Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
marny_navis
Banned

Default #1 Ohio State v. #2 LSU in BCS Championship Game

BCS BOWLS

Rose Bowl presented by Citi
Jan. 1 / 4:30 p.m. Pasadena, Calif. ABC
BCS vs. BCS (Big Ten Champion vs. Pac 10 Champion, if available)

#7 USC v. #13 Illinois

Allstate Sugar Bowl
Jan. 1 / 8:30 p.m. New Orleans, La. FOX
BCS vs. BCS (SEC Champion, if available)

#5 Georgia v. #10 Hawaii

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Jan. 2 / 8 p.m. Phoenix, Ariz. FOX
*BCS vs. BCS (Big 12 Champion, if available)

#4 Oklahoma v. #9 West Virginia

FedEx Orange Bowl
Jan. 3 / 8 p.m. Miami, Fla. FOX
*BCS vs. BCS (ACC Champion, if available)

#3 Virginia Tech v. #8 Kansas

Allstate BCS National Championship
Jan. 7 / 8 p.m. New Orleans, La. FOX
*BCS #1 vs. BCS #2

#1 Ohio State v. #2 LSU

Quote:
LSU takes the second spot in BCS, will face Ohio St.

Associated Press

Updated: December 2, 2007, 8:38 PM ETLSU has a ticket to the title game. Everyone else has a pretty good gripe.
The latest chapter in this crazy, unpredictable college football season was written Sunday when LSU won the sport's version of the lottery, being picked to play Ohio State for the championship and leaving about a half-dozen other candidates with plenty to complain about.

How They Stand

The top five teams in the Bowl Championship Series standings:

For the complete BCS standings, click here.For the complete AP and USA Today polls, click here.What does your Top 25 look like? Rank 'em

The Tigers (11-2), ranked second in the latest Associated Press poll, will be the first team to play in the BCS title game with two losses.
No. 1 Ohio State goes into the game, Jan. 7 at the Superdome in New Orleans, at 11-1.
Missouri and West Virginia, the teams that came into the weekend ranked 1 and 2, lost Saturday to blow their title chances, were left out of the BCS altogether.
Why did LSU, which was seventh in the BCS standings heading into the final weekend, make the jump to No. 2 and into the big game, while Oklahoma, Southern California, Georgia and a number of others were left behind?
The 174 poll voters and handful of computer nerds whose calculations make up the BCS rankings probably all have their own reasons. Among the best is that LSU was rewarded for winning the Southeastern Conference, which is traditionally viewed as one of the toughest leagues in the nation.
There's also the argument coach Les Miles and athletic director Skip Bertman offered up Saturday night: The Tigers went undefeated in regulation this season -- their two losses both coming in triple overtime.
Paper-thin as that line of reasoning may sound, it's as good as any in this topsy turvy season during which the top-ranked team lost four times, the second-ranked team lost six times since October and Nos. 1 and 2 lost on the same week three times in the last two months.
The rest of the BCS games are filled with teams that had every bit as good an argument as LSU for a spot in the title game.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Last edited by marny_navis : 12-02-2007 at 09:02 PM.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
marny_navis
Banned

Default Re: #1 Ohio State v. #2 LSU in BCS Championship Game

I really feel Missouri got screwed over in this one. They were better than Kansas, Illinois, and probably Hawaii, yet they get left out of a BCS game. They need to get rid of the 2-team-per-conference rule. Ohio State v. LSU should be a great game, and Oklahoma/West Virginia look good, too, but other than those matchups I see no other games that make me say "Wow!"
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
I really feel Missouri got screwed over in this one. They were better than Kansas, Illinois, and probably Hawaii, yet they get left out of a BCS game. They need to get rid of the 2-team-per-conference rule. Ohio State v. LSU should be a great game, and Oklahoma/West Virginia look good, too, but other than those matchups I see no other games that make me say "Wow!"
Mizzou absolutely got screwed over, but I can't wait for the "BCS! BCS!" chants from the Illini fans at the Illinois/Mizzou basketball game in three weeks.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Mizzou absolutely got screwed over, but I can't wait for the "BCS! BCS!" chants from the Illini fans at the Illinois/Mizzou basketball game in three weeks.

Congrats to your Illini. Zook's building a great team, and I think this is the beginning of an era in which the Big Ten gets dominated by Illinois. It would be a great start for them to defeat USC, although they are tremendous underdogs, IMO.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

I think Hawaii is overrated. I heard they have one of the easiest schedules in the nation.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414

Or they can chant "MSU raped us on the hard wood."

Something both teams can do together.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Or they can chant "MSU raped us on the hard wood."

Something both teams can do together.
What bowl is MSU going to?
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
What bowl is MSU going to?

Dunno...but what I do know is that we're contending for a title in basketball while you are average to good in both sports. Have fun with that cause I hear moral victories are great.

I get to watch MSU contend for a title for at least 3 years seeing how the recruiting has gone.

What do you get? A good Illinois football team that may get to BCS bowls, but will never go to a title game and a basketball team that will never live up to what that trio did a few years ago.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
Dunno...but what I do know is that we're contending for a title in basketball while you are average to good in both sports. Have fun with that cause I hear moral victories are great.

I get to watch MSU contend for a title for at least 3 years seeing how the recruiting has gone.

What do you get? A good Illinois football team that may get to BCS bowls, but will never go to a title game and a basketball team that will never live up to what that trio did a few years ago.

Illinois can definitely get to a BCS Title game, the Big Ten is weak. Plus, they've got a great recruiting class and Mendenhall will be back next year, along with Juice, I believe.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #10
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I think Hawaii is overrated. I heard they have one of the easiest schedules in the nation.

It's easy because all the big time programs aren't willing to play them, and are instead willing to give them money to avoid scheduling them, they should be in the title game, they made their schedule as competitive as possible and they ran the table, not to mention there road schedule is arguably the toughest out of any NCAA Division 1 football team. In a year where noone stepped up, I think Hawaii should have gotten a shot at the National Title.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Why the Rose Bowl would pick Illinois instead of West Virginia blows my mind??? How ****ing stupid can they get?
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
Illinois can definitely get to a BCS Title game, the Big Ten is weak. Plus, they've got a great recruiting class and Mendenhall will be back next year, along with Juice, I believe.
The Big Ten isn't weak. Things go in cycles and people don't pay enough attention to the big picture anyway. They see snapshots and try to paint a broader stroke with them. Ohio State's loss to Florida wasn't indicative of any bigger problems in the league; aside from that game, the Big Ten and SEC are even at 8-8 in bowl games this decade. The SEC's the strongest league right now but the Big Ten doesn't suck.

What IS a problem is how early the Big Ten season ends. That extra two weeks of layoff before a Jan. 1 bowl really hurts, when you haven't played for six weeks. Last time Illinois was in a bowl- the Sugar Bowl six years ago- it was readily apparent.

LSU wasn't super-loaded or anything in 2001 like they are now and were no better than us. They weren't more athletic, they didn't overwhelm us. But they had played three weeks prior (games getting pushed back a week because of 9/11) to that game and we hadn't played since Thanksgiving. We were so out of sync, by the time we got things going and got back on the same page, it was too late. They were up 34-7 in the second quarter; the final ended up being 47-34, but our passing game was torching them with big plays in the second half. Had we got one more stop in the fourth quarter- down 41-28, they hadn't done anything offensively for several possessions, and they couldn't stop our four NFL-caliber receivers- I think we would've come back, but we didn't.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
Why the Rose Bowl would pick Illinois instead of West Virginia blows my mind??? How ****ing stupid can they get?
Big Ten/Pac-10. It may not matter to some of you, but it does to them. It's the granddaddy, and they'll take Big Ten/Pac-10 every time they get the chance.

The ratings for non-Big Ten/Pac-10 Rose Bowls are abysmal. College football fans may like West Virginia, but the casual viewer isn't tuning in for a nontraditional matchup that has little mainstream appeal. Even the Michigan/Texas Rose Bowl three years ago got poor ratings, as did the Miami/Nebraska title game Rose Bowl six years ago.

And I'd like to submit the possibility that Illinois may be every bit as good as West Virginia. 9-3 overall with a 6-2 mark in a much better conference v. 10-2 with a 5-2 mark in an inferior conference? That's more or less a wash.

Where's WV's big-time wins this year? We won on the road against No. 1. Beat then-No. 5 Wisconsin and then-No. 20 Penn State.

What's their big win? Cincy? UConn? Those are about on par with our Penn State win, which was only our third-biggest win. And I'm being kind to say "on par." I could very easily say that Illinois has three wins better than any West Virginia win and consider winning at Indiana actually on par with beating Cincy or UConn.

Yes, their only two losses were games in which Pat White got hurt, but two of our three losses this year were with our backup QB throwing game-losing interceptions at the goal line.

Where are you coming from bringing West Virginia into the discussion, anyway? The controversy leading up to the selection was if it would be Illinois or Georgia. And even that wasn't gonna happen. There's a rule that when a bowl loses a conference champion to the title game, like the Sugar Bowl did with LSU, that they can protect at-large teams from that conference. It's unlikely the Sugar Bowl would have released Georgia to the Rose Bowl, because Hawaii won't buy a lot of tickets.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 12-03-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 AM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
It's easy because all the big time programs aren't willing to play them, and are instead willing to give them money to avoid scheduling them, they should be in the title game, they made their schedule as competitive as possible and they ran the table, not to mention there road schedule is arguably the toughest out of any NCAA Division 1 football team. In a year where noone stepped up, I think Hawaii should have gotten a shot at the National Title.
Bull****.

Not only should Hawaii not get a shot at a national title, they shouldn't even be in a BCS game. Regardless of the reason that they played no one.....THEY PLAYED NO ONE. They literally had the worst schedule in America. Their opponents' winning percentage was 36%. They played two DI-AA teams. Four teams with two wins or less. A 4-9 Washington team was probably the best team they played, and they had to climb out of a 21-0 hole to win that one.

And don't give me this "no one will play them" nonsense. USC played AT Hawaii two years ago. Last year they played at Alabama and hosted Oregon State and Purdue. In 2005, in addition to hosting USC, they also hosted Wisconsin and played at Michigan State. They hosted Michigan State and Northwestern in 2004, Alabama in 2003 (and played at USC that season) and 2002.

It is an absolute myth that "no one will play Hawaii." They've played multiple solid BCS conference programs every year in recent years except this one. Their schedule this year was a joke and shouldn't have landed them a BCS bid. As mediocre as Arizona State's overall resume was for a 10-2 team, they're more deserving than Hawaii, their idiot head coach, their classless fans and their sex offender quarterback.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:

We could win a national title and not live up to what Dee, Deron and Luther did. Those guys were once in a lifetime, and we may never see three better veteran guards on one team like that ever again.

These next couple of years are gonna be ugly but at least we know that going in. It's gotta be less disappointing than MSU's ugly 11-12 loss seasons in recent years, with elite recruits up and down the roster and big preseason expectations that weren't met. (Granted, last year doesn't qualify as such because the expectations weren't there, but the 2003, 2004, and 2006 seasons certainly do.)

I wish I could fast-forward Illinois basketball to 2010-2011. McCamey, Tisdale, Cole and Davis will be seniors (unless any of them go pro early; probably not that likely, but it isn't inconceivable that any of them except Cole develop into someone who could be a first-rounder after their junior year). The three badass '09 guards- D.J. Richardson, Brandon Paul, Joseph Bertrand- will have a year under their belt, and Jereme Richmond will be the instant impact star to be the final piece to the puzzle.

This rotation:

PG: McCamey (Sr.)/Jordan (Sr.)
G: Richardson (So.)/Bertrand (So.)
G: Paul (So.)/Richmond (Fr.)Bertrand (So.)
F: Richmond (Fr.)/Davis (Sr.)/Cole (Sr.)
C: Tisdale (Sr.)/Simpson (Jr.)

Sounds like a winner to me.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: