Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: even I never thought Caron Butler would be this good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I dont recall many making a big deal of the move....basically cause Caron didnt live up to expectations at the time and you wasnt sure which road he would take. Then you still had people lookin at Cryme Brown age and seeing potential...figured Phil Jackson could get him to be good. Only thing he does right is defend. But when this deal went down? I dont remember many making a big deal out of it as they are now.

Correct me if I'm wrong veterans. Kobe Bryant sure was pissed.

I know I was pissed cos Odom and Kobe went down that year and Caron basically carried the team for stretches. Only the idiots in the Lakers FO thought trading him for a scrub like Kwame was a good deal..
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #17
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I dont recall many making a big deal of the move....basically cause Caron didnt live up to expectations at the time and you wasnt sure which road he would take. Then you still had people lookin at Cryme Brown age and seeing potential...figured Phil Jackson could get him to be good. Only thing he does right is defend. But when this deal went down? I dont remember many making a big deal out of it as they are now.

Yes. Yes he was...that was Kobe's best friend on the team. Him and Caron were working out all summer together. And suddenly Caron gets traded without Kobe knowing anything about it.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
steve

steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation

Quote:

The way I saw it at the time, he could've easily been rookie of the year, his second year was a bit off after he came back from an injury and he had trouble finding his place on that team, and then it took awhile to adjust to new surroundings in LA (but he played very well late in the season). When he was traded to DC (with Atkins) for Kwame, I was ecstatic because I always wanted DC to get him in the 2002 draft when he started dropping.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
IIRC he averaged 20ppg in the last like month and a half.

For L.A? I dont remember it...just remember him not adjusting much to the system in L.A. I didnt think the trade was a good one because I didnt like Cryme Brown one bit. Kind of chuckled at the addition as if he was supposed to play Horace Grant, Odumb play Pippen and Kobe play well you know who.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #20
R11DMAN
Kids at the park dunk on me

R11DMAN has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Get the f*ck outta here...call me when team defense improves because Boston big 3 is doing just that.

Not really a Wizard fan here. I just see something special in Butler, and if Arenas Jamison and Butler plays well together I don't see why they can't beat any other team.

Garnett>>>Jamison
Allen<< Arenas if healthy
Pierce=Butler
R11DMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #21
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Not really a Wizard fan here. I just see something special in Butler, and if Arenas Jamison and Butler plays well together I don't see why they can't beat any other team.

Garnett>>>Jamison
Allen<< Arenas if healthy
Pierce=Butler
Because no sport works like that? Washington's big three isn't as good as Boston's big three not because of talent level, but because they all do the exact same thing. Score. They aren't the best of facilitators. None of them defend. No body works exceptionally hard for loose balls and rebounds. They just score. That doesn't get it done.

Oh, and it breaks down more like this...

Gil = Pierce (primary options on offense)
Jamison = Allen (spot up shooters / finishers)
Caron <<< KG (leftover)

Middle one is only because Ray has been turned solely into a spot up shooter this year, something Antawn excels at. If you need a superstar to lead a team, obviously you take Ray, but as pure finishers, these two guys are more or less equal.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #22
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Over the last 20 or so games of the '05 season, Caron was putting up 21ppg for the Lakers and everyone was optimistic. I, for one, still remember in perfect memory vision seeing the caption at the bottom of the espn2 page saying he'd been traded for Kwame, and flat out thinking it was a misprint. I didn't believe it was true until 3 days afterward. Literally did not believe the FO would do that.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc84
Over the last 20 or so games of the '05 season, Caron was putting up 21ppg for the Lakers and everyone was optimistic. I, for one, still remember in perfect memory vision seeing the caption at the bottom of the espn2 page saying he'd been traded for Kwame, and flat out thinking it was a misprint. I didn't believe it was true until 3 days afterward. Literally did not believe the FO would do that.

misprint
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

I know how it sounds, but i'm dead serious. Thought there was a misprint and didn't even pay attention to it. Thought there was no way and just turned the channel to see what else was on.

Couple days later I log onto LAtimes and Boom. There it is.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #25
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

My favorite non Heat player in the league by far.

Injury riddled that whole second year, but I still knew he'd be a player to be reckon with in this league....
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #26
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
man that was the most Gilbertesque shot I've ever seen.

it was a travel...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #27
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I actually think Caron has the most similar game to Paul's. He didn't have the production like Paul did before last year, but very similar game.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #28
steve

steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation

Pierce and Butler were also compared coming into the their rookie seasons, as the consensus was that both them fell much too far in the draft (both being drafted 10).
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #29
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Butler became a better player because he added a jumpshot to his game and he's getting better by extending the range on that jumpshot... he is a career 32% 3pt shooter - but this year he's shooting over 50% - he said he was gonna get better in the off-season and did... it started with ballhandling - and now shooting...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #30
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Pierce and Butler were also compared coming into the their rookie seasons, as the consensus was that both them fell much too far in the draft (both being drafted 10).

Butler dropped that low because there were rumors before the draft that he had been shot in the knee when he was younger and he may have future knee problems.

Pierce and Butler do have similar games except Butler is better at running on the break and Pierce is a little better in the half court.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: