Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: USA vs. The World--Who would win?

With your starting lineups, Carmello Anthony or Lebron James would either be guarding Tim Duncan or Yao Ming
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #17
BA_God
Decent playground baller

BA_God has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Duncan could legitimately be listed as "World" IMO. It is true that he has played for the USA in International competition, but that was only because when he first played FIBA ball, the Virgin Islands didn't have a team. Due to FIBA rules, because he played for one country already, he can't switch to V.I. even though they now have a team. He even stated such publicly at one point, that he would love to play for the V.I., but he's not allowed to (although because of his sour time with the USA team the last time, he is now likely to never play FIBA ball for anyone ever again).

EXACTLY.
BA_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #18
asu77golf
Your momma so fat...

asu77golf has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRockStar
How could you start Carmelo over KG?

Carmelo doesn't play defense, and leaves you slightly outmatched size wise, he would not even make my team.

US Team

Duncan/Howard/Amare
KG/Marion/Boozer
Lebron/Pierce/Tmac
Kobe/Wade/Redd
Kidd/D. Williams/Paul

US Owns the world team in every which way

That's why he's the star of the US olympic team, because he sucks.
asu77golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_locoteee
Dream played for the Dream team to and his is not American at all, but Virgin Islands and Nigeria have not good teams to play in international competition
wrong. the virgin islands have both a component that is a territory of the US called the US virgin islands and then a british territory that is called the british virgin islands. Pretty sure that Duncan is from the US portion.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Carmelo doesn't play defense, and leaves you slightly outmatched size wise, he would not even make my team.
Did you watch Melo play for Team USA this summer? He was the best player on that team.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 AM   #21
Bimbo Coles
High school junior varsity star

Bimbo Coles has an OK reputation so far

It all depends if we are playing the American or Euro style of bball (I'll assume it would be more Euro) but I still wouldn't have Lebron James anywhere near Team US. You build the team around Kobe (a complete player who can play the 'international style') and find guys that would complement that.

Team US (my 15 man squad)

PG- Jason Kidd
SG- Kobe Bryant ©
C- Tim Duncan
PF- Kevin Garnett
SF- Ron Artest- an animal that would shutdown the main man on int. teams and can score as well

Reserves:

PG- Chauncey Billups- can play both sides of the ball
SG- Ray Allen- you need an outside threat off the bench
SF (6th man) - Shawn Marion- would bring that energy burst
PF- Rasheed Wallace- because he can play inside and outside and both sides of the ball
PF- Jermaine O'Neal- his style suits the European game and he has showed that in the past. Works the boards and provides a presence on and off the ball
C- Shaquille O'Neal- a nightmare for any defense especially with the restrictive European game. At his best, you'd lob it in to him and let him pick them apart. It would need to be a little more controlled now but he'd still get the job done with shorter playing time
C- Ben Wallace- role player to work in defense and provide a body inside.

Rest of the squad:

PG- Baron Davis- when he is in a passing mood, he dishes it out better than any PG
SG- Michael Redd- another perimeter threat in case something happens to Allen
SF- Bruce Bowen- can do a job in shutting opposing guys down but doesn't offer the versatility of swingmen like Artest and Marion. Still, he would be a good contingency guy.

Coach- Greg Popovich

PG- Kidd/ Billups/ Davis
SG- Bryant/ Allen/ Redd
SF- Artest/ Marion/ Bowen
PF- Garnett/ R.Wallace/ J.O'Neal
C- Duncan/ S.O'Neal/ B.Wallace

Like it or lump it, that side would play well together. Winning is the important thing + you can't pick boys (James, Howard, Anthony, Paul, Bosh, Amare, D.Williams, Wade etc) to do a manís job. If you do, guys like Sarunas Jasikevicius would tear them a new one each and every time. It's a different game altogether.

Also, there is no way Nash starts ahead of Parker unless it's an All-Star type of game. Parker wins matches, Nash entertains.
Bimbo Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #22
BonyFaceNDong
I hit open 5-footers

BonyFaceNDong has an OK reputation so far

Us would win with NBA refs. Otherwise world beats US.
BonyFaceNDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 AM   #23
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Anyone that put Ben Wallace in the USA Roster losses their credibility because Wallace was a member of the first USA Team that got their ass whooped in the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis.

You cannot put an NBA Center that is barely 6'6" on International Competition because he would be destroyed playing under the international rule.

Beside Wallace is already an aging warrior, and he is no longer one of the most effective defensive player in the League.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 AM   #24
Bimbo Coles

Bimbo Coles has an OK reputation so far

Iím aware of that and itís funny how people assume that Ben Wallace wouldnít work in other systems just because he doesnít Ďfití in the Bullsí system. You donít need Howard and other young bigs demanding playing time and spoiling team chemistry. You need a guy that will do a job in limited minutes. Even at 6í6, Big Ben is still a big man. He would still be a tough assignment for offensive minded international bigs.
Bimbo Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:17 AM   #25
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
I’m aware of that and it’s funny how people assume that Ben Wallace wouldn’t work in other systems just because he doesn’t ‘fit’ in the Bulls’ system. You don’t need Howard and other young bigs demanding playing time and spoiling team chemistry. You need a guy that will do a job in limited minutes. Even at 6’6, Big Ben is still a big man. He would still be a tough assignment for offensive minded international bigs.

I love Ben Wallace when he was playing for the Detroit Pistons, but i think that the international competition has gone better every year, and if ever he was being chosen as one of the members of the USA National Team, he need to control his temper because international big men tend to flop constantly in the international tournament.

He will be guarding Memhet Okur type of players that will really get on his nerves because they easily flop like a fish, when they have been hit by a slight contact, and use the FIBA rules as an advantage for them to dominate the opposing team.

If this was Ben Wallace during his peak i would choose him to represent the USA Team in the international competition, but he is already a shadow of his former self, and he lose the speed, agility, and the athleticism to combat taller Centers in the NBA because unlike Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon and Kareem Abdul Jabbar the great Ben Wallace rely on his physical advantage more than his fundamental basketball skills.

Physical tools- degrade when a player became older that is why when Wallace start aging, he is no longer putting up better numbers than some of the best role player in the NBA.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 12-02-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #26
whitebear
I airball my layups

whitebear has an OK reputation so far

where is boozer in all of this? is he cuban or an american?

the world would play like the harlem globe trotters over US
whitebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #27
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

NBA rules... US wins easily.

International rules... US still win 6-7 out of 10 times.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #28
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

el_locoteee has decent reputationel_locoteee has decent reputation

Quote:
yeah, cause its not an advantage that those teams have practiced together since teenagers, international rules are different, and the US never has their full team except for the Dream team which made the world teams look like the knicks against the Celtics the other night, haha.

Duncan
KG
Lebron
Kobe
Kidd

Better on both ends than any world team

Dwight Howard
Marion
Pierce
Ray Allen or Micheal Redd
D. Williams

as a 2nd unit isn't bad

The US team will have about 15 of the 20 best players in the world, superior athetes, players who can play both ends, and have no weaknesses as a team.

Athleticism
Shooting
Passing
1 on 1 defense
team defense
rebounding
shotblocking
Perennial All-stars
All Nba defenders

That team could not even practice one time and beat the worlds, lol

You talking about a team in Greece with no NBA players, and Argentina with good but not a full of stars players. You have to win the game. But NBA they don't play as a team, they got all the athleticism of the world but they don't get the superstar call they do in the NBA and they are not use to a more physical game.

And a team like Argentina don't play together all the time, they all play for different team all over the world, and them join once every few years to qualify or play for the Olympics or World Championship.
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #29
ShamRockStar

ShamRockStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu77golf
That's why he's the star of the US olympic team, because he sucks.

Lebron and Kidd made that team go, and just because he was on the team, doesnt mean I have to chooose him.

he's not a PF

SF i want Lebron and

Pierce, he plays defense, and he was the best player on the US team squad in Indianapolis for the WC's, and probably the best offensive player in the entire tournament.

The reason I choose Pierce is that, just as he does at all-stargame, he doesn't care about being a star and would be fine serving as Lebrons backup playing less minuts, like 33 mpg for lebron and 15 mpg.

Carmelo sucker punching players, his immaturity off the court with the whole "stop snitching" incident, and claiming his goal this year is to make the all defense team and plays matador defense. Pierce owned him head to head this year already.

at SG, behind Kobe, I want pure shooters like Redd and Allen,

RIP Hamilton would be a very good choise as well, his movement without the ball and midrange shooting.

That worlds in Indy was revealing though.

- Scoring PGs, such as Baron Davis and Gilbert Aernas don't work.

- Bigs who are athletes but lack skills like shooting or high basketball IQ are out. Ben Wallace and JO reason we lost, they were getting abused.

When I am designing my team

Bigs

Duncan and KG

is there anyone who disagrees,

Low Post Duncan

High post KG, take advantage of his passing skiils

Defensively, these guys are unquestionable the 2 i choose, they both have very high BBall IQ's, are long, make fewer rotaiton mistakes.

SF - Lebron and pierce

SGs - Changed my mind, instead of Kobe, I want Redd, Allen, and Rip. Lebron will take Kobes pounding the ball role. For this style basketball catch and shoot players would ft my team.

PG-Floor Generals who are passers not scorers. I would go with Kidd, Chris Paul as my top
ShamRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #30
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar24
The World:
F- Tim Duncan
F- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Yao Ming
G- Steve Nash.
G- Manu Ginobili

Back-up:
F- Andrei Kirilenko
F- Luol Deng
C- Pau Gasol
G- Tony Parker
G- Leandro Barbosa

USA:
F- LeBron James
F- Carmelo Anthony
C- Dwight Howard
G- Kobe Bryant
G- Jason Kidd

Back-up:
F- Kevin Garnett
F- Chris Bosh
C- Amarť Stoudemire
G- Tracy McGrady
G- Allen Iverson

I would not play Carmelo against Dirk. So I'd choose KG at starting SF for US.
And for international I would experiment with both Nash and Parker at the backcourt and periodically replace Dirk at SF with Deng.

On the Issue of Duncan's team. I believe he has the option of playing for US and international. The US Virgin Islands are a protectorate for the USA, along with Puerto Rico. So if Arroyo can go international there should be no reason Duncan cannot.

And personally, I feel that with either NBA or FIBA rules, the world would win easily. All of the 'world' players are currently in the NBA and are just as familiar with the style of play as the NBA players. In fact, the world would probably perform better with NBA rules since they haven't played FIBA as consistently as NBA.

Nash and Parker combined beats any backcourt the US can put together in terms of passing and creating for the offense. And if Duncan is on world, he would edge out Garnett. I would also say Yao is a better playing than Dwight at this point in their careers.

The only clearcut advantage the US has is LeBron and Kobe. But with the new officiating rules this year, I've noticed less calls going for guys like Kobe/Wade/LeBron when the just take the ball to the hole and try to draw a foul. And you know Manu or someone is gonna be trying to draw a charge.

Also keep in mind five out of the past six MVP's have been from the international team.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: