Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
lil_watz
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: #1 Ohio State v. #2 LSU in BCS Championship Game

I agree with the statement that Hawaii has played no one and on top of that they barely pulled off some of the wins. I think I heard that they were around 115th or somewhere around that number in strength of schedule. However lets not count them out yet. I remember telling my dad last season that Boise State was going to get killed in their bowl game and that they could see what it was like to play a real game, and as you all know, I ate my words. I am not disagreeing with you, but there is that slim chance.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #17
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
Illinois can definitely get to a BCS Title game, the Big Ten is weak. Plus, they've got a great recruiting class and Mendenhall will be back next year, along with Juice, I believe.
history says no. MI will bounce back as will wisconsin. OH state is still very good (obviously) and will continue to be. Iowa will be back in form. Ill will never be better than the middle fo the big ten pack (year in and year out). Chambana (hey at least you guys have one of only 4 antonio's pizzas)
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #18
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
history says no. MI will bounce back as will wisconsin. OH state is still very good (obviously) and will continue to be. Iowa will be back in form. Ill will never be better than the middle fo the big ten pack (year in and year out). Chambana (hey at least you guys have one of only 4 antonio's pizzas)
Michigan and Wisconsin were solid in the conference this year and it didn't keep Illinois from going to a BCS game. If you look at Michigan this year, it's more or less what they've been all decade. They aren't a dominant program, and a couple Rose Bowls aside haven't been since they won the national title.

Illinois won't be Ohio State/Michigan-type elite, but they're set up better to be the No. 3 team in the conference, who can annually compete for conference titles, go to BCS games and possibly even contend for a national title, than anyone else in the league. Penn State's slipping toward mediocrity and will continue to until Paterno retires. Wisconsin pretty much is what they are. A rock-solid program that has a glass ceiling because they don't recruit enough elite talent. Iowa's run came and went. Ferentz should take the next big-time job that comes calling, whether it's Michigan, the NFL or whatever else, if he can get a chance.

Illinois has the strongest talent bases to recruit from, not only with the Chicagoland talent but pipelines in D.C. and Florida, and has maybe the nation's best recruiter. As long as Zook is here, talent will be here.

History may say no, but history hasn't seen a recruiter like Zook at a place like Illinois, either. Illinois has long been thought to be a sleeping giant, and maybe Zook woke it up.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
SCY
Put yr guns up

Forget the two-team from a conference rule, Kansas being over Missouri is outrageous. They lost the head to head matchup a f'ing week ago.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
We could win a national title and not live up to what Dee, Deron and Luther did. Those guys were once in a lifetime, and we may never see three better veteran guards on one team like that ever again.

These next couple of years are gonna be ugly but at least we know that going in. It's gotta be less disappointing than MSU's ugly 11-12 loss seasons in recent years, with elite recruits up and down the roster and big preseason expectations that weren't met. (Granted, last year doesn't qualify as such because the expectations weren't there, but the 2003, 2004, and 2006 seasons certainly do.)

I wish I could fast-forward Illinois basketball to 2010-2011. McCamey, Tisdale, Cole and Davis will be seniors (unless any of them go pro early; probably not that likely, but it isn't inconceivable that any of them except Cole develop into someone who could be a first-rounder after their junior year). The three badass '09 guards- D.J. Richardson, Brandon Paul, Joseph Bertrand- will have a year under their belt, and Jereme Richmond will be the instant impact star to be the final piece to the puzzle.

This rotation:

PG: McCamey (Sr.)/Jordan (Sr.)
G: Richardson (So.)/Bertrand (So.)
G: Paul (So.)/Richmond (Fr.)Bertrand (So.)
F: Richmond (Fr.)/Davis (Sr.)/Cole (Sr.)
C: Tisdale (Sr.)/Simpson (Jr.)

Sounds like a winner to me.

Next season:

Lucas/Walton/Lucious
Allen/Summers/Dahlman
Morgan/Green
Roe/Gray
Suton/Ibok/Herzog

That team will be even better than this year's team.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: