Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #31
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Default Re: even I never thought Caron Butler would be this good.

Quote:
it was a travel...
it was hibachi.

Quote:
Pierce and Butler do have similar games except Butler is better at running on the break and Pierce is a little better in the half court.
I don't see what you see. Caron does have pretty crazy steal instincts. but running the break I think is just the product of being on a running team that doesn't pretend to care about defense. Caron is pretty slow, doesn't jump that high and is known to blow the finish on the break.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #32
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
Butler dropped that low because there were rumors before the draft that he had been shot in the knee when he was younger and he may have future knee problems.
No one really mentioned potential knee problems when he was drafted, most of the problems people had was that they didn't know if his attitude had cleared up at that point.

It should also be noted that Jordan has been playing Caron at the point a good bit when he's taken Daniels out of the game.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #33
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
it was hibachi.

uh huh - travel...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #34
PK3434
Good Golly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
No one really mentioned potential knee problems when he was drafted, most of the problems people had was that they didn't know if his attitude had cleared up at that point.

It should also be noted that Jordan has been playing Caron at the point a good bit when he's taken Daniels out of the game.

I watched every game Caron played at Uconn. He NEVER had an attitude at any point.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #35
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Caron is a guy that makes it clear who watches NCAA ball and who does not. Those that only watch NBA say "wow Butler is ballin' his ass off" while those that watch NCAA see how he's playing now and say "that's what he's supposed to do".

SIDE NOTE: I still find it amusing that people continue to ignore Caron and Antawn's play plus the team's record over the years without Gilbert Arenas as they call Arenas the most important Wizard. Without a doubt they are a better group of players with Arenas but the fact they are a better team without Arenas should no longer be in doubt. Caron and Antawn are the cake, Gilbert is the icing.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #36
Spudjjay
Shining on em

Please stop with all the Butler=Pierce stuff, as a PP fan I find it very disrespecful. Pierce is a bonafide hall-o-famer when his career is over, top 3 at his position and arguably top 10 in the league. I know there game and numbers are similiar but that doesn`t mean your equal to someone whose did that there WHOLE CAREER. What if Rudy Gay starts putting up similiar numbers to T-MAC? I guess Rudy Gay equals T-Mac right? Wrong!
Spudjjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #37
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I can see GeeWiz making a thread about Chase Budinger being good in the NBA. "OMG, even I (like whoa nellie if Gee didnt know u surely didnt) didnt expect this guy to be that good. I was thinkin Kyle Korver, poor mans Korver. He's friggin good!". "Holy cow hold the mayo mom enough is enough...Ellington is a baller! Who woulda knew? I mean really!".

You'd think by now GeeWiz and others would start watching more college bball especially since the NBA 1yr rule has kids staying in college for atleast 1 season. Guess not.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #38
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I can see GeeWiz making a thread about Chase Budinger being good in the NBA. "OMG, even I (like whoa nellie if Gee didnt know u surely didnt) didnt expect this guy to be that good. I was thinkin Kyle Korver, poor mans Korver. He's friggin good!". "Holy cow hold the mayo mom enough is enough...Ellington is a baller! Who woulda knew? I mean really!".

You'd think by now GeeWiz and others would start watching more college bball especially since the NBA 1yr rule has kids staying in college for atleast 1 season. Guess not.
@ hold the mayo mom
Old 12-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #39
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudjjay
Please stop with all the Butler=Pierce stuff, as a PP fan I find it very disrespecful. Pierce is a bonafide hall-o-famer when his career is over, top 3 at his position and arguably top 10 in the league. I know there game and numbers are similiar but that doesn`t mean your equal to someone whose did that there WHOLE CAREER. What if Rudy Gay starts putting up similiar numbers to T-MAC? I guess Rudy Gay equals T-Mac right? Wrong!

How is it disrespect? I guess when Paul Pierce was drafted he wasnt compared to a proven, established NBA player? Only player in draft history whose NBA comparison was left blank.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #40
Da KO King

Actually to be fair GeeWiz did at least see Memphis U this season so maybe he's making the effort to watch NCAA ball now.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #41
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

I have no problem with the Butler/Pierce comparisons, they're similar types of players. But Pierce has been much better over their career, and although Butler is playing at a similar level statistically, I am going to need to see his level sustained for a much longer period of time before I regard him as being Pierce's equal. That pretty 50% + shooting isn't going to last all year, if he continues to play at a high level he will start to see the kind of defensive attention Pierce did before (and still does when Garnett rests), he's not going to make 54% of his treys all season no matter what, and I am willing to predict that by the end of the year he's around 45% from the field and 40-44% from three. Which would still be good percentages, by the way.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #42
BFRESH44
College star

I was shocked when Caron fell to 10. But I thought Riley and Pfund would've ****ed it up and drafted Jeffries. Riley had a ridiculous hard on (no homo) for Jared Jeffries during pre draft workouts....
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #43
Spudjjay
Shining on em

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How is it disrespect? I guess when Paul Pierce was drafted he wasnt compared to a proven, established NBA player? Only player in draft history whose NBA comparison was left blank.

Your taking it wrong. It`s disrespect when you say Butler basically equals Pierce. I know there games are similiar I WATCH BASKETBALL.
Spudjjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #44
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:

you're right.

all I have to go on is 5 years of mediocre NBA play.

35 minutes, averaged under 20 every year. mediocre play for his whole NBA career for a 27 year old, and all of a sudden he's acting like Paul friggin Pierce and you're acting like you aren't surprised?

the reason you aren't surprised is because you probably haven't watched Caron Butler more than 3 times a season since his college days. but I don't give you a hard time about that and why? because you have no way to watch him. just like I didn't have any way to watch Caron Butler when I was 12 because I didn't have cable and only one TV in the house.

anyway the difference is only 4ppg (so far) but there's a significant difference in his game. he is truly playing like he is the man. THE man. he went from good but inconsistent starter to Paul Pierce in the blink of an eye. anyone whose been closely following his NBA career for 3 years would be surprised by this. anybody who hasn't watched him more than 3 times per season since his college days wouldn't be.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #45
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Lakers feeling real dumb about giving up Caron for crap,
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: