Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 12-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default Frustrated Grizz Fan

What is wrong with this team? I haven't watched any Griz games this season so I wouldn't know. I was so high on the additions of Darko, Conley and JCN and I hoped the Griz would fight for the 8th seed in the west. Instead they suck so bad in the W/L department.

Why is gasol not leading the team in shots taken? Why is damon still starting? Why did they draft conley so high when they wouldn't play him if he could?

gasolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Frustrated Grizz Fan

I'm wondering the same things. It's very annoying seeing this team go out and lose the way they are. I seriously think Ivaroni should drop the run and gun style of play and start running alot more half court plays instead of just jacking up 3's when they can't break.

I don't think Conley is going to get significant playing time until either Damon goes down with an injury or not until late in the season when we know where we stand. But I also think Damon is getting too old now and that Ivaroni should be playing Lowry and Conley above Damon.

Darko was an unproven star. Larry Brown pretty much took away all of his confidence in Detroit and it's going to take some time before he gets that back. It's a good job he went to Orlando before he came to Memphis, because if he came to Memphis straight from Detroit, we'd be screwed.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

I think the biggest reason the Grizzlies have struggled is the PG position.
With nobody to lead the break and make plays in the halfcourt the Grizz are pretty limited as a run and gun team.

They do not need to change their style. They aren't a good defensive team and slowing down the pace will hurt their offense too. Rudy Gay and Mike Miller thrive in transition.

When Mike Conley returns and gets starter minutes things should start to turn around.

One thing to note, Pau prefers the halfcourt style of play. If the Grizz are still losing next season I think he's got to go.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

That's the thing. Pau is Memphis' best man. Yet Iavaroni doesn't seems to care about maximizing his strenghts.

Conley wasn't doing much prior to his injury, so the odds of anything changing in a significant way at his return are pretty low.

Memphis has players that thrive in the open court, namely Miller, Lowry, Gay & Navarro. But none of them is consistent enough to rely on as main option, neither do they have a quality PG to effectively run the show (look at successful run & gun teams). Sorry Kyle / Damon. Maybe Conley and Lowry in a couple of years, but they are too young as of now.

Still, Memphis is at it's best when they get the Run&Gun to work. Unfortunately, they are very inconsistent in doing so -doing it just for short stretches-, and Grizzlies look lost when they are forced to play a halfcourt set. Either Pau goes for a tough shot -because of a lack of a good offensive scheme- or even worse, other players jack up a contested 3 believing they are still running.

Gay and Lowry are very good penetrators, Miller and Navarro can easily hit the open J and Pau can go tough inside. But none of this is showcased when forced to a halfcourt set because Iavaroni seems to have convinced his team they can only run & gun.

I agree run and gun isn't a bad idea, because certainly the team thrives when they are getting it to work. But Iavaroni has to realize that with this players they can't effectively do it all the time, and even more important, that he can and should use his best man when forced to a half court set. Not just improvise in the halfcourt, but have offensive schemes to maximize his players' strengths -because he has very decent tools to work in the halfcourt-.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 AM   #5
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Post Re: Frustrated Grizz Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
That's the thing. Pau is Memphis' best man. Yet Iavaroni doesn't seems to care about maximizing his strenghts.

Conley wasn't doing much prior to his injury, so the odds of anything changing in a significant way at his return are pretty low.

Memphis has players that thrive in the open court, namely Miller, Lowry, Gay & Navarro. But none of them is consistent enough to rely on as main option, neither do they have a quality PG to effectively run the show (look at successful run & gun teams). Sorry Kyle / Damon. Maybe Conley and Lowry in a couple of years, but they are too young as of now.

Still, Memphis is at it's best when they get the Run&Gun to work. Unfortunately, they are very inconsistent in doing so -doing it just for short stretches-, and Grizzlies look lost when they are forced to play a halfcourt set. Either Pau goes for a tough shot -because of a lack of a good offensive scheme- or even worse, other players jack up a contested 3 believing they are still running.

Gay and Lowry are very good penetrators, Miller and Navarro can easily hit the open J and Pau can go tough inside. But none of this is showcased when forced to a halfcourt set because Iavaroni seems to have convinced his team they can only run & gun.

I agree run and gun isn't a bad idea, because certainly the team thrives when they are getting it to work. But Iavaroni has to realize that with this players they can't effectively do it all the time, and even more important, that he can and should use his best man when forced to a half court set. Not just improvise in the halfcourt, but have offensive schemes to maximize his players' strengths -because he has very decent tools to work in the halfcourt-.

Co-sign. You can be a really good run&gun team, but sometimes the opponent doesn't allow you to play that way. And with the weapons we have inside the paint (Pau, Darko and even Stro, who seems to be much more confident this year) the Grizz should be better than they are today. It seems to me that Iavaroni learned only half the lesson during his years with D'Antoni. There is a lack of plays called in halfcourt offense, so the guys inside are just going mad to find a way to touch the ball because they don't know what's going to happen next! Pau is struggling because of this. Darko is not going to improve because of this. And the team end up being worse each day because everybody is losing their confindence. Iavaroni needs to change his and their mind.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Last night Gay had a lot more fga than Gasol again.

Its a waste to pay Gasol what he's earning only to be a 2nd banana to Gay. Memphis was a 50 win team with Hubie / Fratello. Though we replaced Battier with Gay, I still believe the team we have now is a lot better.

We were starting Lorenzen freakin' Wright when we had a 50 win team!!!!

I guess the only way I can make the grizz run a halfcourt set and win is with nba 2k8
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

I dont know.We just cant close games. If you change a few things.We would have like four more wins and four less losses.People would be happy with us being 10-11.Instead no call here and no defense there.Now we suck.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I watched last nights game (which is a story in it's own right, since I live in England) and when Memphis couldn't run the break they seemed extrememly lost, even Pau at times seemed a bit lost out there. But I agree with jailer, those small things are costing us games, it's not like we are getting completely blown out in games, we stand a good chance of winning some if not most of the games we have lost and it's the small things that when the go wrong causes a downhill momentum that just keeps rolling and we end up losing a game we easily had the potential to win.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
berraco
Darko The Ripper

It could seem to be the small things, but I think that's not the reality. Yeah, they were so close in 4 or 5 games. But why these small things always happen against them? Because they play no defense. Because they have no halfcourt game. And that is what makes the small things fall to your side. The Grizzlies are becoming an extremely unidimensional team that only can think of running even when they know it isn't possible. They are forgetting about 2/3 of basketball fundamentals. I would say that, in average, that costs you to be lost in the court almost half of the game every day, because your opponent will try to slow down the tempo. So even with much better players than before (and I really think the roster has really improved) they are not going to be a winning team. They will win games, but I would not bet they could reach 35 wins at the end. I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but that's what I feel.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I think that's how most of us feel at the moment. I'm sure most of us, if not all, were damn optimistic going into the season, I know I certainly was, but now it seems like they just aren't going to be doing anything better than they are now. Personally I think more half court plays should be implemented in to game, get the ball inside to Pau and Darko. We all know both of them are perfectly able to play the post and play it well, very well infact, Ivaroni knows that they can play the post very well, he just isn't using them the way they should be used.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

The question is if the coach will realize or not. Sadly, I bet the answer will be negative.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Whats funny is that everyone wanted to run.Now that is not working.Everyone just wants to win.Which was boring before but at least we won games.Pau is better in the half court.And both active point guards are better suited for half court.We should slow it down until this gels together enough to run.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Whats funny is that everyone wanted to run.Now that is not working.Everyone just wants to win.Which was boring before but at least we won games.Pau is better in the half court.And both active point guards are better suited for half court.We should slow it down until this gels together enough to run.
Sounds good to me. Pau works better and is most effective in the half court, I know it's getting repetitive, but it's true.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #14
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer

I still think this team can play an up-tempo style, but they need to be more smart. Right now they just run like a greyhound in the dogtrack. You cannot be running all the time if you have Pau and Darko in the court. You can run a lot with these two bigs there though if you play good defense. When you can not run you need to have a set of half court plays prepared for that situation. But these half court plays can be also very quick plays because if Memphis put the ball in the paint they have three gunners outside, so the help defense will be minimized (and then the bigs have a lot of space to operate) or the perimeter players would have a lot of open looks. So even in halfcourt you can set a very high pace.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Game tonight vs. the clippers. Hopefully they would show it in some sopcasts. We've been in full strength for a long time now and its time to win.

Gasol > Caveman

If we lose this game then I don't know what I'd do
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: