Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here
Default Help: I suck at 2k8

Here's the situation:

I'm not a gamer.

The last time I played a video game was NBA live 05' on the PS2 and I was never hardcore, just a casual semi solid player. Before that, it was NBA live yearly.

Recently bought the 360 and realized how tough games have become in the sense that each one practically has a learning curve.

Can anyone help me out with 2k8? I want to at least contend at the hall of fame level.

I'd appreciate any tip at all.

Thanks.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #2
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Help: I suck at 2k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
Here's the situation:

I'm not a gamer.

The last time I played a video game was NBA live 05' on the PS2 and I was never hardcore, just a casual semi solid player. Before that, it was NBA live yearly.

Recently bought the 360 and realized how tough games have become in the sense that each one practically has a learning curve.

Can anyone help me out with 2k8? I want to at least contend at the hall of fame level.

Thanks.

Practice makes perfect. Especially if you haven't played since the Genesis days. Realize that you're a beginner and start off at the easiest difficulty. Try playing practice mode so you can practice shooting with the analog stick until it becomes routine. If worse comes to worse, try using a team with a strong interior presence and work on feeding it down low--using the agressive button, you can get a lot of easy dunks with players such as Garnett, D-Ho, and Yao.

Also, one thing that you can exploit is the drive and kick out. Tap the agressive button and your player will do a little crossover and usually fake out the defender, especially on lower difficulties. Drive right past him and kick it out to an open teammate when their defender leaves to guard you. I use it all day with Marbury driving and kicking to either Q-Rich or Jamaal Crawford.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Here's the situation:

I'm not a gamer.

Thanks.
i'll see what i can do..right after i get through level 3 on strawberry shortcake on my daughters game boy...those whipped cream mushrooms are killing me
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rock3ts
Practice makes perfect. Especially if you haven't played since the Genesis days. Realize that you're a beginner and start off at the easiest difficulty. Try playing practice mode so you can practice shooting with the analog stick until it becomes routine. If worse comes to worse, try using a team with a strong interior presence and work on feeding it down low--using the agressive button, you can get a lot of easy dunks with players such as Garnett, D-Ho, and Yao.

Also, one thing that you can exploit is the drive and kick out. Tap the agressive button and your player will do a little crossover and usually fake out the defender, especially on lower difficulties. Drive right past him and kick it out to an open teammate when their defender leaves to guard you. I use it all day with Marbury driving and kicking to either Q-Rich or Jamaal Crawford.

Not genesis dude, PS2!

but thanks for the advice.

By aggressive button, do you mean the one to make you go faster? And is there a crossover button?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i'll see what i can do..right after i get through level 3 on strawberry shortcake on my daughters game boy...those whipped cream mushrooms are killing me

Bastard!!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Not genesis dude, PS2!

but thanks for the advice.

By aggressive button, do you mean the one to make you go faster? And is there a crossover button?

Haha, whoops, I thought it said NBA Live '95. But yeah, that's the agressive button. You can hold it down for turbo and power moves around the basket (also more agressive steals and blocks on the defensive end) or tap it with your ball handler and he'll do a crossover. Not a devastating one, but it's the only one you can do in the game.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here

Try the jump stop into the lane, so you are a few feet away from the hoop, and lay-up or dunk. Drove my brother crazy because it was unstoppable.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMosɘs
Try the jump stop into the lane, so you are a few feet away from the hoop, and lay-up or dunk. Drove my brother crazy because it was unstoppable.

Good call, I use that all the time...even just doing it to get open for a close jumper in traffic...works almost every time.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rock3ts
Haha, whoops, I thought it said NBA Live '95. But yeah, that's the agressive button. You can hold it down for turbo and power moves around the basket (also more agressive steals and blocks on the defensive end) or tap it with your ball handler and he'll do a crossover. Not a devastating one, but it's the only one you can do in the game.

Great, thanks and keep em coming!

Does everyone set a play before every offensive and defensive possession? And what's the best way to play D?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #10
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here

You said you want to be able to play of HoF level? Really your best plan would be to start at easy, or whatever it is, and work your way up. I can't possibly imagine that you would suck at easy.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #11
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Great, thanks and keep em coming!

Does everyone set a play before every offensive and defensive possession? And what's the best way to play D?

If you have a quick shotblocker (think ak47 or Josh Smith) on your team, it's fun to zone 2-1-2 while playing as the shotblocker. Patrol the interior of the "box" created by the other 4 defenders. Basically the other 4 players will funnel everything into the middle of the key and you'll be able to erase any shots that go in there. The one drawback is that it the other side can occasionally rack up the offensive rebounds if they decide to shoot over the zone.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #12
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
If you have a quick shotblocker (think ak47 or Josh Smith) on your team, it's fun to zone 2-1-2 while playing as the shotblocker. Patrol the interior of the "box" created by the other 4 defenders. Basically the other 4 players will funnel everything into the middle of the key and you'll be able to erase any shots that go in there. The one drawback is that it the other side can occasionally rack up the offensive rebounds if they decide to shoot over the zone.

Thanks buddy, but we're Laker fans remember? And the best c0ckblocker we've got is Mitch Kupchack!

And moses: I win on easy level. If I couldn't I would have to throw the box.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #13
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

make sure you don't fall in love with post play. it'll get you buckets all day long against the computer but once you play a human being who catches on to your tricks you'll have more turnovers than buckets with your post presence.

my advice is to not resort to cheap tricks, instead learn all the plays the game has to offer. don't worry if you struggle; it's better to struggle and learn the game the right way than to fall in love with scoring in the post every time and end up getting pounded when your skills are put to the test.

I speak from personal experience.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Thanks buddy, but we're Laker fans remember? And the best c0ckblocker we've got is Mitch Kupchack!

Whenever I start a season w/ LA, I always get rid of the players I don't like and trade for those I do like. Smith is my favorite non-Laker, so I end up trading for him about 90% of the time.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 AM   #15
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
make sure you don't fall in love with post play. it'll get you buckets all day long against the computer but once you play a human being who catches on to your tricks you'll have more turnovers than buckets with your post presence.

my advice is to not resort to cheap tricks, instead learn all the plays the game has to offer. don't worry if you struggle; it's better to struggle and learn the game the right way than to fall in love with scoring in the post every time and end up getting pounded when your skills are put to the test.

I speak from personal experience.

I've never used an actual play (apart from setting screens) in a videogame in my life, do you use one every possession? And how many different plays do you use in a game? Ballpark.

Thanks man.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: