Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
vagabond
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default New Zealand vs Brasil

Unforetunately it looks like New Zealand has carried on it's forth quarter issues from the test series against Australia to Brasil.

http://www.basketball.org.nz/

losing another game after being competitive for the 1st 3 quarters.

One positive out of the series so far being Penny carving up for 28, 28 and 25 points in the 1st 3 tests.

Any Ideas why New Zealand seem to struggle so much in the forth quarter?
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

When they lost to OZ it was poor execution down the stretch, taking bad shots etc.
Playing Brazil is a big challenge and although losing isn't a goal, they have been improving with each game and will hopefully gain some momentum towards the World Championships.
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:17 AM   #3
vagabond

The Tall Blacks do seem to be getting more competitive in each game of this series but, thats just going by articles and reports, haven't had a chance to see the games, and see if they're just playing badly of just getting beaten by a better team.

The 4th quarter of both the last two games NZ seemed to have struggled. A poor habit to be falling into.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
lowblok

Sean Marks would really help! I think just one more legitimate big sized body with experience would be better for the team. Also it would be nice to have a point guard who could score regularly just to keep the defence honest.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
marton mofo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblok
Sean Marks would really help! I think just one more legitimate big sized body with experience would be better for the team. Also it would be nice to have a point guard who could score regularly just to keep the defence honest.

Yeah, whats up with him retiring earlier from internationals, he would have done his nba career a favour playin at the worlds. I agree we need our point to at least have a solid three. I hear barbosa has been cuttin up for brazil.
marton mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
barney

My ex-roommate for about 3 1/2 years is Tab Baldwin...coach of the Tall Blacks.

His team is not a full strength right now. And I think eventually athleticism beats the Kiwi's in the fourth quarter.

I went to the WC in Indy in 2002...and NZ was even with Argentina until Marks had his eye raked and had to leave. NZ led the USA at half and then got blown out.

Tab has done truly a remarkable job. Always thought he would be a fine coach.

This may be his last go around with the National Team. I wonder if he will ever come back to the states? I think he would be successful on the D1 level or in the NBA.

In 2002, Basketball Times called Tab the most valuable coach for his creative sets.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
vagabond

I would agree he has done remarkably with a side that is always going to struggle with depth.

With out doubt New Zealand would be a stronger side with Sean, but the reality is everyone retires at some stage. And looking on the brighter side it means that a youngster like bradshaw gets to play more in international compitition which can only help his development.

(and a small wave of the bat for the ton)
Old 07-31-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
lowblok

Anyone see the latest score. We lost 83 - 79.
Damn, just can't close these games out. Atleast Penney is still looking the goods!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
The Great Yeti
I airball my layups

Default ...

Quote:
My ex-roommate for about 3 1/2 years is Tab Baldwin...coach of the Tall Blacks.

His team is not a full strength right now. And I think eventually athleticism beats the Kiwi's in the fourth quarter.

I went to the WC in Indy in 2002...and NZ was even with Argentina until Marks had his eye raked and had to leave. NZ led the USA at half and then got blown out.

Tab has done truly a remarkable job. Always thought he would be a fine coach.

This may be his last go around with the National Team. I wonder if he will ever come back to the states? I think he would be successful on the D1 level or in the NBA.

In 2002, Basketball Times called Tab the most valuable coach for his creative sets.
wow must have been cool staying with him, seems like a pretty good guy. He has deffinately done a great job and put NZ ball on the radar.

Looks like we are slowly improving in the Brazil series. Got Argentina/venezuala next game, should be interesting.
The Great Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
barney

Yea,
Tab and I roomed together for about 3 1/2 years in Montgomery, Alabama. He left an accounting job in Chicago to become a coach, a graduate assistant at NAIA Auburn-Montgomery. I was the schools play-by-play man. Tab made a big sacrifce to become a coach. He gave up a job that paid good money for one that paid hardly any.

Tab left AUM and took an assistants job at Central Florida and stayed there one season and then one day he called me and said he was going to New Zealand. To be honest I thought that was the dumbiest idea I ever heard. I lost track of him for awhile and then one day I was interviewing a high school basketball player who was from New Zealand and I asked her if she had ever heard of Tab and she said yes he was very famous. I searched him on the internet and saw his success with the Auckland Rebels. He came on my radio show several times as a guest.

Word is he might be leaving the National squad:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...2a1823,00.html

Here is the story on last night's lost to Brazil. The Tall Blacks had a tough trip and got very little sleep:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...a12155,00.html

Of course Angola and Spain are in New Zealand's group at the World Champiopnships and here is something I have put together on those two teams.

In Spain, in a pre-World Championship warm-up tourney, the host team and Serbia were first round winners. Spain beat Angola 97-73 and Serbia knocked off China 77-67.

The Grizzlies’ Paul Gasol led Spain with 17 points, hitting 7 of 9 from the field. Younger brother, Marc, who is trying to earn a spot on the 12 man roster in the upcoming World Championships, played 15 minutes and had four points and four rebounds. Spain shot 66% from the field and an incredible 84% on two-point shots (27-32). Spain led 44-37 at half and outscored Angola 53-36 in the second half.

China lost its fourth straight game due to a lack of inside presence. Yao Ming is still re-happing his injured foot while Wang Zhizhi, tore a ligament in his right knee during an exhibition game in France on Sunday, putting his participation for the worlds in doubt.

"I have to go through some more medical checks before getting a clear information about the extent of the damage," Wang told CCTV Sports yesterday. "French doctors here have said that I will be out definitely for at least two weeks, maybe even three."

Today, Spain plays Serbia in the championship game and Angola takes on China for third place.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
vagabond

Thanks for that some good useful information there. It would be sad if he ends up leaving but he's done tremendously with the NEw Zealand team and I'm sure everyone greatly appreciates that.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
barney

After losing to Brazil 5 stright times Tab finally got a win. an easy one, over Venezeula.

Winthrop forward Craig Bradshaw continued his development as an international star to help the NZ Tall Blacks break their South American drought, pacing them to a 100-70 romp over Venezuela in the Super Four Tournament at Santa Fe, Argentina.

Bradshaw had eight points early before incurring two personal fouls and sitting the entire second quarter. He returned after halftime to lead all scorers with 22 points, including two three-pointers in the fourth period.
New Zealand gained an upper hand with a flurry of treys from Pero Cameron (two) and Mark Dickel, leading 28-19 after the initial stanza. Their advantage reached double figures off a bomb from Benny Hill nearing halftime.

Venezuela struck twice from the arc upon the resumption, but completely lost their poise when center Richard Lugo was called for a foul and then a technical - his fourth personal - when he disputed the call. The Kiwis capitalized on his departure with a 13-0 run that put the game beyond their rivals' reach.

Venezeula was playing without one of its best players. Hector Romero was injured only nine seconds into the game against Argentina the night before. Romero required surgery on an elbow injury following a foul by Manu Ginobili and will miss the World Championship.

Argentina routed Venezuela 94-55. Top scorer Luis Scola`s 25 points and eight rebounds was the outstanding tally of the night, with Andres Nocioni contributing another 12 points in what was otherwise an impressive team display.

Nothing in yet on Argentina vs Brazil

In other friendly action:

Spain beat Serbia 83-63 to take first place in its pre-World Tourney. Paul Gasol, of the Grizzlies, and Juan Navarro each scored 15 to lead Spain. Darko Milicic, of the Magic, led Serbia with 19 points and 9 rebounds. In the consolation game Angola beat a Yao Mingless China 74-66.

Fresh off their triumphs in Strasbourg over Senegal, China and Lithuania, the French kept the winning momentum after establishing a 22-16 lead. They extended that to 36-25 at half time.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 AM   #13
vagabond

Thanks for the international update it's much appreciated, can be a pain in the butt trying to track down the results sometimes.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
barney

I finally found an Argentina/Brazil score but no details..found it in Brazil.

Argentina 103, Brazil 97....looks like it was a fine game.

Her is something that is interesting about the perception of the Australian team after losing the Ramsay Shield to New Zealand. Apparantly, the Aussies think they stink.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Men...198129019.html
Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #15
lowblok

Man I watched that game and Argentina just had too much fire power. They let Brazil keep coming back at them but pretty much weren't phased by anything they had.

Argentina look good to repeat what they did at the Olympics!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: