Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #31
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Zo = future HOF?

dejordan,

The Hall of Fame is more than centerpieces, it represents the best of basketball - whether that's coaching, refereeing, scoring, international play, etc. There are many people inducted that weren't the best player on their squad, or maybe not a player at all. People deserving of permanent recognition for their accomplishments get in the Hall, and I think Rodman is more qualified than Mourning.

I'm not a big Rodman supporter at all, but I use the example because it shows that only character guys get let into the Hall. Rodman is, without a doubt, the best rebounder of all time.

I remember somewhere reading that Rodman's rebounding percentage was extremely high, making even Reggie Evans' recent rebounds per 48 minutes seem extremely low. (I wish I could find the article - Rodman pulled down like 40% of the available rebounds when he played per year, at least 10% more than the next closest mark).

When I wrote my response, it was more along the lines of Rodman is more qualified for being recognized for his talents and performance than Mourning, and I stand by that. Perhaps using the shorthand > wasn't the appropriate way to portray that.

Anyway, it's all subjective. I respect your opinion.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #32
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick27
dejordan,

The Hall of Fame is more than centerpieces, it represents the best of basketball - whether that's coaching, refereeing, scoring, international play, etc. There are many people inducted that weren't the best player on their squad, or maybe not a player at all. People deserving of permanent recognition for their accomplishments get in the Hall, and I think Rodman is more qualified than Mourning.

I'm not a big Rodman supporter at all, but I use the example because it shows that only character guys get let into the Hall. Rodman is, without a doubt, the best rebounder of all time.

I remember somewhere reading that Rodman's rebounding percentage was extremely high, making even Reggie Evans' recent rebounds per 48 minutes seem extremely low. (I wish I could find the article - Rodman pulled down like 40% of the available rebounds when he played per year, at least 10% more than the next closest mark).

When I wrote my response, it was more along the lines of Rodman is more qualified for being recognized for his talents and performance than Mourning, and I stand by that. Perhaps using the shorthand > wasn't the appropriate way to portray that.

Anyway, it's all subjective. I respect your opinion.
when it comes to getting into the hall, i can see the argument for dennis over a lot of guys. he was innovative in his way and dominant in his niche.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #33
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
when it comes to getting into the hall, i can see the argument for dennis over a lot of guys. he was innovative in his way and dominant in his niche.

Rodman ????????????????????????
I say yes because of his rebounding this makes you have to consider him.
But then you think that in his whole career he was never the man on his team for that sake he was never even the Robin for a batman at best he was always the 3rd or lower best player on his team this makes him a maybe
Niquesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #35
pro5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
I wont vote ZO in HOF....because this guy dumped a team( toranto) by not showing up and then forcing a buyout and going and joining the Miami Heat.....

if these guys are getting paid in millions....its there responsibility to show up.....

So I have no respect for him.....anyone can play good on a good team

+1 I'll never respect a guy like ZO.
pro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #36
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro5
+1 I'll never respect a guy like ZO.

you're both morons. +1
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #37
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Rodman should be a first ballot guy.

He was the best defender and rebounder in the league for a decade and was a real personality, a reason to watch the sport.

Zo I'm not convinced. If you let Zo and Mutombo in you are really opening a big window for players that hasn't been there in the past, it is tough, I personally think it is a little too hard to get in but at the same time you don't want guys like McGrady, Ray Allen and Carter in there based on their careers so far and if Zo gets in, they all have to get in and then you start a process where eventually the Michael Redds get in and it means nothing.

Personally I think that Ewing, Shaq, Robinson and Hakeem are the only 90s centers that should be first ballots, maybe Mourning and Mutombo can have a case as a guy who gets in when there is a weak crop one year 20 years later.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #38
kumquat
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Hes got 3 DPOY and was a vital part of the pistons ring. He deserves to get in along with Mutombo

Come on dude, ben wallaces career can't even hold a candle to mutombo's, dude has been doing for over 10 years straight. Ben Wallace in history is a nobody. Mark Eaton had a greater career
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #39
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Ben Wallace shouldn't get ****, prime Wallace can't even sniff prime mutombo's jock strap.
he was the most important player on a team that won a title, beating out a team with 4 hall of famers on it. it was the biggest Finals upset in NBA history (or have we all forgotten?) He was able to have a Nash-esque impact on a team on the defensive side of the ball while contributing absolutely nothing on offense. and it worked. through grit, toughness and hustle alone he led 50 win teams year after year and won a championship. BW is a HOFer.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #40
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
he was the most important player on a team that won a title, beating out a team with 4 hall of famers on it. it was the biggest Finals upset in NBA history (or have we all forgotten?) He was able to have a Nash-esque impact on a team on the defensive side of the ball while contributing absolutely nothing on offense. and it worked. through grit, toughness and hustle alone he led 50 win teams year after year and won a championship. BW is a HOFer.

I'm a huge Ben Wallace fan, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, the only things he has backing him up are:

1 Ring
4x DPOY (2x back to back, amazing effort for a guy his size)
Only undrafted All Star starter (4x)
2x RPG Leader (and 2 2nd)
1x BPG Leader
6x All Defense team (5x 1st Team, 1x 2nd Team)
5 All NBA Team (3x 2nd Team, 2x 3rd Team)

I really hope he does make it, but if he does, Artis Gilmore needs to get in first, so it will be a loooooooong time before Ben does.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #41
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Rodman should be a first ballot guy.

He was the best defender and rebounder in the league for a decade and was a real personality, a reason to watch the sport.

Zo I'm not convinced. If you let Zo and Mutombo in you are really opening a big window for players that hasn't been there in the past, it is tough, I personally think it is a little too hard to get in but at the same time you don't want guys like McGrady, Ray Allen and Carter in there based on their careers so far and if Zo gets in, they all have to get in and then you start a process where eventually the Michael Redds get in and it means nothing.

Personally I think that Ewing, Shaq, Robinson and Hakeem are the only 90s centers that should be first ballots, maybe Mourning and Mutombo can have a case as a guy who gets in when there is a weak crop one year 20 years later.
Are you comparing Mike Redd to Mac, Ray and VC? He's not anywhere close to those guys when it come to greatness and accomplishments. If they don't let Zo and Deke it, it's basically saying they Hall of Fame is bias towards offensive players and not defense.

Deke is second all-time in blocks, he'll get in (not to mention his 4 DPOY, 8 All-Star games, 8+ All-D teams, 3 All-NBA teams and 2 Finals appearances)
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: