Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #16
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Zo = future HOF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Hes got 4 DPOY and was a vital part of the pistons ring. He deserves to get in along with Mutombo

^Fixed. Also only undrafted player to start an All Star game.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #17
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Zo is really the precedent for Grant Hill in my opinion. Both would have been absolute sure things if it wasn't for injury/illness. Be interesting to see how it affects them because they are both very borderline based on their careers.

Personally I think Zo should get in because of how fun the Hornets were with him and how great the Miami vs New York series were.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #18
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mourning deserve to be in the HOF, he is one of the best defender in the 1990's and during his Rookie Year he put one of the best stats beside the former 1993 NBA ROY Shaquille O'neal after averaging 21.0 pts, 10.3 rebounds, and 3.47 blocks, while playing for the Charlotte Hornets.

I do not think that Greg Oden or Greg Monroe can duplicate his amazing feat because he is such an one of the best bigmen that i have seen when i first watch the NBA in the mid 1990's. It is really shame that a kidney disease would shorten his dominance during his prime.

Career highlights

Quote:
Gold Sydney 2000 United States
NBA Champion: 2006
All-NBA First Team: 1999
All-NBA Second Team: 2000
2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 1999, 2000
2-time NBA All-Defensive First Team: 1999, 2000
7-time NBA All-Star: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002
Heat Franchise All-time Leading Scorer
Led NBA in blocked shots: 3.91 bpg in 1999
NBA All-Rookie 1st Team in 1993
Won bronze at the 1990 FIBA World Championship with the US national team
Won gold at the 1994 FIBA World Championship and the 2000 Olympic Games with the US national team

I think his NBA Career resume is enough to induct him in the basketball Hall of Fame, or the NBA HOF.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 12-11-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #19
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Patrick Ewing > Alonzo Mourning

Remember that.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #20
duncan on U
Decent playground baller

duncan on U has an OK reputation so far

yeah
duncan on U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
usdmef9
Celtics-Bears-Dodgers

usdmef9 has an OK reputation so far

ZO, Shaq, and Mutumbo are all current centers who are shoe ins imo.
usdmef9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
Bassy JR
I airball my layups

Bassy JR has an OK reputation so far

Zo will be remember for Defense and i think that defense and the hustle excites the committee and Zo is always a great competitior which has his peers and old timers in love with him...
Bassy JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My favourite 'Zo moment has to be his rookie year, he helped get the Hornets to the playoffs for the first time, Up 2-1 against Boston and down by a point in the dying seconds of game four in Charlotte. Mourning hits the buzzer beating jumper at the top of the key to win the game and send Charlotte to the second round, as opposed to a deciding game in Boston Garden. Nice start to your career, Alonzo. Much respect.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #24
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

zo's teams had some very tough luck in the playoffs over the years. the houston buzzer-beater that hit the rim and got the kind bounce. the brawl. getting the 4th seed in charlotte only to have to deal with chicago after jordan came back (and dropped 48 in game 1 to steal home court back).

i think it's close, but he should be in. great off the ball defender. good on the ball defender. 20-10 guy in his prime. i guess if dantley and gilmore can't make it after all these years, then maybe he doesn't either, but i think they all should.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #25
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

I think you guys are being a bit too lenient on who you let enter the Hall. Take a look at the list of recent inductees, and see if you can still justify Mourning's name alongside these players:

NBA Players - last 5 years:
Robert Parrish
James Worthy
Clyde Drexler
Maurice Stokes
Charles Barkley
Joe Dumars
Dominique Wilkins

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers...mers-year.html

As you can see, they only put 1-2 players in per year these days. That's an awfully exclusive group. I support Miami retiring his jersey, but let's not dillute the Hall of Fame with Mourning when there's better choices still waiting for their day in the Hall.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #26
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

I wont vote ZO in HOF....because this guy dumped a team( toranto) by not showing up and then forcing a buyout and going and joining the Miami Heat.....

if these guys are getting paid in millions....its there responsibility to show up.....

So I have no respect for him.....anyone can play good on a good team
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #27
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

You know, I've watched Mourning for his entire career and I just don't see it. He's an All Star and a great defensive player no doubt, but I never thought that I was watching a Hall of Famer. I mean his career reads more like Shawn Kemp's (without all off the court pitfalls) than anyone else and there are going to be more deserving players in the coming years than him.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #28
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
I wont vote ZO in HOF....because this guy dumped a team( toranto) by not showing up and then forcing a buyout and going and joining the Miami Heat.....

I agree. You'll notice the people elected to the Hall all tend to be great citizens and role models, in addition to being great basketball players. It tarnishes the image of basketball to reward his Toronto tantrum to get a coattail championship in Miami.

In the same vein, it'll be awhile before Rodman is inducted. By the way, Rodman > Mourning.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick27
I agree. You'll notice the people elected to the Hall all tend to be great citizens and role models, in addition to being great basketball players. It tarnishes the image of basketball to reward his Toronto tantrum to get a coattail championship in Miami.

In the same vein, it'll be awhile before Rodman is inducted. By the way, Rodman > Mourning.
i disagree. and i'm a big bulls / rodman fan. there seem to be a lot of people on ish who prefer guys who are role players on title winners over guys who are legitament centerpieces that you can build contenders around. amassing rings does not make you better than someone else when you have 1/3rd as much responsibility as him. it might get you elected to the hall faster, but it's not a sign of superiority.

dennis was never better than the 3rd best player on his team. he was extremely limited and had personality issues that required an incredibly strong leader (only zeke and jordan ever managed it - shaq and phil couldn't hold his attention for a month) to keep him focused. he was the best rebounder of his era (charles might have an argument if you removed the need to score 20+ pts a game from him at his prime, but whatever, not important right now), a great defender early in his career, and still a damn good one late. he was also a master of mind games (and took zo out of a couple playoff series early in his career) and at playing the refs.

but the only time he scored more than 10 a game was running with isiah on a team that went nowhere. in fact for a guy who could get 5+ offensive boards a game to not average double figure points more often is sort of perplexing - especially when a lot of them came when isiah, robinson, and jordan drew a healthy amount of attention away from the rim. point being, you can't build an offense around him or even count on him to produce double figure points for you like you could zo. you couldn't build a defense around him like you could zo either because his forte was pressuring forwards, not team d. zo was the best player on an eastern conference finalist than ran into one of mj's juggernaut squads. worm was never the best player on his own team. not even close.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #30
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
You know, I've watched Mourning for his entire career and I just don't see it. He's an All Star and a great defensive player no doubt, but I never thought that I was watching a Hall of Famer. I mean his career reads more like Shawn Kemp's (without all off the court pitfalls) than anyone else and there are going to be more deserving players in the coming years than him.

Kemp's career without pitfalls would be HOF too.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: