLY sport donned the World's Game.

As far as American Football, all together, there's only about 15-20 minutes of action, not 60. All that deadtime is boring, you make a nice 30 yard run, congrats, you get two minutes of resting time! Don't see the real excitement in that.

Edit: Rugby > American Football as well if you want a sport that is actual hard hitting without the resting time.

Last edited by qrich : 12-01-2007 at 01:56 AM.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Homeslice
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I don't know about greatest. If it was so great, they'd play it across the world instead of little ol' US of A.

Not really, most of the world does not possess the resources to make football a popular sport across nationwide academia.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Not really, most of the world does not possess the resources to make football a popular sport across nationwide academia.
What resources a helmet and a ball?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I'm going to be extremely blunt here.

middle class white people like it more than basketball.

basketball has become a "black" sport. white people are scared away from the game from a very early age. all the athletic white kids who would have been basketball players in the 70s take up lacrosse or soccer or football.

basketball is really the only sport I can think of where black people are way more talented than white people are. so all the black people gravitate to it, urbanize the game, and alienate white people, make them feel awkward in comparison, and as a result, they play basketball less, and as a result, they like basketball less.

and since only like 10% of the population is black... that spells bad news for popularity.

and yes I know not EVERY white person is scared away, I'm talking trends. it's why NASCAR is more popular. the reason it it's because it's a Southern White sport, and there are more southern whites than there are blacks.

ok now that I've offended just about every sensible person here, feel free to blast me into the ground but try to include rational analysis of my points in there somewhere. I don't really feel like dressing up my writing to make it PC. anyway it would triple the length of this post.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

**** you, whitey.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #11
DMizzle
Great young streetballer

DMizzle is considered somewhat coolDMizzle is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

AND GRASS!
DMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #12
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I'm going to be extremely blunt here.

middle class white people like it more than basketball.

basketball has become a "black" sport. white people are scared away from the game from a very early age. all the athletic white kids who would have been basketball players in the 70s take up lacrosse or soccer or football.

basketball is really the only sport I can think of where black people are way more talented than white people are. so all the black people gravitate to it, urbanize the game, and alienate white people, make them feel awkward in comparison, and as a result, they play basketball less, and as a result, they like basketball less.

and since only like 10% of the population is black... that spells bad news for popularity.

and yes I know not EVERY white person is scared away, I'm talking trends. it's why NASCAR is more popular. the reason it it's because it's a Southern White sport, and there are more southern whites than there are blacks.

ok now that I've offended just about every sensible person here, feel free to blast me into the ground but try to include rational analysis of my points in there somewhere. I don't really feel like dressing up my writing to make it PC. anyway it would triple the length of this post.

What percentage of the NFL is black?

Blacks are, on a general scale, better athletes.

*sparks racism debate*
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #13
Homeslice
I hit open layups

Quote:

Does your average school in the world have $500+ to spend on protective gear for each athlete, plus the enormous amount of insurance it costs for an injury prone sport? Not to mention trainers, refs, statisticians, marker crews etc.

I'll answer for you. No they don't. They few that do, are so full of wimpified people that would never expose the children to the violence of football in academia.

But it's all relative. The USA has the most resources in the world and we choose football among all sports. So we are in a better position to decide what the best sport in the world is. That's all there is to it. Too bad, so sad, goodbye...

Last edited by Homeslice : 12-01-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #14
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Does your average school in the world have $500+ to spend on protective gear for each athlete, plus the enormous amount of insurance it costs for an injury prone sport? Not to mention trainers, refs, statisticians, marker crews etc.

I'll answer for you. No they don't. They few that do, are so full of wimpified people that would never expose the children to the violence of football in academia.

Does NFL Europe still exist?

Yes, these countries can't afford this, yet they have Hockey where you also need the workers you mentioned, along with SKATES, sturdy goal posts, sticks, etc. oh yeah, and you need an ice rink with generators.

Quote:
But it's all relative. The USA has the most resources in the world and we choose football among all sports. So we are in a better position to decide what the best sport in the world is. That's all there is to it. Too bad, so sad, goodbye...

So again, tell me why REAL Football is donned the World's Greatest Game and the World's Sport and not American Football? If it's so "great" and the "best", but it's not in the most treasured competition ever[Olympics]?
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 AM   #15
Homeslice
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich

Yes, these countries can't afford this, yet they have Hockey where you also need the workers you mentioned, along with SKATES, sturdy goal posts, sticks, etc. oh yeah, and you need an ice rink with generators.

Every school in Europe has the funds for a hockey ice rink?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: