Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #16
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Actually any1 that followed Manu this year could see that coming..And if were judging y 2 games if Manu keep up that pace he would be a top 7 player in the league.. The point is judging from a 2 game stretch is dumb

It's not "dumb" at all. We don't know how long Duncan is going to be out, and since him being out seems to be a phenomenon, there should be no problem reminding people what I said earlier in the year.

Listen, I admitted he isn't going to shoot 38% for an entire year, but I'm explaining why his stats are inflated due to his perfect surroundings (kind of like how people argue Nash's stats are inflated due to his system). Without Duncan, Parker just isn't this ultra-elite guard people think he is.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever
 
A Roc 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,380
A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

We're talking about a guy who has been shooting 53% the beginning of the 2005/2006 season.

And how can you simply dismiss the Blazer game where he played an amazing game without Duncan there for the most part? Because they have poor interior defense? So does half of the league, but you don't see many other guards scoring 27 points on 73% FG.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #18
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,393
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Roc 23
He also had 27 points and 8 assists on 73% FG the game that Duncan left in the first and never came back.


Lol, it's been a while since I've seen someone so summarily dismissed. Good point.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
Did Parker **** your mom or something? Where did all this hate stem from? Not disagreeing with you, just curious.
Visited Texas for about 6 months in 2005, people there believe Parker is more valuable to the team in Duncan; this was the thought process in Austin at least. I picture it only got worse since then.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #20
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever
 
A Roc 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,380
A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Visited Texas for about 6 months in 2005, people there believe Parker is more valuable to the team in Duncan; this was the thought process in Austin at least. I picture it only got worse since then.

Well that's obviously flawed.

But making a statement like "he won't break 44% without Duncan" is almost as flawed.

How does an all-star player, who is one of the best point guards at getting in the paint with momentum, drop 8% or more field goal % by simply removing a single player? It wouldn't happen.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #21
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,275
Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Spurs are 2-0 without Duncan. In essence, Spurs would still win 82 games without Duncan in the regular season. Explain why this is flawed. Once you can explain this, you will be able to explain why your own reasoning is flawed...
It's funny that the OP didn't respond to this. Probably because he couldn't.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #22
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Lol, it's been a while since I've seen someone so summarily dismissed. Good point.
Yeah, a blowout Portland game proves everything. Or does it?

Here look:

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/gamece...0071202_POR@SA

Play by play what happened. Parker already had 4 assists and 10 points in the first quarter. Therefore in the next three quarters (without Duncan), he put up 16/4. And he did it against Portland in a huge blowout. Okay, props?

Again, he's not "horrible", but that doesn't dismiss or change the fact Duncan severely changes the way Parker plays.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #23
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
It's funny that the OP didn't respond to this. Probably because he couldn't.
It's illogical to respond to. No one said at the beginning of the season said: "If Duncan goes down, they would be undefeated"

I did however, say "If we see Duncan go down, Parker would be not nearly as effective on the court as he is WITH Duncan".

There, refuted. Not difficult. and it shouldn't be a revolutionary thought. But people today are so damn defensive of Parker, he can't be attacked.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #24
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,393
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
It's not "dumb" at all.

It's a 2 game sample. Far too small a sample to draw any conclusions. 2 made shots in both of those games and he would be shooting 50%.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #25
despurs
High School JV MVP
 
despurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 352
despurs has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

So because some stupid people in Austin said Parker is better than Duncan you hate Parker now?
despurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #26
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,393
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Yeah, a blowout Portland game proves everything. Or does it?

Here look:

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/gamece...0071202_POR@SA

Play by play what happened. Parker already had 4 assists and 10 points in the first quarter. Therefore in the next three quarters (without Duncan), he put up 16/4. And he did it against Portland in a huge blowout. Okay, props?

Again, he's not "horrible", but that doesn't dismiss or change the fact Duncan severely changes the way Parker plays.

So if, over the course of the next few games without Duncan, his shooting percentage increases to normal levels, what will be your argument?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #27
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,906
Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
It's a 2 game sample. Far too small a sample to draw any conclusions. 2 made shots in both of those games and he would be shooting 50%.
That's a pretty impactful statement. Just shows how meaningless a 2 game span is to judge upon.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #28
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by despurs
So because some stupid people in Austin said Parker is better than Duncan you hate Parker now?
You don't get it. These "people" shoved so much sh*t down my throat and kissed his ass so much (going as far as saying "carrying" the spurs) and overrating his woman Longoria so much I eventually abandoned them completely.

God damn, the guy frankly pisses me off more than anyone in the league.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #29
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
So if, over the course of the next few games without Duncan, his shooting percentage increases to normal levels, what will be your argument?
It would be proven I would be wrong, and I'd accept it.

But it doesn't matter since it won't happen.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #30
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Parker is shooting 38.8% without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
That's a pretty impactful statement. Just shows how meaningless a 2 game span is to judge upon.
Except that logic is flawed as well. "Just think if you hit two more shots every game the entire season, you'd shoot 50%!"

Doesn't mean much.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy