Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
qrich
King Heno

Default Euro 2008 Groups Set:

Group A:
Switzerland
Turkey
Portugal
Czech Republic

Portugal should be the favorite for this group, but I wouldn't count out any of the other squads, mainly the Swiss. Rosicky has to play huge for the Czech's.

Group B:
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Germany is obviously the favorite here, but the co-hosts, Austria, can't be overlooked. Croatia and Poland will both have their hands full here.

Group C[Group of Death]:
Romania
Netherlands|Holland
France
Italy

Is obviously the toughest group in the entire tournament with the defending World Champs and the runner-ups in France/Italia, but also another good squad in the Netherlands. Romania has been playing very good football recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to somehow sneak in.

Group D:
Greece
Sweden
Spain
Russia

Spain should win this group easily, but Russia and Greece might have something to say about it. Sweden really needs to play at the top of their games to be able to make it.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Euro 2008 Groups Set:

hmm Im in the mood for some soccer. Ill continue to cheer for Switzerland, nice to see them hosting it. Do two teams from each pool advance?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Been a fan of Germany since I was very young. Don't know why. I've just always liked them. Go Germany!
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
hmm Im in the mood for some soccer. Ill continue to cheer for Switzerland, nice to see them hosting it. Do two teams from each pool advance?

Yup, the group winners and runner-ups advance. Here's the knock-out stages:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2008#Knockout_stage

So if the Swiss do end up in second in group A which is the most likely scenario, then they have to face the winner of Group B, most likely Spain in the Knock-Outs.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

my picks:
group a - 1. portugal - 2. czech
the czechs are underrated

group b - 1. germany - 2. poland
germany takes this easily, poland will suprise... with skulls that big expect some huge headers

group c - 1. italy - 2. nederlands
italy has to be the favourite in this group... and the orange shirts will suprise france and take 2nd...

group d - 1. spain - 2. sweden
spain is the clear favourite, the swedes are gonna hurt people this year.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Sharas
Great college starter

many, many things can change for better or worse 7 months from now...but here we go, my initial predictions:

a: portugal probably has too much for others, other place is a tossup between czech and switzerland...although if i have to predict, i'll say swiss because they do have an excellent young squad that did well at WC, they can only get better, plus the home soil advantage.

b: germany and croatia. poles always play well through qualifications but disappoint at the big stage, and just class-wise, they can't touch neither germany nor croatia. and austria, although they're co-hosts, are IMO by far weakest squad in the competition.

c: italy will pass, but the other place? france has all the big guns, but they aren't really playing well as a team, and have a crappy coach. romania can certainly surprise them as they're playing some excellent football lately, especially on the offensive. a potential darkhorse, pity that they didn't get an easier group. and very young but talented holland can't be ruled out either, although i think they need more maturity and experience.

d: spain will probably pass...as for the others, both sweden and russia had crap showings in the qualifications, and frankly, aren't good as advertised. especially russia.
so i say greece gets the second spot in this group, they play boring but efficient mark of football.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: