Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Default Re: NBA Draft Game Thread

Last night I watched some NIT. In the SIU-Oklahoma State game, I noticed two seniors that could make it to the NBA as defenders. One was Randall Falker, the other, Marcus Dove. Falker is 6-7, 235 pounds and Dove is 6-9, 215. Neither had much of an offensive game to me, but they were pretty good defenders (Dove got in foul trouble but was able to make some nice defensive plays anyway). I doubt either would be an NBA starter, but they could possibly contribute off the bench. Matt Shaw shot the ball pretty well and had good form, but he isn't athletic enough to make it to the next level.

In the Arizona State game James Harden really impressed me. I think if he entered this year, he would be a top 20 draft pick, maybe even hit the lottery. He's strong and can shoot as well as take the ball to the hole. He says he is staying, so maybe he can raise his stock and possibly get drafted high next year. No one else in the game really impressed me as an NBA player. I heard Jeff Pendergraph might make it as a second rounder, but I never saw that potential. Maybe if he bulks up a bit, but he didn't seem like much on offense. I'll probably watch more NIT and get a better opinion of him.

Tonight has five games that will be on television for me to watch. I'm going to watch the tripleheader on ESPN2 for sure; I want to watch Calathes and Speights again in Florida's game, I want to watch some Virginia Tech players and see if any of them have NBA potential, and I want a glimpse at Ryan Anderson of Cal, as he is apparently a first round draft choice this year. If anybody here has a short list of players to watch for tonight, that would help.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #17
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Harden is a monster. He can get to the bucket and finish with contact all the time. Good shooter from three and good from the line. The guy just knows how to score. I have seen some of Dove and he seems like an NBA ready defender but not offensivly.

Anderson is also a great player and will be a first round pick whenever he comes out. He has so many offensive skills it is amazing, he is 6'10 can step out and hit 3's with the best of them in the PAC 10 can post up and score and leads the PAC 10 in FT%, also was either first or second (depending on where Brockman finished) in rebounds/game in the PAC 10. An all around solid player.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #18
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
Harden is a monster. He can get to the bucket and finish with contact all the time. Good shooter from three and good from the line. The guy just knows how to score. I have seen some of Dove and he seems like an NBA ready defender but not offensivly.

Anderson is also a great player and will be a first round pick whenever he comes out. He has so many offensive skills it is amazing, he is 6'10 can step out and hit 3's with the best of them in the PAC 10 can post up and score and leads the PAC 10 in FT%, also was either first or second (depending on where Brockman finished) in rebounds/game in the PAC 10. An all around solid player.

Switching over to the Hardin spelled with an 'i', what is your opinion of him? He seems like a good role player who can rebound and block shots, would you consider him a Stromile Swift type, maybe a bit less?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #19
monthh
Local High School Star

Big Three, the problem with guys who are purely defenders are that there just aren't enough roster spots for them. You see it in baseball a lot where you can just put a guy in for defensive or offensive purposes, but in basketball, with such a limited bench and so many injuries, you can't really do that. Even a guy like Bruce Bowen can hit 3's. Guys like Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace are like 1 in a million.

As for Harden, I like him a lot, but I just don't know what kind of potential he has. His only major flaw is that he is an inch or two shorter than what would be ideal, but outside of that, he has a really advanced game for his age. The problem for me is that he just doesn't seem like he has the room to grow. With a lot of guys you catch glimpses of a far better player. I just never got that feeling with Harden. I think he is a solid role player in the NBA, but I am not taking him in the lottery or anything.

As for the other Hardin, I loved him last year, but I just don't know what to think of him. His size and athletic ability are his two biggest assests, but I just don't see a guy who scores enough to be a starter in the NBA. I know I am going against what I said earlier about pure defenders, but the key for Hardin is that he can get up and down the court. On a team like GS or Denver he is a big man who plays the post, but he can trail on the break as well. You don't find a ton of players like that.

I really like Ryan Anderson. He has all the skills to be a starter in the NBA. He has a couple things to work on like handling the ball better and improvement on the defensive end, but as a pure prospect, he is everything you look for. If he proves to be at least close to 6-10, teams will be drooling over him. I would like to see the Suns grab him with the Hawks pick because he is the type of athlete that could help them replace part of what they traded away in Marion. I would also like to see him on the Spurs to help bring some youth to their bench.

Last edited by monthh : 03-20-2008 at 01:57 AM.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #20
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Anderson/Udoka would be good at SF, and Anderson could play PF too right? wouldn't be a bad combo. then get a guy to replace Barry,Finley, and then we have Tiago Splitter coming over and we could have a good rookie class if we play our cards right.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #21
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
Switching over to the Hardin spelled with an 'i', what is your opinion of him? He seems like a good role player who can rebound and block shots, would you consider him a Stromile Swift type, maybe a bit less?

He can defend well in the NBA and is an exceptional rebounder in college and should transfer over nicely to the NBA. If offense is the only question mark because he doesn't score with the other players that are like him physically. I don't know what it is with him maybe he is deffering to Patrick Christopher and Ryan Anderson too much but his size and build are very good for the next level.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #22
monthh
Local High School Star

I just think Hardin is still raw on the offensive end. Swift would be the type of player I would compare him to right now.

I agree with the Spurs future. I'm not sure how that Mahinmi will turn out, but Udoka seems solid and I really like Splitter. Those three could really be a nice frontcourt off the bench in the near future. However, I see more potential in Anderson. I think he could start at SF next to Duncan when Bowen is done.

In 3 years:
C-Oberto, Splitter
PF-Duncan, Mahinmi, Bonner
SF-Anderson, Udoka
SG-Manu
PG-Parker

You know they will be able to bring in some help in the backourt in the next couple years, but that is still a championship contender. Anderson would be great in that lineup. I could see 14 and 7 a game.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #23
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

What do you guys think about Calathes' ideal NBA position? Will he be athletic enough to be a 1, or will he play the 2? He's probably versatile enough to play both. And what are your thoughts on Marreese Speights? Just trying to get a good idea of where he stands in the draft.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #24
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

I remember the first time I saw Kenny George - was at the Fitness Center and watching ESPN one morning and they were showing highlights of the game against UNC - one of the Tar Heel players went up against a pretty tall guy (George) and threw it down - I remember thinking, "Who's the little white guy from UNC?" Then they zeroed in on the guy and I was like "Holy crap that was Hansborough............he's 6'9........who the heck is that other guy...and how stinking tall is he????" I really hope that he's able to get on a roster as a situational defender - able to play for a couple years at least.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
What do you guys think about Calathes' ideal NBA position? Will he be athletic enough to be a 1, or will he play the 2? He's probably versatile enough to play both. And what are your thoughts on Marreese Speights? Just trying to get a good idea of where he stands in the draft.

I think Speights can be really good, but we are talking about a guy who is one of the biggest unknowns there can be given that there aren't any highschoolers in the draft anymore.

He definitely has the size, strength and he can move pretty well for his size, but the fact that he barely played over 20 minutes a game, despite being one of the top two players in the team, makes the pick risky. He dominated at times and has one or two decent moves, but he doesn't have a jump shot and unless he develops his offensive game he'll be in trouble. He is ok defender, but not great, and centers with limited offensive skills who aren't great defenders either aren't generally picked very high.

To sum up, he's a project. Despite playing two years in college, and in one of the best programs in the country, there are as many questions as with any Euro or mid-major center.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #26
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

I remember the first time I saw this kid - I was working out at the fitness center and was watching ESPN.........I looked up and saw this "little white guy" from UNC throw down on tall African American player........I can remember thinking - "who the heck is the white guard from UNC????" Then ESPN sighted in on the guy and I was like "HOLY CRAP - THAT'S TYLER HANSBOROUGH - HE'S 6'9!!!!!! WHO THE HECK IS THAT TALL GUY????"
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: