Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default even I never thought Caron Butler would be this good.

never in a million years.

once Gilbert went down this guy just exploded. I really did not expect this. he's shooting above 50% from 3 for the season- he's 31% for his career. he's averaging 23/7/3.

he's had a top 10 midrange shot in the NBA for about 2 years now and I guess I saw it coming that once he got into a rhythm from deep he would become a decent 3pt shooter. but he can't miss from that range and the best part is he isn't allowing this newfound range to corrupt his game. he's still primarily a midrange shooter and slasher.

I thought it was a fluke at first but it's lasting just a bit too long.

season numbers:

Min- 40.0
Pts- 22.6
Reb- 6.9
Ast- 3.4
Stl- 1.9
FG- 52.5%
3P- 52.8%
FT- 89.0%

Look at those percentages again. I'm pretty sure that makes him statistically the best shooter in the league, and this is a guy who needs to score 23ppg and is his team's #1 option.

where do you rank Caron at this moment on your list of the NBA's best?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: even I never thought Caron Butler would be this good.

Where ever I have Josh Howard, a few spots ahead of him. Only seen him once this year and that was against the Mavs but the thing I loved was that he was all about buckets. He'd give a little shake move then just shoot and was wet despite the defender closing out with a hand up. There was none of that "cheap" jumping into you crap, and even if there was contact he was still all about the bucket and not acting.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Look at those percentages again. I'm pretty sure that makes him statistically the best shooter in the league, and this is a guy who needs to score 23ppg and is his team's #1 option.

FG-54%
3pt-50%
FT-98%
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

[quote=geeWiz15]

season numbers:

Pts- 22.6
FG- 52.5%
3P- 52.8%
FT- 89.0%

Look at those percentages again. I'm pretty sure that makes him statistically the best shooter in the league/QUOTE]
Steve Nash is still in the league.

Pts- 19.6
FG- 53.9%
3P- 50%
FT- 98.2%
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I knew Caron Butler would be this good...he should be better. If he was more agressive at the times he needs to be and played better defense? You'd be lookin at Paul Pierce. Sorry you missed his potential at Uconn.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I knew Caron Butler would be this good...he should be better. If he was more agressive at the times he needs to be and played better defense? You'd be lookin at Paul Pierce.
Caron is right on PP's level as far as defense. As far as aggressiveness, well, you caught Caron on a bad night. He has those every once in a while, one of the reasons he isn't PP. Not consistently good enough, and not consistently aggressive enough. Pierce is more dependable. When Caron's playing like he often does though (like tonight), he's right there with Paul.

His 3 point % will drop though. 40% tops by the end of the season. He hasn't been missing at all of late. Last 6 games (including this one), he's at 75% from behind the arc, on 18-24 shooting.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

man that was the most Gilbertesque shot I've ever seen.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex has an OK reputation so far

konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
R11DMAN
Kids at the park dunk on me

R11DMAN has an OK reputation so far

If he sustains this kind of perormance, and Arenas is heathy and effective again, they could compete very well against the Celtics in the east. They have their own big 3 and, imho, they have a better supporting cast than the Celtics
R11DMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11DMAN
If he sustains this kind of perormance, and Arenas is heathy and effective again, they could compete very well against the Celtics in the east. They have their own big 3 and, imho, they have a better supporting cast than the Celtics

Get the f*ck outta here...call me when team defense improves because Boston big 3 is doing just that.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

Still can't believe the Wizards got him for Kwame Brown, and a bag of chips. Think the Lakers would like do over on that trade?
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo
Still can't believe the Wizards got him for Kwame Brown, and a bag of chips. Think the Lakers would like do over on that trade?

I dont recall many making a big deal of the move....basically cause Caron didnt live up to expectations at the time and you wasnt sure which road he would take. Then you still had people lookin at Cryme Brown age and seeing potential...figured Phil Jackson could get him to be good. Only thing he does right is defend. But when this deal went down? I dont remember many making a big deal out of it as they are now.

Correct me if I'm wrong veterans. Kobe Bryant sure was pissed.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
they have a way better supporting cast but they don't have KG. KG is reason numbers 1 and 2 that team's great.

you add KG to this team even if you take Arenas away they're the best team in the league.

I'm looking to next season. I love watching these guys as they are and root for them but I know they're not good enough to make the playofffs. with a lottery pick and Gilbert back and Butler fully established as a legit star I could see this team making a post season push.

we'll have to adjust to the absence of Jamison though.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
I dont recall many making a big deal of the move....basically cause Caron didnt live up to expectations at the time and you wasnt sure which road he would take.
IIRC he averaged 20ppg in the last like month and a half.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: