Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Gasol on his way to the bulls?

Rumours of Gasol leaving have been around all season,but it seems that they will trade him.possibly for nocioni,tyus thomas and some 1st round picks.According to a spanish newspaper anyway.His numbers have certainly gone down big time.20.8 ppg and 9.8 rpg to 16.6 and 7.5 .
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gasol on his way to the bulls?

If Memphis is going to continue playing this way, trading him and get all they can is the best thing the team can do.

What I don't understand is why Iavaroni wanted so bad to retain Gasol this summer, if he knew he was gonna play this way. Memphis would have got a better trade in preseason than now.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

I can see a trade happening sooner or later if things continue this way, but who of you think Memphis would trade him to the Bulls?

Trading Gasol means you want to fully rebuild the team around a very young core. Gay and (guessing) Conley should be that basic core, with Lowry and Kinsey helping, and then Darko. Plus draft picks.

For me only Ben Gordon is really useful, because Mike Miller should be traded as well and I don't think Navarro will stay next season (he will probably get a really good contract next year).

Neither Thomas nor Nocioni are for me valid for the rebuilding project. Nocioni is not a player for the future. I don't like Thomas at all, he is not skilled and will not evolve to anything better than he is now IMO. And no expirer contract to get some cap space in next couple of years. So just relying in the draft again and again.

Since I don't see Gordon out of Chicago, I think there's no way that Memphis would pull the trigger. But if the decission to trade Pau is already taken, which do you think should be the best team to make the deal?
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree with Berraco, Memphis are in a rebuilding phase and Chicago don't have much to offer and the talent they do have, which is actually worth anything, they won't let anyone near, so basically, In my opinion, the doors are shut on Chicago. Memphis should look else where, where they can pick up some young talent and maybe a draft pick up two. Preferably a young big man, who can work with Darko.

Sidenote: This talk of trading Gasol is quite disheartening, mainly because it reminds me of the absolute lack of talent at the 5 spot and it will probably remain that way for quite a few years and that we have one of the best 4/5's in the league.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

I dont know im just tired of all this.The grizz need a real point guard.If they want to be like the suns they need a nash like point guard.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I dont know im just tired of all this.The grizz need a real point guard.If they want to be like the suns they need a nash like point guard.
Easier said then done. Nash is one of the best, if not the best PG in the league. Trying to get a player like him would be extremely hard, even trying to find a player who carries a similar style to him would be hard.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
berraco
Darko The Ripper

I still think Conley is the PG of the future for Memphis, but that will need time. And I can not find a proven PG that could fit the system and would be available via trade. What to get in return for Pau? I just see a Shawn Marion type of player or a good SG, and get rid of Mike Miller also to fill the other spot (or maybe the C). But I don't see an easy trade in any case, so I would be after an expirer contract (e.g Kwame Brown + Luke Walton) in return to free cap room for next season or the following. Next draft class is said to be full of talent and there would be money to get a good free agent. Look at Portland, they are building a team that would be a potential contender in very few years (Oden+Aldridge+Roy+next draft picks + cap space). I think it would be the way.

Last edited by berraco : 12-10-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

My problem with people wanting Gasol out is the following.When Gasol came to grizz they were ****e.He lead in points rebounds and almost assists too ,got the grizz to the playoffs 3 times.Now that Gay is the man the team aren't that good.Gay needs 20 shots+ft's to get 25 points,Gasol would get 25 with maybe 12 shots and a few ft's.So many more shots available for other players.when they played through Gasol the outside shooters got better looks too.I haven't looked but i am pretty certain that 3pt percentage has gone down.So Gasol has done a lot for this team.When you run your whole offence on an inside player you are going to get easier basket and lots of good looks from outside.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
My problem with people wanting Gasol out is the following.When Gasol came to grizz they were ****e.He lead in points rebounds and almost assists too ,got the grizz to the playoffs 3 times.Now that Gay is the man the team aren't that good.Gay needs 20 shots+ft's to get 25 points,Gasol would get 25 with maybe 12 shots and a few ft's.So many more shots available for other players.when they played through Gasol the outside shooters got better looks too.I haven't looked but i am pretty certain that 3pt percentage has gone down.So Gasol has done a lot for this team.When you run your whole offence on an inside player you are going to get easier basket and lots of good looks from outside.
That's why I prefer big players and that's why teams look to build around a big man. Personally I like Gay, but I agree with what you said, he needs too many shot attempts to produce something, where as Pau doesn't need as many shot attempts but can still score just as much if not more than Gay. That's also the reason I do don't like the new style Memphis run, sure the run and gun is good and, like others said before, Gay and Miller thrive on the break, but Pau is most effective in the half court and Ivaroni can't expect the Grizz to run every damn play. Not only will the players get extremely tired running all the time, but when they face a team with good defense the Grizzlies look lost and most of the time just jack up a three.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
berraco
Darko The Ripper

I fully agree with both of you, but I don't really see Iavaroni changing his mind (mainly because I'm not confident he would be a good coach for halfcourt plays). And I don't see the Grizzlies management firing Iavaroni after his first year.

I would love to see Pau staying, but let's face it, if things don't improve soon Pau is going to ask for the trade again. Wether it is worth to trade him during or after the season is something that escapes to my knowledge. I don't know how the market will be next post-season. I was just making a guess on which would be the best situation for the Grizzlies if the trade happens today.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

What about Gerald Wallace for Gasol?
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
What about Gerald Wallace for Gasol?

No way IMO. Even liking Wallace, Rudy is the SF for the future, and he should be the man if Gasol leaves. Memphis GM would be crazy wasting the best bullet to get a player for a spot already covered by their future team leader. And his contract is not good for Memphis, also.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

His contract is actually cheap by todays standards. Also hes basically been playing primarily PF for Charlotte.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #14
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

If the Grizzlies are gonna trade Pau Gasol, I think they need to get another big man in return. Joakim Noah or Tyrus Thomas would be good additions. With Noah, Darko would be free to break out on offense and possibly become the man.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
If the Grizzlies are gonna trade Pau Gasol, I think they need to get another big man in return. Joakim Noah or Tyrus Thomas would be good additions. With Noah, Darko would be free to break out on offense and possibly become the man.
If the Darko became the man I'd love this team even more than I do now. And if Kinsey became a starting SG I'd porbably die of an OD of Memphis pride.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: