Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Overachieving Players

After looking at the "Wasted Careers" thread, I got thinking, who are the greatest overachievers? One comes to mind...

"In the NBA there are chiefs and Indians. I am one of the greatest Indians"
-Robert Horry, "Slam" magazine interview after receiving seventh ring (most ever of non-Celtic players).

John Salley, Ron Harper and James Edwards are others that come to mind, anyone else care to add?
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Dirkules
Kids at the park dunk on me

Dirkules has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Overachieving Players

Steve Kerr with 5 rings. A great player especially with his 3 pointer, but also with great luck to play for the Bulls and Spurs.
Dirkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
After looking at the "Wasted Careers" thread, I got thinking, who are the greatest overachievers? One comes to mind...

"In the NBA there are chiefs and Indians. I am one of the greatest Indians"
-Robert Horry, "Slam" magazine interview after receiving seventh ring (most ever of non-Celtic players).

John Salley, Ron Harper and James Edwards are others that come to mind, anyone else care to add?

i don't think that's the definition of overachiever for me...

overachiever is someone who wasn't looked to be good, yet became good. maybe someone who went undrafted yet became a great player. or someone who succeeded despite subpar athletic gifts.

so for my understanding of the word, robert horry isn't an overachiever. he's just a role player with a really unique and weird role - to make series and title-winning shots. overachiever is IMO something else, guys like ben wallace or brad miller who made all-star despite going undrafted, or chuck hayes who starts at nba PF at 6'6''...

i'd even call jordan himself an overachiever in some sense, just because of his best ever work ethics and that no-one-saw-it-coming element...
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
i don't think that's the definition of overachiever for me...

overachiever is someone who wasn't looked to be good, yet became good. maybe someone who went undrafted yet became a great player. or someone who succeeded despite subpar athletic gifts.

so for my understanding of the word, robert horry isn't an overachiever. he's just a role player with a really unique and weird role - to make series and title-winning shots. overachiever is IMO something else, guys like ben wallace or brad miller who made all-star despite going undrafted, or chuck hayes who starts at nba PF at 6'6''...

i'd even call jordan himself an overachiever in some sense, just because of his best ever work ethics and that no-one-saw-it-coming element...

Nice comeback! I am a huge Big Ben fan, so going undrafted and being all-star starter does fit the criteria!
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Gil comes to mind. I mean, nobody thought he could score like this. Maybe if we start calling his defense 0 he can get better there too?
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

How about Steve Nash? Anyone not a Suns fan think his play was worth MVP's?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

John Stockton. People prob. thought he could end up being a decent player, but he ended up becoming an all-time legend through his immense work ethic.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Gilbert Arenas
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
How about Steve Nash? Anyone not a Suns fan think his play was worth MVP's?

Mathius

worth or not, no one saw it coming. guy with average physical capabilities quite suddenly becoming best PG in the league at age 29 (i know, system and all, but still) can rightfully be called a late bloomer AND an overachiever.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

Well, there's alot of overachieves you've named already, but some others I have to throw in are Kobe Bryant, Michael Redd, and Kevin Martin. I think they all fit your criteria. However, when I think of an overachiever, I think of a guy with a deficiency that should normally keep him from achieving in the NBA, but he is able to overcome that and still become effective. I'll make a small list of guys I can think of.

Ben Wallace (height; offensive ability)
Chuck Hayes (height majorly)
Earl Boykins (height)
Charles Barkley (I never was able to see him play, but isn't he like 6'5" or 6'6"? That is a lot of height to overcome and still be considered one of the best PF's in the history of the game)
Larry Johnson (again, short but a great NBA player)
Allen Iverson (very short SG, but still able to be one of the best all-time scorers)

There's a bunch of others, so feel free to add to the list.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Kucoc?
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
rzp
Local High School Star

rzp has an OK reputation so far

Manu,Parker,J.Howard,Gilbert,Boozer,Redd...any low draft pick or non drafted player(Ben)
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

ron harper actually was a star before becoming a roleplayer... I mean scoring 23 points a game as a rookie does that for you.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

muggsy
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool

Gilbert Arenas. Although he is using his chance to do useless blogs (which I used to find very funny, but then he over-went with that too ).
The Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: