Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Ryu VS Guile

I would also like to add, that Ken is better against Sagat than Ryu. Ken's dragon punch is much faster and has more priority (making it much easier to counter a Tiger Uppercut or tiger shots.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #17
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I hated playing people that did that to me, but couldn't talk because that's exactly what I also did, just like in basketball games, I just drain tre

Remember "Double Dribble" from NES? All you had to do was make 2 quick passes and launch treys from the baseline. They would go in 95% of the time I kid you not.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ryu wins easily. His moves doesn't take time to charge like Guile, he can throw nonstop fireballs and Guiled is fked with his slow Sonic Booms, he can play keep away and avoid Guile deadly flashkick together. And if guile attack, firepunch for the win.

I'm deadly with Ryu/Ken in this game... and all my friends hate my cheap keep away tactics.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #19
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Ryu is a great entry level fighter because all his moves are easy to learn and adapt to, Guile is a more skill intensive fighter even though has has less moves than Ryu, with that said Ryu by a mile hehehe, first as someone pointed out his huricane kick goes thru the sonic boom but also Ryu hop kick (forward+medium kick) also goes through the projectile. Aside from the dragon punch Ryu has 2 effective anti-aerial counters, crouching fierce punch and standing fierce kick. Ryu also has a great combo starter because his jumping fierce kick does a cross-up and needs to be blocked from the reverse angle.

Btw: If there was ever a screwed matchup Balrog(boxer) totally owns Guile his standing fierce punch trades with the sonic boom but with bigger damage.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #20
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn

Btw: If there was ever a screwed matchup Balrog(boxer) totally owns Guile his standing fierce punch trades with the sonic boom but with bigger damage.
Not if the Guile player was me

All you have to do is throw sonic boom, and trip him when he jumps over it. You obviously want to stay low fighting balroq and use your trips to keep his power moves at bay. Guile is deadly with his elbow extension move with fierce punch and beats out a charging Balroq too...

Balroq is really weak in SF2, unless the computer goes cheap and continuously does his power moves without charging. You can also say fk you to the computer and use Honda and his arm slap the entire match, and Balroq can't hurt you at all. His jumps are too low and won't make it.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #21
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:

mhsbasketball has decent reputation

wizardly cool=legend of josh
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan

All you have to do is throw sonic boom, and trip him when he jumps over it. You obviously want to stay low fighting balroq and use your trips to keep his power moves at bay. Guile is deadly with his elbow extension move with fierce punch and beats out a charging Balroq too...

Balroq is really weak in SF2, unless the computer goes cheap and continuously does his power moves without charging. You can also say fk you to the computer and use Honda and his arm slap the entire match, and Balroq can't hurt you at all. His jumps are too low and won't make it.
thats because you dont jump when guile casts sonic boom you just time fierce punch and it trades with the sonic boom with even bigger damage. ANd btw what street fighter incarnation are we talking about here? Im telling you Guile has only a very little chance against a skilled balrog player, another underated fighter whic I play is Dahlsim his crouched fierce punch goes through most projectiles. and is one of the best turtle characters in the game.

Btw Im basing my comments on Capcom vs. SnK 1 and 2 aswell as Streetfighter Alpha series and the newer versions of the game not the original SF 2 game.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #23
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Quote:

Btw Im basing my comments on Capcom vs. SnK 1 and 2 aswell as Streetfighter Alpha series and the newer versions of the game not the original SF 2 game.
I'm just focusing on sf2 since that's the game everyone played. The later versions were more balanced, so the better player usually win. SF2 had many weakness that could be exploit, that's why I love it so much.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #24
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

The Legend of Josh=Sagat?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #25
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Ryu wins easily. His moves doesn't take time to charge like Guile, he can throw nonstop fireballs and Guiled is fked with his slow Sonic Booms, he can play keep away and avoid Guile deadly flashkick together. And if guile attack, firepunch for the win.

I'm deadly with Ryu/Ken in this game... and all my friends hate my cheap keep away tactics.

Keep in mind Guile also has more "reach" with his punches and kicks, kicks especially. If you're playing a zoning Ryu, if you're close enough, you jump over his fireball (Guile jump-forward is very, very quick) you can fierce kick Ryu's face. If Ryu is expecting the jump-forward he can jab-DragonPunch and it's a 50/50 shot at connecting.

Also, players at tournaments have been known to play smart with Guile in the zoning game. If they can't keep up with Ryu's fireballs, you simply jump straight up, charging as you come down... then throw a sonic boom to off-set the next coming fireball. Eventually, the Ryu player will probably try a different tactic... such as doing a hurricane kick where the Guile player is coming down from his straight up jump and is charging down... getting ready for the flash kick to counter Ryu's hurricane kick.

Very high level playing Guile's have been known to give every character in the game issues, including Ryu. When talking about tiers, Guile is # 2 right behind yours truly, Ryu. When this game was created though, Ryu was purposely designed to be the "Guile-killer" without question. He counters most of his moves... but a very smart turtling Guile can keep a good Ryu in check.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #26
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Ryu is a great entry level fighter because all his moves are easy to learn and adapt to, Guile is a more skill intensive fighter even though has has less moves than Ryu, with that said Ryu by a mile hehehe, first as someone pointed out his huricane kick goes thru the sonic boom but also Ryu hop kick (forward+medium kick) also goes through the projectile. Aside from the dragon punch Ryu has 2 effective anti-aerial counters, crouching fierce punch and standing fierce kick. Ryu also has a great combo starter because his jumping fierce kick does a cross-up and needs to be blocked from the reverse angle.

You're right; Ryu is a very ideal entry level character. However, to master Ryu takes massive experience playing. Ken is the more appealing shoto, because he's faster and has more priority (offensive powerhouse, weak defensively), whereas Ryu is a more skilled defensive player (zoning) and is also stronger than Ken (defense & offense = great).

Ryu doesn't have a single bad match-up in the game. No other character can say that. Sagat and Guile, both dominant characters (very high tier) have a handful of bad match-ups.

*** Keep in mind I'm talking about all SF series up until Super Turbo ***

SF III... Alpha Max... etc... garbage.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #27
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:

Balrog is Hyper Fighting is weak. Balrog in Super Turbo is a beast. Balrog is upgraded in Super Turbo... whereas characters like E.Honda and Blanka are downgraded. If you look at the history of Super Turbo tournaments... you'll find that Balrog players have won more than any other character outside of Ryu... and ironically, Japanese players love to use Balrog (boxer) more than those of us here who played in the West.

Balrog's charging turn-punch goes through projectiles. This makes him very effective against shotos (Ryu and Ken), however against Guile it's not quite the same. The only way to really beat a good turtling Guile is to get close to Guile, which is hard to begin with, then if you do, you must watch out for the light kick Flashkick, which is also hard to counter as Guile can land and block very quickly. In Super Turbo, Balrog has a low sweeping hook, which counters Guile's turtling style.

I never really enjoyed using Balrog, and I do well against him, but there are some damn fine Balrog players out there who have beat me on a consistent basis in tournaments. Using Sagat, I could usually do well against great Balrog players, but when using Ryu or Blanka, Balrogs would eat me alive.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #28
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
I'm just focusing on sf2 since that's the game everyone played. The later versions were more balanced, so the better player usually win. SF2 had many weakness that could be exploit, that's why I love it so much.

The later versions were much less balanced, which is why most SF fans hate games like Alpha, Capcom VS SNK ... etc.

The two most balanced games are Hyper Fighting and Super Turbo, even with the tick-throws and small glitches that were not intended when the original code was created.

Hyper Fighting is by far the greatest and most balanced fighting game, and is the fighter of choice in tournaments.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #29
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

thread semi-related

most amazing SF clip i've seen
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #30
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster

J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: